Why Does Moisturize...

Notifications
Clear all

Why Does Moisturizer Make My Skin Burn?

MemberMember
(@michaelfoster)

Posted : 12/12/2013 5:25 pm

Please Help Me. I cant figure out why all moisturizers cause my skin to feel like it's burning.

I use:

• Cetaphil Cleanser
  • 5% Benezol Peroxide (Which the directions say to wash off and I do)

I then use either Cetaphil Moisturizer or Neutrogena Oil-Free Visibly Clear. Both of which cause the aforementioned effect. I can't figure out why as soon as I put on moisturizer, even the Cetaphil one which is supposedly meant for "Sensitive or Dry Skin" ,causes my face to start burning. My skin has also become extremely dry and oily, and moisturizer seems to be making it worse.Maybe it is an ingredient?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

MemberMember
(@green-gables)

Posted : 12/12/2013 10:09 pm

On 12/13/2013 at 4:25 AM, MichaelFoster said:

Please Help Me. I cant figure out why all moisturizers cause my skin to feel like it's burning.

I use:

• Cetaphil Cleanser
  • 5% Benezol Peroxide (Which the directions say to wash off and I do)

I then use either Cetaphil Moisturizer or Neutrogena Oil-Free Visibly Clear. Both of which cause the aforementioned effect. I can't figure out why as soon as I put on moisturizer, even the Cetaphil one which is supposedly meant for "Sensitive or Dry Skin" ,causes my face to start burning. My skin has also become extremely dry and oily, and moisturizer seems to be making it worse.Maybe it is an ingredient?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

When I used benzoyl peroxide, it stripped my skin so badly that anything on my face made it burn. It's not the moisturizer, it's the BP.

MemberMember
(@y0y0ma)

Posted : 01/07/2014 10:35 pm

I agree, try to get 2.5 BP instead of 5. Also, maybe use less or use it less often, eventually the burning will go away, your skin just has to get used to it.

MemberMember
(@darkdubzs)

Posted : 01/13/2014 10:22 pm

Ive had the exact same problem. Its not the moisturizer, its the BP. Let me explain: The BP drys out your skin very badly, the moisturizer makes your skin red and burn right after applying it; that happens because your skin naturally reacts like that when lotion or moisturizer is put on dry skin. I would suggest going to a 2.5% BP face wash (or whatever product youre using) and if it still is dry, keep using the moisturizer, once the skin is not so dry, the red and burning will stop. If the 2.5% is not enough to fight the acne, go back to 5%, but always use moisturizer after you use the BP.

Ever have had your hands get very dry and even possibly start to crack from dryness? (i have) Then when you put on skin lotion, your hands get kinda red and start to burn? Same thing applies to the skin on your face, except your skin will flake off rather than crack like your hands would. Trust me, once your face gets moisturized again and not so dry, the redness and burning will stop when you apply moisturizer. Hope i helped!

P.S. i suggest you check out Olay Sensitive Moisture Therapy Lotion: http://www.acne.org/olay-sensitive-moisture-therapy-lotion-reviews-576/ Just in case your current stuff isnt moisturizing enough or etc. This stuff makes my face super soft and takes away all dryness from using 2.5% BP leave-on-face medication. Also helps fade away acne scars, but mostly for moisturizing.

Good luck!

MemberMember
(@jenjen84)

Posted : 10/15/2014 12:00 am

Our bodies are amazing and they tell us whts good or harmful to our bodies so it reacts! I'm thinking your face is burning because your skin doesn't tolerate that moisturizer dump it in the trash and try something soothing something that you know your skin will thank you for it.gentle is really always best:) I hear its good to go with something that doesn't burn skin or eyes and doesn't irritate the skin you can do long term damage

I'm allergic to bp check that out

SoniaM liked
MemberMember
(@stevenj)

Posted : 02/06/2015 11:56 pm

I have the same problem and Im getting so frustrated with dermatologists because each one keeps making my issues worse. Ive had acne in my 40s and been given all sorts of expensive and irritating prescriptions that never worked. Finally I was put on antibiotics that worked. Then I started getting hyper pigmentation. I was told that I couldn't stay on my anti biotics and was taken off. First off, the first dermatologist didnt tell me about drug allergies and I had a major allergic reaction and rash that a year later and 5 dermatologists - most lately the head of a major university can't figure out. As for my face, I now have incredible redness and I wonder if thats because of being off anti biotics. I also feel incredible burning with even the gentlest moisturizer and my skin is soooooo sooooo red and as a male I cannot wear makeup. Im soooooo frustrated cuz i look like a tomato and the dr actually said youre skin looks good - youre not gonna look like a 14 year old. As for the acne, the benzoyl peroxide is very drying as are any prescription acne products they may give you (Ive noticed the doctors and their aestheticians only are familiar and promote what they sell) One thing that has miraculously helped my acne without the drying of benzoyl peroxide is Ahava Mud Soap. Its cheap , Ive used it once a day with a Cerave cleanser the other time and I have not had a major cystic acne break in 2 months. before t was a weekly occurrence and they told me to use benzoyl peroxide washes. I agree to try to limit that if you can't. Maybe use a lower percentage or use every other or 3rd day - or maybe just do some spot treatment. Im just afraid that my skin burns and whether its safe to use any moisturizer which is needed. Another thing Ive read a lot about (and did not burn when I tried it as a moisturizer) is Argan Oil. The idea of oil on your skin is scary to people with acne but I must admit I tried it and I didnt have any breakouts as a result and I hoped that it would be better because it was pure and natural and wouldn't have other ingredients that might cause irritation. Also realize that all these products are going to make you even more sensitive to skin so sunscreen, sunscreen , sunscreen every day and reapply is crucial.

MemberMember
(@pro_vocation)

Posted : 11/18/2015 5:21 pm

I would try salicylic acid instead of benzoyl peroxide to treat acne issues personally. BP is drying and has bactericidal affects yes, but salicylic acid exfoliatescausing skin cellsto shed easier. Itopensclogged pores and neutralizesbacteria within, preventing pores from clogging up again. Itconstrictspore diameterallowing new cell growth. Not to mention that itcan help cure so many other things.Salicylic acid (from the studies I have read provided by the FDA and NCBI) isn't known to cause photosensitivity (sensitivity to the sun) but in fact is photoprotective.

If you decide to stick with BP then I agree with some of the other advice given. Maybe moved to a 2.5% concentration and gradually work your way up. The skin should develop tolerance in about a week.

There are other options as well. It might be worth it to look into Micellar cleanser. It is said to cleans the skin without compromising the skins PH.

I think it's important to note that because the body doesn't naturally produce water, only oil, over stripping the skin (dehydrating) can lead to making the acne worse. Whenever you feel that "tight" feeling after cleansing it's a potentially bad thing. It's your skins way of saying that it needs help. It will do the only thing it can...produce oil to try to remedy it. A toner will help to reset the skins PH disturbed by the cleanser/exfoliator. So I recommend a toner for after cleansing. Not to mention that it will also pick up any remnant traces of cleanser left on the skin. Toner is also a great mid-day refresher. A sort of pick-me-up.

As for the moisturizer make sure it doesn't have anything else in it like an AHA (glycolic acid) as it could aid in skin sensitivity and that it's oil free. Preferably geared towards hydration (because no matter your skin type or age we could all use hydration). Like previously mentioned by another, to an extent, it is a normal reaction whenputting moisturizer on extremely dry skinthat it can burn. It should dissipate though. It reminds me of when you move from extreme climates such as cold to hot. The skin burns but tapers off as the skin takes the time to adjust.

In the original case indicated here though, my educated guess based upon the information given, is that what is beingusedis too astringent on theskin. The moisturizer just enables you to notice it. I hope this helps.

MemberMember
(@randa1234)

Posted : 07/26/2017 6:47 pm

Same here for me although the first week and a half I started using the cetaphil oil-free moisturizing lotion with spf 30 it was fine no burning but then a week later it just started burning so suddenly idk is it because my skin has become way more drythroughout the week or what, but anyways I'm going to visit my dermatologist on August he third so hopefully I'll get some more answers there as well

MemberMember
(@adventurewake)

Posted : 07/27/2017 11:48 am

usually it means your skin is too dry ORRR the moisturizer has oils..
When you put it on you dont glob it on right? You should use a sparing amount to use all over the face.
Also if moisturizer is really the one at fault here, try using some kind of aloe gel or aloe face mist. Aloe is hydrating and only use pure aloe, it will take place of a moisturizer and provide enough hydration while not causing any acne.

MemberMember
(@skyesthelimit)

Posted : 08/09/2017 4:28 am

I don't think that it would be the moisturizer's 'fault'. Try applying the moisturizer without Benzoyl Peroxide and see if it still has the same effect on you.

With Cetaphil, I think it's one of the mildest cleansers out there so I am in total disbelief if this is what's causing you the burning sensation.

MemberMember
(@jessica_celeri)

Posted : 10/12/2017 9:50 pm

I have had almost every face lotion burn my skin except the really oily ones like the ponds dry skin cream. And I've had lotion burn my skin even when I haven't washed with anything with BP or S.A. so I'm not sure what it is. I've tried several different products the last few years. One of the only ones that didn't burn was the Mary Kay time wise moisturizer but the whole skin care line didn't actually improve my skin it just didn't burn. I bought some stuff today but after the lovely burning sensation I got after putting the lotion on I'm seriously considering taking it all back to ulta and getting the acne.org system. Has anyone with this problem tried it and had success?

MemberMember
(@rondog)

Posted : 05/10/2018 11:17 am

Reading through this thread, I would suggest to any of these members to have themselves checked by a dermatologist for rosacea. For years I thought what I was experiencing was simply acne but once I was diagnosed and started getting treated for rosacea, that's when I noticed an improvement. Rosacea is it's own beast however and it will definitely force you to change most of your current habits regarding eating, lifestyle, etc.