Notifications
Clear all

New To This! Help?

MemberMember
(@lyssamarie)

Posted : 01/24/2014 3:10 pm

So my friend just told me about this website so I'm a newbie and there's just so much information to sort through that I thought I might post my own story to get some help?

I'm twenty-one years old and I had absolutely no acne until I was about nineteen. I know it's hormonal because it will be huge breakouts a week before my period.

Lately I've been having month-long acne and I'm not even having those clear skin breaks. I mostly break out on the sides of my chin (big, most noticeable acne spots that occur every month) and then nose, forehead, and other places. I'm MOSTLY concerned/annoyed about the sides of the chin.

The doctor put me on doxycycline but it made me throw up and wasn't helping.

I eat strictly vegetarian with limited dairy and lately I've also been wondering if all of the soy I eat from my vegetarian diet has anything to do with my hormone levels being messed up.

I use the brand Simple for face wash, moisturizer, and night cream.

I'd rather go the natural way with this but I'll try anything that will work. I'm interested in spiro since there are a lot of posts about it on here and would love any recommendations for natural remedies/supplements as well.

This acne makes me so self-conscious and makes me wear too much makeup when I have to leave the house (which I know isn't helping). Lately I've kind of given up on it so I'm really glad I found this website to help me find a solution.

Suggestions? Comments?

:)

MemberMember
(@user143021)

Posted : 01/24/2014 4:29 pm

If you're interested in a natural form of Spironolactone you could try Saw Palmetto or DIM since they are both anti-androgens like Spiro.

DIM worked for me and has for others, but not everyone. The same goes for Saw Palmetto for some it works, and others it doesn't. It's really trial and error when it comes to supplementing for yourself. I have heard that Saw Palmetto can be estrogenic, so it may be too much if you eat a lot of soy too. Spiro is somewhat estrogenic so I experienced a lot of side effects from it (weight gain, hair loss, etc.) but for others it has worked without side effects. DIM helps balance estrogens and promotes good estrogen metabolism, so it could be helpful in that respect as well.

Just be aware that if you start any of these (or any hormonal method, really) it takes at least a few months to really see results. If you are patient it can be very worth the wait, though! (:

And btw, welcome to the boards! If you need any help just ask... there are lots of intelligent, helpful, and nice people here! Good luck! (:

MemberMember
(@quetzlcoatl)

Posted : 01/24/2014 6:58 pm

Yes, soy contains phytoestrogens which can mess with your hormones. If you're looking to do a diet for health reasons (including acne), I would recommend paleo. If you're doing it for ethical reasons, then you should try to find a non-soy source of protein. Pescetarianism would also be great. I would also recommend consuming more fat in general, especially in the forms of coconut oil, avocado, and butter.

Also, avoid antibiotics, accutane, etc - the long term detriments can be far worse than the short term benefits, but you probably already know that. Antiandrogens could work, but I would suggest at least combining them with dietary modification for a more permanent solution. Remember that anything you do, be it diet modification or antianderogens, will take quite some time to work.

MemberMember
(@hunniebun)

Posted : 01/24/2014 7:59 pm

Hello and sorry that you are suffering. I am older but also have hormonal acne. I was pregnant and breastfeeding for about 2 years, so also had to try all natural things during that time...but sadly wasn't able to find a combination that worked. I am currently on my second round of antibiotics. The first worked like a miricle and this time the result are slower. Just this week I added Saw Palmetto and will try that a few months to see what happens while I wait for a determatologist. I have just been seeing my regular GP and she is nice enough, but it is not her expertise. I requested Spiro and she said no due to the high risk for increased potassium in your body which can be dangerous. But if this doesn't work I might beg :) Just know that you are not alone and try different things until you find one that is right for you. I have tried cutting out all dairy, sugar, processed foods etc for months with zero effect...so for me foods don't appear to be the trigger, but it is worth a try to elimate them for a month or two and see what happens? Keep us posted!

MemberMember
(@nuckingfuts)

Posted : 02/25/2014 11:20 am

only fermented soy should be eaten...................non-fermented soy is very very bad for the body............anyway..........

you can try what worked for me - 12 drops daily of 2% Lugol's iodine with 200mcg selenium and sea salt in distilled water

try getting some sun on your face and use aloe vera gel on the pimples.