Notifications
Clear all

Deka Smartxide Fractional Co2 Laser Or Fraxel Repair

MemberMember
(@thomasknowles)

Posted : 12/16/2013 5:36 pm

Hi Guys

I'm Looking into getting some laser treatment to help improve my skin after my acne days, its just very rough, sun damage and wrinkles before my time.

I am looking at the two following Deka SmartXide Fractional Co2 Laser or Fraxel Repair

I do want to get the one that is going to get my the best results, could anyone advise. I have been google but I get a lot of conflicting information.

MemberMember
(@dudleydoright)

Posted : 12/16/2013 7:04 pm

Deka's SmartXide Dot Versus Solta's Fraxel re:pair

+3

Hi Sunny,

A year ago at this time, Fraxel re:pair and Total FX were the only fractionated CO2 lasers on the market. Last June there were about 7, and today there are over 10 with that number continuing to grow over the next few years.

SmartXide Dot is manufactured by Deka. The delivery of the laser is a scanned stamping mode. The wave length is 10600 nm, the density ranges from 5-100%, the pulse duration is 200us to 80ms, the pulse delivery is SuperPulse, and there are no consumables or smoke evacuation system built in. The spot size, energy levels, and depth of penetration are not available.

The Fraxel re:pair is the only fractionated laser that has IOTS (roller paintbrush) application. Fraxel re:pair has over 30 publications in scientific peer reviewed cosmetic and surgical journals (as of last June the closest competitor had 2). The wavelength is 10600 nm, the spot size is less than 140 microns, the density ranges from 5-70%, the energy varies from 5-70 mj, the depth is up to 1.6 millimeter, the pulse duration is 0.15-3 ms, the delivery is UltraPulse, the maximum coverage rate is 1200 sq mm per sec (the fastest), there are consumables, and there is a built in integrated smoke evacuation system.

All fractionated CO2 lasers are very powerful rejuvenation tools. I personally chose Fraxel re:pair because of its 2 1/2 years of clinical research prior to release and its effectiveness and safety profiles.

Dr. P

Show less

Michael A. Persky, MD

Michael A. Persky, MD

Los Angeles Facial Plastic Surgeon

22 reviews

drpersky.com

MemberMember
(@acnescar123)

Posted : 12/17/2013 1:55 am

They're both good lasers with the proper aggressive settings. Both will be bad with low settings.

Re:pair is more proven and technically deeper.

The xide can go just as deep with proper settings (but it uses "pulses") and has the advantage of being able to treat up to 100% ablation.

Dudley - just so you know that's in reference to an old smartxide. There's been a new version out for a few years.

MemberMember
(@thomasknowles)

Posted : 12/17/2013 3:08 am

Thanks for the advice guysI appreciate it

MemberMember
(@numan)

Posted : 12/17/2013 3:49 am

To me, I think it is best that your derm/PS is well acquainted will the laser that they are operating, regardless of its properties. I would die before I allow a medispa staff apply laser resurfacing on my face, because it appears that bad reviews happen mostly when medispas recommend a their client a laser treatment.

Anyhow, I underwent CO2RE Fractional CO2 resurfacing over 2 months ago and I am starting to see results only today. I believe that CO2RE is somewhere between Mixto and Re:pair, and it uses a hexagonal scanning-stamping mode. Back to your question, my derm actually recommended CO2RE over Re:pair even when he had both in his office, he said it was more effective for MY case. Though I cannot do a comparison since I did not do both lasers. All in all, I think it is more important that your derm knows what he/she is talking about, especially if their advice includes for you to have real expectations (instead of "your skin will look 100% improved", that's a red flag to most people on the forums).

If your scarring is bad, try to discuss YOUR expectations with them first and see if they would recommend combined treatments that might be more effective to treat your scarring. Cheers.

MemberMember
(@thomasknowles)

Posted : 12/17/2013 7:54 am

I have spoken to quotes the smartxide is 900 and fraxel repair is 3100. So i assume it cannot be as good as they advise it takes mutiple treatments of smartxide I just want one treatment and get it done with

MemberMember
(@zavvi)

Posted : 12/17/2013 9:43 am

I have spoken to quotes the smartxide is 900 and fraxel repair is 3100. So i assume it cannot be as good as they advise it takes mutiple treatments of smartxide I just want one treatment and get it done with

dont be fooled one and done doesnt exist

MemberMember
(@thomasknowles)

Posted : 12/17/2013 10:58 am

I would agree with scars maybe but I don't have them, I mainly looking at skin texture.

MemberMember
(@zavvi)

Posted : 12/17/2013 10:59 am

I would agree with scars maybe but I don't have them, I mainly looking at skin texture.

there scars i have them as well

MemberMember
(@acnescar123)

Posted : 12/17/2013 4:08 pm

Smartxide is cheaper because it has no consumables - re:pair does + re:pair is more expensive for the PS to buy. Has nothing to do with the power of the laser.

MemberMember
(@thomasknowles)

Posted : 12/18/2013 11:06 am

Hi guys thanks for all the feedback

I have decided to the following

I going to have the smartxide treatment which works out much cheaper, I can get around 3 treatments for around 1500 which i believe is to bad.

The place is much closer as well.

MemberMember
(@acnescar123)

Posted : 12/18/2013 3:16 pm

Just make sure they go to a depth of ~1.5mm+ or it won't give you the effects you want.