First Week - Is Thi...

Notifications
Clear all

First Week - Is This Normal?

MemberMember
(@irignation)

Posted : 02/02/2014 8:26 am

Insight: So I started the regimen about 4 days ago. I've suffered from acne for quite a long time and I've used benzoyl peroxide before, so when I started the regimen I started with the full 2 pumps of benzoyl peroxide.

So the first 2 days it was like it always is with benzoyl peroxide. Your skin gets quite red and a bit flaky, no biggie. But now on the third and fourth days my skin has turned EXTREMELY dry and it's flaking EVERYWHERE. It's gotten to the point where it's difficult to open my mouth because my face is cracking so much.

I cannot get the Acne.org products, so I had to get something else. These are the products that I use:

• ACO cleanser (with Sodium Laureth Sulfate as the second ingredient as I couldn't find a better equivalent.)
  • 5% Benzoyl Peroxide (because there was absolutely no 2.5% available)
  • Neutrogena Visibly Clear oil-free moisturizer (Here's the product: [removed])

I noticed the extreme dryness and flakiness after I came out of the shower on the third day.

Should I consider new products or is there something else that I'm doing wrong?

MemberMember
(@heyitskaye)

Posted : 02/02/2014 11:39 am

5% is not recommended for the regimen. Its just too irritating. You definitely need find a 2.5% BP if you really want this to work hun

MemberMember
(@patrick95)

Posted : 02/02/2014 11:52 am

I used the regimen with 5% BP as well and I had the same side effects as you mentioned above. My skin was also extremely dry and cracked everywhere. However, after a few weeks the worst stage was gone for me, so I would just go for it for a few weeks if I were you. Jojoba oil really helped me when my skin was extremely dry by the way;)

MemberMember
(@dunedain)

Posted : 02/02/2014 12:07 pm

I think you should have started with a smaller dosage - 2 fingers is a lot of BP. I think many of us here have used BP before the regimen since that's what a lot of doctors suggest, so we're all 'used' to BP. But 2 fingers worth of BP twice a day is a lot. Unless that's how much BP you've been using on a daily basis for the past few months, I'm not surprised your skin is drying out.

Cut down on the BP and add some jojoba oil to your moisturiser and I think you'll be fine. Slow and steady wins the race with the DKR.

MemberMember
(@brandylad)

Posted : 02/02/2014 2:23 pm

completely normal, will just take longer for your skin to get used to it.. i like you couldn't get any 2.5% so i'm using 4%.. two weeks in my skin isn't really red so much just extremely dry

MemberMember
(@juicy-c)

Posted : 02/03/2014 12:48 pm

Stick to the products on the product sheet. The most moisturizing thing I found is Johnsons and Johnsons baby head to toe wash. 5% is waay to irritating. That's prolly wy its not working.