Notifications
Clear all

Roaccutane, Depression & Venlafaxine

MemberMember
(@miss-demeanor)

Posted : 11/28/2013 5:34 am

Hi everyone

I've suffered face / body acne for over 30 years. I've been on Roaccutane twice, antibiotics, topical solutions and washes.

I'm 41 now and along with my acne I also have depression. Today I just started my 3rd round of Roaccutane. I was very worried as i know a side effect of Roaccutane is depression and suicidal thoughts. My dermatologist spoke to my psychiatrist and they both agreed that it was ok for me to go on it and they will monitor me.

My skin is so sore. I have acne deep in the dermis along with pustules, blackheads and occasional boils. It affects my confidence so much. I'm fed up covering my skin from my legs right up to my neck. Roaccutane worked twice before so 3rd time lucky.

I thought I would share my experience of my course of accutane

A. To keep me tuned in to my moods and symptoms

B. To offer my experience to someone else who has acne and depression and is considering accutane.

So hope this is ok.

I'm just going to look after myself, eat well and see how it goes.

First two capsules taken just now, kind of plastic smelling. Yummy!

Onwards and upwards.

MemberMember
(@miss-demeanor)

Posted : 11/29/2013 2:24 pm

Well 2 days in. I feel my skin a bit dry but nothing much else to report. A few things that I suspect are psychosomatic. Lets see. rolleyes.gif

MemberMember
(@ewwpimples1)

Posted : 11/29/2013 5:45 pm

good luck and stay positive!

MemberMember
(@miss-demeanor)

Posted : 11/30/2013 6:18 am

Weird. Ive had a really hard (non squeezable) pimple between my breasts for about 3 months and this morning its gone down about 80%! Coincidence?

I've got a really tender pimple in my hairline at the back that came through last night. Few aches and pains, dryish lips and slightly dry skin on face and body.

Mood wise I feel ok. I have PMT/S starting so ill get crotchety and the hormones will kick some more pimples in too.

Just about to take my first two of the day.

MemberMember
(@miss-demeanor)

Posted : 12/02/2013 11:53 pm

I feel very sore. My joints my sinuses. Kind of like having a cold or flu. My mood is still ok. I bought a SAD lamp last week and I've been using that to cheer me up on the dark afternoons. My skin feels smoother. I've a big crop of boil type pimples on my shoulder. Very sore! One on my bum last night that I popped because I'm a popper! Just using lip balm and might need a heavier moisturiser soon.

MemberMember
(@miss-demeanor)

Posted : 12/04/2013 6:09 pm

Actually feel quite good today. Mood wise and pain wise. My ear cartilage is sore and my nose feels weird. The space between my eyebrows was tender to touch but feeling better today. Applying more lip balm today for the dry lips.

MemberMember
(@kim28)

Posted : 12/04/2013 6:38 pm

Stay positive! I'm 35 and on my second round. This one is coming with a much worse IB and my skin is not as young as it was the first time I went through this crapola. I'll have some new scars for sure. My skin does not know what normal pimples are. Every one I get is a nasty cyst. Alas. I try to remind myself about the awesome things in life, and remember that this worked so well for me the first time (almost 9 years clear!), hopefully it will again. :)

MemberMember
(@miss-demeanor)

Posted : 12/05/2013 1:53 am

Thanks for your reply! I thought I was alone out there! How far into your second round are you? Yes my skin has changed a lot too. I think I will try something like bio oil to sort out any scarring I have left after this treatment. My derm said I have "ice pick scarring" on my shoulders. Keep in touch Kim, hope your treatment is a success! : )

Stay positive! I'm 35 and on my second round. This one is coming with a much worse IB and my skin is not as young as it was the first time I went through this crapola. I'll have some new scars for sure. My skin does not know what normal pimples are. Every one I get is a nasty cyst. Alas. I try to remind myself about the awesome things in life, and remember that this worked so well for me the first time (almost 9 years clear!), hopefully it will again. :)

MemberMember
(@miss-demeanor)

Posted : 12/08/2013 4:23 pm

My lips are now very dry. I treated myself to some Elizabeth Arden Eight Hour Cream which is splendid for dry lips and skin. The aches and pains I had are much better. Skin looking ok, no noticeable new pimples. A few stubborn ones still there. All in all I feel well and positive.

MemberMember
(@miss-demeanor)

Posted : 12/08/2013 5:27 pm

And p.s my nose is bleeding a bit too.

MemberMember
(@miss-demeanor)

Posted : 12/11/2013 10:19 pm

Still nothing much of note. Skin dry, lips dry and pimples I've had for a long time are finally drying up. My mood is fine. Onwards and upwards!

MemberMember
(@miss-demeanor)

Posted : 12/15/2013 6:02 pm

Hi

Still popping the accutane. Feeling ok. Just dry flaky skin and dry lips. Lots of moisturiser and lip balm at all times. A very painful pimple on my jaw at the mo. If I could pop it, it would feel better but it won't pop. Not going to force it. A couple of small whiteheads too. That's about it. x

MemberMember
(@miss-demeanor)

Posted : 12/20/2013 5:55 pm

Hi

Still going strong although I feel I'm typing to nobody. My derm said I've to go from 40mg to 80mg so I'm a bit apprehensive about that. I've been getting nose bleeds and a few dormant boils / pimples have appeared in their usual places. I hope once I go up to 80mg the regulars will go too. My face is flaky do I'm moisturising all the time. I've had to exfoliate my t zone though as it looked awful, it was all flaky skin. It felt nice afterwards. I just put a load of moisturiser on after. My mood continues to be fine.

MemberMember
(@miss-demeanor)

Posted : 12/23/2013 11:20 pm

Hi

My nose looks so flaky. I did a very silly thing and decided to use my Eve Lom cleanser with the exfoliating cloth. After cleansing I went to work on the blackheads on either side of my nose. My blackheads have become very prominent. After this I reached for my moisturiser and rubbed it in. In a matter of seconds my face was nipping like it was on fire! I ran to my wash hand basin and splashed my face with cool water. Ouch! It was bloody sore! I now have a red shiney nose like Rudolf the reindeer. Very apt for this time of year. So I'm going to leave my skin well alone and moisturise only. I bought a great moisturiser today from a company called "La Roche-Posay" it's a French pharmacy (drug store) brand. The cream is called "toleriane" it's for hyper sensitive skin that has been "irritated" it contains no parabens or chemical nasties. Felt good when I put it on. 5 hours on my skin looks and feels a lot better. Phew! My mood had been fine, I just have general Christmas stress. My dose will double to 80mg in the next few days so a bit nervous about that. Let's see.

MemberMember
(@miss-demeanor)

Posted : 12/26/2013 10:30 pm

My nose is now peeling after the "burn" incident. I'll not be doing that again. I'm just coating it in moisturiser as often as I remember.

So I've 2 more days left if 40mg. Then I'm up to 80mg. I'm apprehensive about it. Wondering what will happen to my skin and my mood.

On the plus side I got rid of several blackheads from the side of my nose. They came out so easy. They've not returned as they normally would have within 48 hours.

MemberMember
(@miss-demeanor)

Posted : 12/29/2013 10:41 am

Went from 40 to 80 mg today. Feeling nervous / apprehensive about it. Scared of the side effects but I couldn't go on with the skin I had so Ive got to try.

MemberMember
(@miss-demeanor)

Posted : 01/17/2014 5:19 pm

Going from 40 to 80 mg hasn't made any difference to my mood. I feel fine. I just have a lot of dryness on my nose and lips. Wearing my contact lenses has been fine though. I've developed a rash type thing on my hands. It looks bizarre. If it's still there next week I'll nip to the dermatologist and have it checked out.

MemberMember
(@kim28)

Posted : 01/17/2014 6:48 pm

Hey there!

Sorry I sort of forgot about your posts because you're not in the Accutane logs. You should really move your thread there - everyone is very supportive and we're all going through the same crap! I saw your hand rash post - I have that too, and so do a few others whose logs I follow. I think it is pretty common, and the best you can do is put a lot of moisturizer on it. I never had it with my first round, but this one has been FULL of crappy surprises.

Hope you're doing better. I've been up and down - a few clearish days here and there, and then BANG another ouchy jerk shows up.

That's okay though. In the end we will not hurt anymore!

Looking forward to celebrating progress.

MemberMember
(@giggles01)

Posted : 01/18/2014 5:24 am

Going from 40 to 80 mg hasn't made any difference to my mood. I feel fine. I just have a lot of dryness on my nose and lips. Wearing my contact lenses has been fine though. I've developed a rash type thing on my hands. It looks bizarre. If it's still there next week I'll nip to the dermatologist and have it checked out.

Had the same thing, I got scared and went to the derm. He said it was normal while taking accutane.

Anyways you scare me, my biggest fear is that I will live most my life with acne. I'm 18 now and still have it just really depressing knowing that there are

people out there in their 40s with it still. :(

MemberMember
(@kim28)

Posted : 01/18/2014 1:56 pm

Giggles! Telling people that they represent your fears is not the nicest thing ever! Sheesh! For many, especially women with hormonal acne, it is a lifelong thing. Finding a way to control it and live life is the key. I had complete remission from using Accutane for 9 years, and it came back, so I'm sure I am a lot of people's biggest fear, too. But I would rather not be told that. Just an FYI.

Miss Demeanor, how are you doing today?!

I am a bit shitty, but hanging in there. Hoping for some good news from you!

Be strong.

MemberMember
(@giggles01)

Posted : 01/18/2014 8:33 pm

Giggles! Telling people that they represent your fears is not the nicest thing ever! Sheesh! For many, especially women with hormonal acne, it is a lifelong thing. Finding a way to control it and live life is the key. I had complete remission from using Accutane for 9 years, and it came back, so I'm sure I am a lot of people's biggest fear, too. But I would rather not be told that. Just an FYI.

Miss Demeanor, how are you doing today?!

I am a bit shitty, but hanging in there. Hoping for some good news from you!

Be strong.

Yeah I realized that after I posted it, sorry.

GOOD LUCK. :)

MemberMember
(@miss-demeanor)

Posted : 03/20/2014 6:08 pm

Well I'm now off accutane as of yesterday. It didn't do much. It got rid of a few pustules and stopped some hormonal spots. I'm fed up. My arms look terrible. I've been prescribed Fucidin H to clear them up. It seems to be working a bit. I've a few spots on my legs too. I seriously don't want to spend another summer covered up or studying in!

MemberMember
(@oliver4646)

Posted : 03/20/2014 6:22 pm

if you need any help while on this please message i was on it for 4 years it tough but anyway i can help let me know, i might have a cure to help with your acne it helped mine :-)