Notifications
Clear all

Possible Acne, Dermatologist Does Not Know. Any Suggestions For Treatment?

MemberMember
(@rangers24)

Posted : 03/23/2014 12:28 pm

I have had a few red marks on my cheeks for a couple years now. They don't become spots and don't hurt to touch and aren't lumps under the skin. Just these little circular red marks on my cheeks. This time last year I went to my gp and she gave me hibiscrub and a tablet I forget the name of, for what she thought was acne. Nothing happened so was sent to a dermatologist who was baffled. He gave me tetracycline, which made no difference as well. Went back and he gave me oxytetracycline, which again made no real difference. He originally thought I had folliculitis due to shaving.

I changed how I shaved and have a beard most of the time so rarely use a razor on my cheeks. He suggested I have a biopsy done a few weeks ago, with the results either saying I have rosacea or atypical acne. He wants to put me on isotretinoin, which I am very against going on. I have a few friends who have had issues with it. Since seeing him last I have started getting proper spots on my chin and in certain areas on my cheeks. I have also noticed that there are little lumps under the skin now, like a cyst. These are sore to touch. None of these are where I had the original red marks though.

I use a Boots tea tree and witch hazel foaming face wash in the mornings and exfoliate once a week with Bulldog exfoliating scrub and use Bulldog moisturiser most days. I am really getting fed up with having poor skin. I wouldn't say it is severe, but it is a real annoyance. I never had issues when I was younger and am 23 now. I don't want to go on isotretinoin as the marks I have aren't severe. Is there anything that could work?

post-385153-0-79034800-1395594577.jpg

post-385153-0-42967600-1395594630.jpg

post-385153-0-79712700-1395594692.jpg

post-385153-0-79034800-1395594577.jpg

post-385153-0-42967600-1395594630.jpg

post-385153-0-79712700-1395594692.jpg

MemberMember
(@luckydory)

Posted : 03/23/2014 3:57 pm

You can probably get it under control another way but I wouldn't leave accutane off the table. I have the same type of situation going on I only get a couple spots here and there like you but some can be cystic and ultimately scar, looks like you have avoided scarring so far, be thankful for that. I would give the accutane a shot only after trying everything else that your dermatologist recommends.

MemberMember
(@hatemost)

Posted : 03/24/2014 7:31 am

Maybe accutane is the only way to get tid of it fast.. You are full of beard and it's somewhat difficult to take care your skin unless you shave your beard off.. I wouldh't try it though, because you probably gonna get some scars. I would suggest you tell your derm to put you on low dose accutane treatment for 2-3 months..

you have pretty big pores btw

MemberMember
(@rangers24)

Posted : 03/26/2014 1:41 pm

Is having big pores a problem? I only recently grew a beard, my skin was bad before and my routine didn't help when I was clean shaven. The larger mark on my right cheek is the scar from the biopsy. I've started washing my face in the evening after a hot shower, my reasoning being the pores will open up and it will work better. I have found that it has got rid of most of the spots on my chin and has brought some on my cheeks to the surface. The thing that puts me off about accutane is not only the side effects, but my dermatologist is prescribing it for the red marks, which aren't spots. The photos may not show it that well, but many of the marks on my cheeks are just that, marks. They don't become spots. Would accutane work with them? The dermatologist thought I had folliculitis for a long time and still isn't sure.

MemberMember
(@hatemost)

Posted : 03/27/2014 1:38 am

dunno mate.. if i was you i would have started accutane on low dose by now... If big pores are bad? Yes to an extent.. Big pores tend to cause breaks out because can be clogged pretty easy since oil and dirt can get in easier. That's why if you search arround the net almost everyone searching tricks to shrink them. which is 100% impossible to change your pores' size. other than that.. make your face look uneven : P

I too had Red marks and i can assure you that once you are done with accutane u aint gonna have Red marks from old pimples etc.. :)

MemberMember
(@rangers24)

Posted : 04/05/2014 3:42 pm

I have a dermatologist appointment booked for beginning of May where he will discuss accutane with me. In the UK the NHS works slowly. I thought as it's long enough away I will try and cut dairy our of my diet to see if I may have an intolerance. I have read that a lot of people have this issue and when they cut dairy out their skin gets better. I do have milk everyday so it's worth a try in the month before my appointment. I started to get the marks on my cheeks when I went to uni and shared accommodation with a dude who was gross and pretty unhygenic and had bad skin himself. Is that just a coincidence? I'm almost certain sure he passed ringworm to my leg, which I did heal thankfully. I have never had skin issues until I lived in a flat with that turd.(Was not fond of him for many reasons).