Notifications
Clear all

When To Start Dermarolling?

MemberMember
(@kjoy31)

Posted : 11/14/2013 8:35 pm

If I have newer scars (2 myths old) is it safe to start home dermarolling? I want to eventually do laser treatment, but in the meantime I need to attempt to improve my skin! For those who have had success (like real results) what roller did you use, products, and how often.

MemberMember
(@aquasea)

Posted : 11/16/2013 10:18 pm

Hi Kjoy31 smile.png

There are many dermarolling threads on this forum. Please research them all as they contain vital information which will help you begin your derma rolling journey. However, you also need to research beyond this forum. A good place to start is owndoc.com .

Personally, I used the skin roller from clearskincare.com.au . But their needle is short. I coupled this with more intensive single needling for more stubborn scar areas. Please see owndoc.com for details. I also recommend using beta glucan liquid (from Garden of Wisdom [cheaper & less chemical version] or New Directions etc). You can also make you own vitamin c serum from powders sold from owndoc.com. This enhances collagen production. You also need to eat lots of vitamin c containing natural raw vegan organic wholefoods (and other raw organic vegan super foods plus wholefood organic vitamins - see Dr Ben Kim's website for a selection of wholefood vitamins or Deva nutrition etc) to increase your healing potential - kiwi fruit, berries, bell peppers, oranges, apples, strawberries, lemon juice etc). Personally, I prefer fresh lemon juice topicals, but I only recommend lemon juice for short needling - do not use lemon juice after needling with a longer roller. However, some people hate lemon juice as it irritates their skin (please test a patch of skin before using fresh lemon juice).

There are, of course, many types of rollers including the original dermaroller. Please compare types to ensure you purchase a reputable stainless surgical steel version. Some rollers can only be used once, others can be washed under hot water, air dried & stored in the fridge (in a sterile container) to keep it sterile/ pathogen free for next use (this re-useable type is found at clearskincare.com.au). You can also get your dermarolling done professionally. Please ensure you go to a reputable practitioner. However, whether you choose to do skin rolling at home or at a clinic, I would recommend you research the pros & cons of using each size needle. (Note, I believe that the needle diameter should be .25mm to ensure it safely & effectively penetrates the skin). Please see clearskincare.com.au to confirm this is correct information.

You can also consider dermastamp for individual, isolated scars & suctioning/ cupping therapy post derma rolling. See owndoc.com .

Re technique, I have read that you need to complete an asterisk pattern on an area. i.e. You must roll once (being careful not to drag the roller across your face thus tearing your face). Then you must lift your roller off your face and begin another direction i.e. right to left roll, lift roller off face; horizontal top to bottom roll, lift roller off face etc. You only want to penetrate an area once - do not over process/ over roll your skin or you will serrate your skin. Your aim is to induce your skin's natural wound healing response through controlled, mild but effective dermal injury. You only want one puncture wound with skin remaining intact around the puncture site. Less is more with skin needling. Don't press too hard & don't use skin numbing ointment as it could damage your facial nerves (same goes for using super long needles - they can sever facial nerves & deplete facial collagen so avoid using them). Note, sometimes spots of blood will appear during a rolling session, so please ensure your face is properly prepped with a surgical prep solution, or some other surgical wipe etc. You must also ensure you do not add irritating creams etc post rolling session. Please look into post rolling solutions too i.e. see owndoc.com etc for suggestions.

Re rolling frequency, there are many options. I would suggest starting slow, cautiously and assessing how your skin heals over three months & then increasing or decreasing the frequency i.e. once a week for a month, stop for a month or two (if you're using a short needle). Remember, you need ample time/ space between needling to allow the collagen to form naturally and skin to go through its healing cycle which takes 3 months. So don't look for over night improvements. Assess every three months. It's a slow healing process that can take 1 year to 2, 3 or 5 years (depending on whether you're taking vitamins, eating nutritiously, are healthy, exercising lightly/ moderately, getting vitamin d/ sunlight, eating superfoods, using effective topicals, managing stress levels etc).

However, you need far less derma rolling sessions if you use longer needles. They can range between once a few months to once a year. Please research for expert advice.

Other tips:

• I don't recommend going over a 1.00cm length roller needle. However, others on this forum advocate using a 1.5cm roller on fleshier areas such as cheeks and short rollers (0.5mm) on areas such as the forehead etc. Please research extensively re the pros/ cons/ risks of each needle length.
  • My favorite topicals are copper peptides (for addressing extensive/ deeper scar areas); beta glucan liquid for skin health, skin repair at a cellular level & wound healing: hyaluronic acid, an overall skin texture enhancing serum & skin remodeling agent; retin a - only use sparingly. It is by far the best skin polisher & scar revision topical - but be careful not to expose skin in the sun while using it, it increases sun sensitivity, also not for use while pregnant or breastfeeding. Lastly, I recommend using retin a ONLY when you have achieved satisfactory healing from several rolling sessions (as it can thin skin, so should not be used while actively skin rolling), as it is the final skin polishing agent in my experience; a reputable product with B3 niacinimide - helps with pigmentation issues, acne & anti-aging skin repair agent. Fresh lemon juice skin peels once a month or every two months (I previously advocated the use of glycolic acid, but I received 2nd degree burns using it with retin a, so please stay away from glycolic acid or only use a VERY low strength once a blue moon i.e. 10-15% strength. Do not use in conjunction with retin a. However, you can use retin a with beta glucan. This is a very effective treatment).

Lastly, I've not used Intracell, but Ocelet_Liquid has attested to the effectiveness of this form of needling. Please research this modality. It might be an option for you.

I hope this information helps give you some direction. You might also like to view various youtube videos by professionals & advocates of this method of scar revision.

Good luck! :)

MemberMember
(@robertitoo)

Posted : 11/16/2013 10:24 pm

I was excited to answer this but aquasea stole everything from my mouth! The diet part is crucial!

MemberMember
(@aquasea)

Posted : 11/16/2013 11:44 pm

Yes, diet is crucial to healing, I agree with you Robertitoo :)

PS You might also like to consider light therapy too. I've not used it, but have heard good reports. Please research extensively & read Ocelet_Liquid's testimony.