Notifications
Clear all

Shallow Acne Scar Help

MemberMember
(@potatolad)

Posted : 01/19/2014 7:26 pm

I have recently noticed that I have two shallow acne scars on my face, one on each side. They are very shallow, and can not be seen very easily unless the light hits my face in certain ways. I have recently talked to someone about it, and they said that they never even noticed them, but I still get depressed over them anyway whenever I see my reflection.

I have just turned 20, and wanted to know if they may possibly fade to some extent over time. I am not against getting treatment from a dermatologist, but I would like to know if waiting it out would show any positive change, even if just a little, as that would be much more preferable. I believe that they are either boxcar or rolling scars, but I'm honestly not sure how to tell the difference between the two. They are pretty shallow though.

I really appreciate any info you can provide. Thanks for taking the time to help.

MemberMember
(@kb2000)

Posted : 01/23/2014 6:22 am

Rolling scars have soft edges, like a very shallow dip. It's a gradual depression. Box scars are harder edges, very dramatic difference. Yours are probably rolling, if they need certain lighting to be seen.

If other people don't notice them, you should try not to obsess about it. Go talk to a dermatologist if they bother you that much, but understand that some doctors will just try to sell you a procedure, and it might not always work. If they aren't bad scars, maybe just consider yourself lucky and try to move on.

If you are determined to do something, for rolling scars, a lot of people seem to respond to subcision. It's relatively inexpensive and you can see results right away (although it creates bruising that lasts a couple weeks). Maybe you have a local doctor who does subcision for acne scars, call some dermatologists and see if you can get a recommendation. Subcision with suction (or a temporary filler) afterwards, seems to be effective.