Notifications
Clear all

Drinking On Accutane?

MemberMember
(@iwillsurvive)

Posted : 01/29/2014 4:15 am

I'm a 21 year old male currently on day 2 of accutane(oratane), 20mg a day. I want to know about how you go about taking accutane and drinking alcohol...

I know drinking alcohol taxes your liver and is even worse for you when you are on accutane, but I'm a college student and it's pretty hard not to have a few drinks at the end of the week with your mates. I asked my derm about this before we started and he said it would be perfectly fine to have a few drinks while on the drug. But is it okay to be taking accutane right before drinking though? I normally take my pills right after dinner. Say if I knew I would be drinking that night would it be smart to skip my pill for that night or would that not make a difference at all? would it be okay to take my pill as normal then drink maybe 1-2hrs later?

Thanks

MemberMember
(@david-lortscher)

Posted : 01/29/2014 5:13 pm

Hi,

Accutane has a long half-life and stays in your system relatively consistently. It's definitely OK to skip a dose every once in a while - some people with sensitive skin are instructed to take it every other day instead of daily.

If your derm says it's OK, then it is probably ok to drink a little. Just remember to do it in moderation. You don't want to mess with your liver.

Hope that helps!

MemberMember
(@megtree)

Posted : 01/29/2014 5:44 pm

I have heard the exact same thing as the poster above. As much as it stinks, I've decided to completely abstain from drinking while on accutane though, 1) I don't want to risk affecting the accutane's efficacy, and alcohol definitely effects how well it's absorbed. 2) It's just easier for me not to drink at all rather than worry limiting my alcohol or only drinking a little bit.

I'm sure having a drink or two at the end of the week won't hurt you - just remember to drink lots of water!!

MemberMember
(@iwillsurvive)

Posted : 01/30/2014 12:38 am

Hi,

Accutane has a long half-life and stays in your system relatively consistently. It's definitely OK to skip a dose every once in a while - some people with sensitive skin are instructed to take it every other day instead of daily.

If your derm says it's OK, then it is probably ok to drink a little. Just remember to do it in moderation. You don't want to mess with your liver.

Hope that helps!

I have heard the exact same thing as the poster above. As much as it stinks, I've decided to completely abstain from drinking while on accutane though, 1) I don't want to risk affecting the accutane's efficacy, and alcohol definitely effects how well it's absorbed. 2) It's just easier for me not to drink at all rather than worry limiting my alcohol or only drinking a little bit.

I'm sure having a drink or two at the end of the week won't hurt you - just remember to drink lots of water!!

Thanks for the replies! so if accutane stays in your system anyway, could I just take the pills on the same night I'm going to drink? My derm never told me anything about skipping a pill before drinking or anything like that so that's why i ask

MemberMember
(@david-lortscher)

Posted : 01/30/2014 12:42 am

Yeah, that's right. No need to skip a pill. Just keep the drinking in moderation and you should be fine...

MemberMember
(@ucfknight14)

Posted : 01/30/2014 3:45 am

As a fellow college student on accutane and on a second course, I suggest you not drink for the time being. With all the stress and things going one while we are in college, our body is already working hard. And with accutane in our system, it doesn't really help our immune system, especially when it is drying is out like crazy. The liver is suffering enough and adding alcohol is not a good idea. I also suggest that you do not skip your pills either......I mean it would defeat the whole purpose of the dermatologist prescribing that dosage for our daily intake. You have to be consistently on it. This is my second course of accutane and my current derm told me my last derm didn't prescribe me the correct amount for daily dosage so my acne returned.Btw, I took my first course of accutane my freshmen year of college and being on accutane in college sucks but it works. Good Luck!