Notifications
Clear all

What Do I Do Now?

MemberMember
(@jah410)

Posted : 02/13/2014 2:23 pm

Quick story of my journey- I started having acne around the age of 12, I am a male so normally this is a little early but still fairly normal. It started on my forehead and I did all the home products like BP, BHA etc. and it was doable. As time went on, it got worse, and moved around my face and appeared on my upper back. I went on antibiotics and they didn't do a thing. So fast forward about a year and I am 14. At this point I was probably in the upper side of moderate acne. Went from my upper back to my lower back mostly following my spine, around my shoulders, and on my chest. Also at this point my cheeks were covered and also my jawline a little. I went to a new derm and she said that since antibiotics hadn't worked, she thought I should go on accutane. Finally something that I had heard worked! And it did. Cleared up my skin amazingly over a 6 month period building up to 120 ml a day. Once I stopped, I think I got about 3 months for the acne to start reappearing on my face (bad around my jaw) and then maybe another 2 for it to start on my back again. Around this time I also tore my acl and mcl doing martial arts. I had the surgery, and about 6 months later, once my knee was healed, went back to the derm and she said that acne relapses could happen sometimes and that the second course would be shorter then the first and would either permanently clear me or at least knock it back to close to nothing like it was. I took about a month and a half of the accutane again, (her plan was about 2-3 months) and then my acl retore She took me off the accutane because she didn't want me on it if I was going to have surgery soon. At this point I had cleared fairly well but not completely, but she thought that it would have done some good regardless. I had the acl surgery again but ever since, my acne has been returning. On my face, back on my back, starting from top to bottom So even the wonder drug couldn't fix me. Along with that, I am concerned the accutane could have been the cause of the acl tear but am not sure because since then, I retore the acl for a 3rd time... I keep falling into the 1 percent chance of failure rates :/ This time however I was not on the accutane.

So now I am left with no knee and terrible skin again. I am now 16, I will be 17 in April. Have dealt with acne for 5 years and have gotten no where. I have tried everything I can to fix my skin. I stopped dairy and eat healthy I have tried all the body washes, and vitamins and supplements etc. Nothing has worked. One strange thing that happened though is that my skin suddenly cleared up for the whole month of October last year and was better for a month after that. It didn't completely clear, but my face was almost perfectly clear, and my back was doing a lot better. I could tell my skin was a lot less oily at that time. I thought I was finally starting to get through it and that it was on the down slope but it was just a sick twist of fate I guess. I have tried to replicate the conditions but can not get my skin to fix itself again.

So now what do I do? I have tried mapping my diet, weather conditions products etc.and just have a bunch of mixed up data. I am almost certain it is hormones because every once in a while my skin will feel less oily and I can tell I'll be clearing up over the next few days. After which I can feel my skin feel more oily and can tell it will be getting worse over the next few days. Keep in mind I'm a male so what do I do? Nothing seems permanent, but I'm wondering if they're is something wrong with my hormones or something. Obviously there is something wrong with me...

Oh I thought I should add that I have always seemed to be a little ahead of most guys when it comes to development. I'm not necessarily tall or anything, but my voice changed earlier then most guys, and I have more facial hair then most guys at 15, 16... Iv'e read that it can mean higher levels of testosterone but it's not like you can really change that...

MemberMember
(@cupcakejess)

Posted : 02/14/2014 9:55 pm

You can try the regimen, or talk to your dermatologist. My acne also came back severely after I tried Retin-A with Clindamycin. I talked to my doctor and he put me back on it. It took so many months but now I am clearing up better. I stopped using it a while back. I recently started the regimen, and I am so clear now. I am very happy with it, but I don't want to stay on products all my life :/ But hey, if it works, its more worth it than having severe acne for the rest of your life. Thing is, you can only use accutane for a certain amount of time, not forever, so its better to try the regimen so that you can keep going with it so that you stay clear. So, my advice to you is to either follow the regimen, or see what your dermatologist has to say.

MemberMember
(@steela)

Posted : 02/17/2014 11:18 am

Try the regimen! It works! I started breaking out when I was 16 my acne was bad i tried everything until I started doing the regimen and just two weeks in im almost completely clear make sure you buy the jojoba oil and the AHA those really help

MemberMember
(@steela)

Posted : 02/17/2014 11:25 am

Try the regimen! It works! I started breaking out when I was 16 my acne was bad i tried everything until I started doing the regimen and just two weeks in im almost completely clear make sure you buy the jojoba oil and the AHA those really help