Notifications
Clear all

Clogged Pores Even With Using Retinoid Daily.. May I Have Some Suggestions?

MemberMember
(@barold)

Posted : 01/25/2014 8:07 am

Hello everyone,

First, I wanted to just express my thanks to the admins here for providing this amazing forum.

So, let me give you the short version of the story:

For the past 2 years, I've been on this regimen

Sodium Sulfacetamide & Sulfur (10/5 or 9/4.5) wash, twice per day - (formerly Prascion FC cloths but they're no longer available)

Desonide lotion once in the morning, post-shower

Splash water on face after sweating profusely (at the gym)

Ziana gel at night

This has cleared up my skin a lot, but I have noticed lately that I have a lot of clogged pores, and they sometimes progress into blackheads or pimples. (I should note that I first tried the Acne.org regimen, and it did work to a respectable degree, but this regimen has worked much better for me.)

I mentioned this to my dermatologist, and he said I would need to use a retinoid. I kindly reminded him that I use Ziana gel, and after that he sort of didn't have much to suggest.

So what do you guys think? Should I try an exfoliating cloth? I tend to remember that when I used the cloths that I didn't have this issue as much, maybe because they were textured? Hard to say.

Lastly, I know that Sumaxin cloths are out there now, but they are not covered by my insurance (despite the wash I use being a generic and it having the same ingredients).

Oh, PS, my diet consists of 2 cups coffee in the morning, a rotisserie chicken everyday, 2 very low carb protein bars, 1 hard boiled egg, some olive oil, and a tablespoon or so of coconut oil. On the weekends I eat 3-4 eggs per day, and I have pork or steak. I drink about a gallon of water per day, and I supplement with zinc as well. I do *not* consume sugars or refined carbohydrates at all, as these cause me instantly to break out.

neenbainc liked
MemberMember
(@calumma)

Posted : 01/25/2014 1:23 pm

Add a BHA to your regimen. You could start wtih Paulas Choice 2% extra strength exfoliating solution or the gel, and on some evenings add an AHA for the flaking . If this does not get it under control, there are stronger chemical peels available e.g. by MUAC. But for me, those were sufficient. You definately have to find a regiment that lets you come off this crazy diet.

MemberMember
(@barold)

Posted : 01/25/2014 3:26 pm

My diet isn't crazy, but thanks for your concern.

MemberMember
(@leadingforce)

Posted : 01/25/2014 4:45 pm

i would say reduce to 1 cup of coffee , get rid of olive oil and stick with coconut oil organic its the best and get rid of the eggs it can cause acne

MemberMember
(@sirius-lee)

Posted : 01/26/2014 12:39 am

This is the culprit IMO. Try to minimize sweating. More "profusely" you sweat, the drier will your skin become as a result. In order to compensate for the loss of moisture, the sebacious gland will "profusely" pump out more oil. Cut down your time at the gym and see if that makes any difference.

MemberMember
(@calumma)

Posted : 01/27/2014 8:32 am

Well....as you say this is your diet, to my understanding that means that the only things you ingest are water, caffeine (acne trigger), meat , eggs (acne trigger) and artificial dietary products (that very likely containing artificial sweeteners, acne trigger) plus olive oil (acne trigger for many like most vegetable oils except coconut oil) . No fruits, no vegetables. Yes, I think this is a crazy diet and you are clogging your pores with it.

I

MemberMember
(@beliberkatie)

Posted : 01/27/2014 8:43 am

Say no to coconut oil that stuff cloges up your great grand children iternally and externally. Try tea tree oil and witch hazel. And try a conair facial steamer its cheap and opens your pores. If u use makeup always wear tea tree oil under it as a base so that it fights against the make up trying to clog u up and mix a little baking soda into ur powder for the same reason. Sulpur is the best :) hope this helps. Best of luck

MemberMember
(@olly-c)

Posted : 01/27/2014 5:41 pm

Say no to coconut oil that stuff cloges up your great grand children iternally and externally. Try tea tree oil and witch hazel. And try a conair facial steamer its cheap and opens your pores. If u use makeup always wear tea tree oil under it as a base so that it fights against the make up trying to clog u up and mix a little baking soda into ur powder for the same reason. Sulpur is the best smile.png hope this helps. Best of luck

Hahaha I cracked up about the great grand children :')

Yeah I agree with the coconut and olive oil... Try to stay away from them.

I have heard great stuff about jojoba oil dissolving clogged pores and blackheads.

I would also suggest BHA such as salicylic acid treatment (possibly higher strength peels monthly?)

MemberMember
(@goodz19)

Posted : 01/28/2014 3:35 pm

This is the culprit IMO. Try to minimize sweating. More "profusely" you sweat, the drier will your skin become as a result. In order to compensate for the loss of moisture, the sebacious gland will "profusely" pump out more oil. Cut down your time at the gym and see if that makes any difference.

Im sorry but ^^^ is totally unfounded.

MemberMember
(@annalastname)

Posted : 02/07/2014 10:23 pm

I agree with the suggestion of adding a well formulated salicylic acid. Paula's Choice has a few and Neutrogena has one (I think it's the 3-in-1 Stress Control). Most salicylic acid products are not very effective due to being either rinsed off in a wash or having too high of a PH.

If I was you, I'd stop the sulfur treatment. It's potentially irritating your face and possibly triggering your skin to produce more oil.

Those three things are about the only things that unclog pores : Tetrinoin, salicylic acid and extractions.

As to your diet, it sounds like it needs some antioxidants in the form of fruits and veggies. I don't know about the whole diet/acne connection, but if there is any truth to it, yours doesn't seem very "anti-infammatory". Where is the fish, the fruits, the veggies.

MemberMember
(@paigems)

Posted : 02/07/2014 11:40 pm

You should compare the ingredients in the products you use (even the prescription ones) to this list here: https://www.sageskincare.com/Articles.asp?ID=255

I was using sodium sulfacetamide lotion and it was clogging me badly.