Notifications
Clear all

Birth Control Questions

MemberMember
(@cs99)

Posted : 12/16/2013 2:55 pm

Hi! I am nearing the end of pack 2 of ortho cyclen and while I know I need to give it at least three months, I'm getting a little annoyed at my progress (Got an annoying ovulation breakout)

So my questions are

1) I noticed that although I am still getting new blemishes, my skin is a lot drier. Does this indicate that it will work? Did anyone else see a reduction in oil before they started to clear?

2) How many months do you stay on a bc pill to give it a chance but not waste too much time? I want to give it at least 2-3 packs, but should I change after the third pack and no progress?

3) does birth control stop ovulation and ovulation breakouts? I got them my first month and now during my second. Will they stop eventually?

MemberMember
(@paigems)

Posted : 12/16/2013 3:59 pm

I don't think 2-3 months is enough time to give a birth control pill. You should see improvement by then (like the drier skin), but it can take up to 6 months to see the full effects that a pill will have on your acne. Also, most pills will probably not stop all your acne unless they are an anti androgen.

MemberMember
(@cs99)

Posted : 12/16/2013 4:07 pm

I am wondering if I should change to one that is anti androgen, like Yasmin or Diane 35.

MemberMember
(@brenmc)

Posted : 12/16/2013 8:03 pm

I think they might work faster.

MemberMember
(@kim28)

Posted : 12/16/2013 8:16 pm

Diane is generally the most effective for acne, but it also comes with a much higher risk of blood clots and heart failure. That is why it is banned in the States, and so far as I know they no longer sell it in France either due to deaths. So, I would give the ortho a chance before jumping on the Yaz or Diane train. I use Diane, and I do think it is effective for those who struggle with serious hormonal acne, but I am always quite concerned about the risks.

MemberMember
(@green-gables)

Posted : 12/17/2013 12:26 am

In a lot of women, having a low-androgenic progestin plus a decent amount of estrogen (which Ortho Cyclen has) is enough, because estrogen itself opposes testosterone.