Notifications
Clear all

Metformin And Pcos Caused Evere Acne -- Seeking Treatment Suggestions!

MemberMember
(@sentry10)

Posted : 04/19/2014 4:07 pm

Hello everyone,

My name is Rachel and I am 24 years old. So a quick rundown of my acne story is--I've had very mild acne for most of my life. Aside from breakouts on my forehead (mostly comedonal) that had to do with my bangs, and the occasional breakout on my chin during my periods I never really had a big problem.

However in December, I experienced a extremely long menstrual cycle and was told by my GP, (after further testing) that I had PCOS. He recommended Metformin because I didn't want to go on birth control--ironically due to the side effects.

After 3 months of taking the Metformin my acne progressively got worse and worse. I was told by my GP that this was "normal" and that my hormone levels would balance out and my skin would eventually clear. Now it is April and I am still suffering with the worst acne I have ever had. It is primarily nodular but I have suffered from cysts, and several small uninflamed ones that itch like mad.

About a month ago I saw a dermatologist, who prescribed me with Tetracycline and Benzaclin gel, but all the Tetracycline has been doing is giving me intense stomach cramps and the Benzaclin is just drying out my skin. I don't do anything else to my skin aside from cleasing with a Spetro Jel cleanser, and moisturize with the Spectro moisturizer. I contacted the dermatologist again and he said "pills were the answer".

I'm at the end of my rope. From my understanding I'm using the regimen, (substituting the 2.5% BP with the Benzaclin), but I have not seen any results. Does anyone have any suggestions?

MemberMember
(@wishclean)

Posted : 04/20/2014 9:49 pm

Metformin was one of the things recommended to me over the years for PCOS. But I'm against taking drugs because I tried everything for PCOS and they caused other issues. I did a lot of research and found out that inositol has the same effect on PCOS as metformin, plus the added anti-androgenic bonus. Even my doctor was surprised at the results. There are studies to back this up. Check out my inositol thread if you are interested.

If your acne is not caused by insulin resistance, then metformin is not for you. You may need something that lowers testosterone and/or regulates estrogen and progesterone.

MemberMember
(@5beauty)

Posted : 04/23/2014 12:13 pm

Try vitex alone or combine it with saw palmetto. If you seek for an anti androgen effect and general hormone balance these supplements are good. But they need time to work.