Notifications
Clear all

40Mg Twice A Day

MemberMember
(@jorge08)

Posted : 11/04/2013 10:43 pm

I started Accutane about 11 days ago and my dermatologist started me off with 40 mg twice a day. Does that mean I'm basically taking 80 mg and is it a good thing to start off with?

(I weigh about 155lbs if that makes a difference)

MemberMember
(@ballen)

Posted : 11/05/2013 5:44 am

I started Accutane about 11 days ago and my dermatologist started me off with 40 mg twice a day. Does that mean I'm basically taking 80 mg and is it a good thing to start off with?

(I weigh about 155lbs if that makes a difference)

Its a very high dosage. Its OK to start high, but some people say it gives a higher chance of IB (initial breakout), and I agree.

You are on twice as much as me and we weigh about the same. I have severe-moderate cystic/ nodular acne. Back acne is severe and I have had it for 5 years, acne for 7.

It really all depends though; how long are you going to take it?

I will be taking it for 195 days or 28 weeks, giving me a cumulative dose of 7800 (or 8000), 8000 / 65 = 123. So I end my course taking 123 mg pr kg.

The best results are usually found between 120 and 150 mg pr kg. With higher dosage, comes the risk of more (, more serious or more severe) side effects. Some people find that they can get acne remission with MUCH lower doses though; 5-30 mg at about the same weight.

I have also heard that you should take Accutane for 2 more months after you have achieved clearness for it to last. The doctor who said this, supposedly have 'cured' thousands of people. (I'm gonna ask my derm about doing this, but I have to see how it goes).

I have also heard of those who did not get their full effect before after their course had ended, they also ended up with full remission (it never came back again, or very little).

Remember to moisturize and take Accutane with a high fat meal (for better absorption).

Good luck smile.png

MemberMember
(@jorge08)

Posted : 11/05/2013 10:02 am

I started Accutane about 11 days ago and my dermatologist started me off with 40 mg twice a day. Does that mean I'm basically taking 80 mg and is it a good thing to start off with? (I weigh about 155lbs if that makes a difference)

Its a very high dosage. Its OK to start high, but some people say it gives a higher chance of IB (initial breakout), and I agree.You are on twice as much as me and we weigh about the same. I have severe-moderate cystic/ nodular acne. Back acne is severe and I have had it for 5 years, acne for 7.It really all depends though; how long are you going to take it?I will be taking it for 195 days or 28 weeks, giving me a cumulative dose of 7800 (or 8000), 8000 / 65 = 123. So I end my course taking 123 mg pr kg.The best results are usually found between 120 and 150 mg pr kg. With higher dosage, comes the risk of more (, more serious or more severe) side effects. Some people find that they can get acne remission with MUCH lower doses though; 5-30 mg at about the same weight.I have also heard that you should take Accutane for 2 more months after you have achieved clearness for it to last. The doctor who said this, supposedly have 'cured' thousands of people. (I'm gonna ask my derm about doing this, but I have to see how it goes).I have also heard of those who did not get their full effect before after their course had ended, they also ended up with full remission (it never came back again, or very little). Remember to moisturize and take Accutane with a high fat meal (for better absorption).Good luck :)

What do you mean by a higher chance of an IB? How often do initial breakouts occur (I'm guessing it varies from person) I also have acne on my back and some on my chest. Thanks for the reply and good luck to you too!

MemberMember
(@ballen)

Posted : 11/05/2013 12:16 pm

I started Accutane about 11 days ago and my dermatologist started me off with 40 mg twice a day. Does that mean I'm basically taking 80 mg and is it a good thing to start off with? (I weigh about 155lbs if that makes a difference)

Its a very high dosage. Its OK to start high, but some people say it gives a higher chance of IB (initial breakout), and I agree.You are on twice as much as me and we weigh about the same. I have severe-moderate cystic/ nodular acne. Back acne is severe and I have had it for 5 years, acne for 7.It really all depends though; how long are you going to take it?I will be taking it for 195 days or 28 weeks, giving me a cumulative dose of 7800 (or 8000), 8000 / 65 = 123. So I end my course taking 123 mg pr kg.The best results are usually found between 120 and 150 mg pr kg. With higher dosage, comes the risk of more (, more serious or more severe) side effects. Some people find that they can get acne remission with MUCH lower doses though; 5-30 mg at about the same weight.I have also heard that you should take Accutane for 2 more months after you have achieved clearness for it to last. The doctor who said this, supposedly have 'cured' thousands of people. (I'm gonna ask my derm about doing this, but I have to see how it goes).I have also heard of those who did not get their full effect before after their course had ended, they also ended up with full remission (it never came back again, or very little). Remember to moisturize and take Accutane with a high fat meal (for better absorption).Good luck smile.png

What do you mean by a higher chance of an IB? How often do initial breakouts occur (I'm guessing it varies from person) I also have acne on my back and some on my chest. Thanks for the reply and good luck to you too!

I think I read somewhere that about 25% of people get it, but in my experience a lot more do. Your body doesn't get the chance to get used to the medication. How long the IB last varies greatly from person to person.

Again, I cannot help you unless I know how long you are going use it, but I guess that's not what you're interrested in.

MemberMember
(@jorge08)

Posted : 11/05/2013 1:02 pm

Its a very high dosage. Its OK to start high, but some people say it gives a higher chance of IB (initial breakout), and I agree.You are on twice as much as me and we weigh about the same. I have severe-moderate cystic/ nodular acne. Back acne is severe and I have had it for 5 years, acne for 7.It really all depends though; how long are you going to take it?I will be taking it for 195 days or 28 weeks, giving me a cumulative dose of 7800 (or 8000), 8000 / 65 = 123. So I end my course taking 123 mg pr kg.The best results are usually found between 120 and 150 mg pr kg. With higher dosage, comes the risk of more (, more serious or more severe) side effects. Some people find that they can get acne remission with MUCH lower doses though; 5-30 mg at about the same weight.I have also heard that you should take Accutane for 2 more months after you have achieved clearness for it to last. The doctor who said this, supposedly have 'cured' thousands of people. (I'm gonna ask my derm about doing this, but I have to see how it goes).I have also heard of those who did not get their full effect before after their course had ended, they also ended up with full remission (it never came back again, or very little). Remember to moisturize and take Accutane with a high fat meal (for better absorption).Good luck :)

I think I read somewhere that about 25% of people get it, but in my experience a lot more do. Your body doesn't get the chance to get used to the medication. How long the IB last varies greatly from person to person.Again, I cannot help you unless I know how long you are going use it, but I guess that's not what you're interrested in.

Well I'm guessing that I'll be using it for 6 months. I'm not sure though. I also doubt that she'll have me at 80mg every month or maybe she will I guess it depends how I'm doing throughout the months.

MemberMember
(@ballen)

Posted : 11/05/2013 2:21 pm

Its a very high dosage. Its OK to start high, but some people say it gives a higher chance of IB (initial breakout), and I agree.You are on twice as much as me and we weigh about the same. I have severe-moderate cystic/ nodular acne. Back acne is severe and I have had it for 5 years, acne for 7.It really all depends though; how long are you going to take it?I will be taking it for 195 days or 28 weeks, giving me a cumulative dose of 7800 (or 8000), 8000 / 65 = 123. So I end my course taking 123 mg pr kg.The best results are usually found between 120 and 150 mg pr kg. With higher dosage, comes the risk of more (, more serious or more severe) side effects. Some people find that they can get acne remission with MUCH lower doses though; 5-30 mg at about the same weight.I have also heard that you should take Accutane for 2 more months after you have achieved clearness for it to last. The doctor who said this, supposedly have 'cured' thousands of people. (I'm gonna ask my derm about doing this, but I have to see how it goes).I have also heard of those who did not get their full effect before after their course had ended, they also ended up with full remission (it never came back again, or very little). Remember to moisturize and take Accutane with a high fat meal (for better absorption).Good luck smile.png

I think I read somewhere that about 25% of people get it, but in my experience a lot more do. Your body doesn't get the chance to get used to the medication. How long the IB last varies greatly from person to person.Again, I cannot help you unless I know how long you are going use it, but I guess that's not what you're interrested in.

Well I'm guessing that I'll be using it for 6 months. I'm not sure though. I also doubt that she'll have me at 80mg every month or maybe she will I guess it depends how I'm doing throughout the months.

Talk to her about it. Its not good being on that high dosage.

MemberMember
(@xcharliex)

Posted : 11/05/2013 3:39 pm

What's wrong with 80mg a day? Stop talking out your rear end.

The only education you have of Accutane is what you have read on the internet. Leave it to the doctors.

MemberMember
(@ballen)

Posted : 11/05/2013 8:36 pm

The only education you have of Accutane is what you have read on the internet. Leave it to the doctors.

><p><p>383679284">

What? You don't think over 222 mg pr kg is a overkill? Well, for some people its better to leave it up to their doctors, I guess, but that's not for me. I don't like to put my faith completely in the hands of other people. Especially if my doctor is gonna be doing this.

And yes, the only information I get is over the internet. By looking at statistics and reading studies, I can know just as much or more than 'doctors'. Everyone can get get a degree in anything, it doesn't mean they actually know what they are doing.

Everyone can learn what they know, its not like they have some special magical books that you can't get your hands on.

Also, I never stated that I were a doctor nor that I know as much or more than one. And you cannot speak 'out of your rear end' by giving 100% correct information. What I mean by this, is I state how certain the information is or where it came from.

Thank you for reading, but keep your ignorance to yourself.

MemberMember
(@f150jack)

Posted : 11/05/2013 11:51 pm

I am on day 7 and my derm started me on 80mg a day which is 40mg twice a day. 165lbs male.

MemberMember
(@1moretime)

Posted : 11/06/2013 12:23 am

Although listening to your doctor is a good idea, an informed and educated patient is never a bad thing. Studies have shown that patients on average only receive half the recommended care the evidence suggests. Doctors cannot read every piece of research or literature out there and many patients do have more specific knowledge about their condition than their treating physician. But one thing I wouldn't do is just take an opinion opined in this forum and stop doing what a doctor has recommended or prescribed without first discussing it with him or her.

MemberMember
(@steve0asdf)

Posted : 11/06/2013 4:38 am

What? You don't think over 222 mg pr kg is a overkill?

Hi,

This is a relatively recent study, where a higher daily dose and higher cumulative dosage than are normally considered are used:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/22909370

What do you think?

Steve.

MemberMember
(@xcharliex)

Posted : 11/06/2013 9:18 am

><p><p><p></p>383679284">

What? You don't think over 222 mg pr kg is a overkill? Well, for some people its better to leave it up to their doctors, I guess, but that's not for me. I don't like to put my faith completely in the hands of other people. Especially if my doctor is gonna be doing this.

And yes, the only information I get is over the internet. By looking at statistics and reading studies, I can know just as much or more than 'doctors'. Everyone can get get a degree in anything, it doesn't mean they actually know what they are doing.

Everyone can learn what they know, its not like they have some special magical books that you can't get your hands on.

Also, I never stated that I were a doctor nor that I know as much or more than one. And you cannot speak 'out of your rear end' by giving 100% correct information. What I mean by this, is I state how certain the information is or where it came from.

Thank you for reading, but keep your ignorance to yourself.

Ignorance. No my friend ignorance is thinking you know better...see where that's going?

The OP has said they have been started on 80mg/per day. NOT 80mg/per day for 6 months.

For all you know the Doctor could be starting higher and tapering down as the course progresses. Again I will add. Leave it to the doctor who has probably treated hundreds of patients, not some internet warrior who thinks they have more knowledge than a trained professional because they've read a few studies rolleyes.gif

MemberMember
(@ballen)

Posted : 11/06/2013 10:10 am

What? You don't think over 222 mg pr kg is a overkill?

Hi,

This is a relatively recent study, where a higher daily dose and higher cumulative dosage than are normally considered are used:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/22909370

What do you think?

Steve.

Unfortunately, rhe full study isn't available, but:

more than 20% of patients experience a relapse within two years that requires further medical management. (On 0.5-1mg /kg).

And

During the three-year study period, 10 patients (12.5%) developed a relapse that required an additional course of isotretinoin.

First, they studied 80 patients, which isn't nearly enough to make any kind of conclusion.

Many side effects only occur 1/100 times, other 1/1000 and some even 1/10000+.

Second, they only gained 7.5% higher remission rate than people who use 1/2.5th the dose.

I would rather take it twice, and have an even larger chance of remission.

As they stated, they got no severe side effects, but I think if they did, it would hit hard.

Ignorance. No my friend ignorance is thinking you know better...see where that's going?

The OP has said they have been started on 80mg/per day. NOT 80mg/per day for 6 months.

For all you know the Doctor could be starting higher and tapering down as the course progresses. Again I will add. Leave it to the doctor who has probably treated hundreds of patients, not some internet warrior who thinks they have more knowledge than a trained professional because they've read a few studies rolleyes.gif

That's why I said he should talk to her about it; some doctors just do the wrong thing. Its that simple. They make mistakes, they are not Gods. For all you know she prescribes 80mg to all her patients regardless of severity, weight, gender or age. And of course it works, which is why she will be doing this forever..

I just think the fact that she started him of on 80 mg should be alarming and paid attention to, which is why he came here.

MemberMember
(@steve0asdf)

Posted : 11/06/2013 2:08 pm

more than 20% of patients experience a relapse within two years that requires further medical management.

This comment refers to the normal dose regime "0.5-1.0 mg/kg/day for 5-6 months", not the higher doses dealt with the study.

I totally agree with you about the small sample size though.

Best wishes,

Steve.

MemberMember
(@ballen)

Posted : 11/06/2013 3:31 pm

more than 20% of patients experience a relapse within two years that requires further medical management.

This comment refers to the normal dose regime "0.5-1.0 mg/kg/day for 5-6 months", not the higher doses dealt with the study.

I totally agree with you about the small sample size though.

Best wishes,

Steve.

Yes, that's correct. I were suppose to use it as a quote for the 0.5-1mg doses, but I guess it came a little out of context and easy to misunderstand if you didn't read through the study.