Notifications
Clear all

Does Accutane Help Get Rid Of Red Marks?

MemberMember
(@ghosthater)

Posted : 10/04/2013 7:20 pm

I'm in my 2nd month of Accutane and the cysts are getting smaller and less frequent, but I am left with the red marks where the acne was. Does Accutane help get rid of those red spots? How long will they take to fade?

MemberMember
(@laurawroth82)

Posted : 10/05/2013 9:40 am

I think accutane helps a little but not too much, you want to be careful with it as some people have ridiculous allergic reactions to it.

-Laura

MemberMember
(@ksg1996)

Posted : 10/06/2013 12:04 am

The PIH will begin to fade a bit once you're off Accutane. Sometimes the marks can be deeper though due to the cysts, and your dermatologist will most likely prescribe you a retinoid later on when your skin is strong again.

Cheers.

MemberMember
(@sunshinetaradise)

Posted : 10/11/2013 1:01 pm

I've found that Accutane really reduced and rid my skin of the red marks

MemberMember
(@jjj333kkk2)

Posted : 10/13/2013 2:28 am

Those red marks are called post-inflammatory hyperpigmentation (PIH). Generally they will fade with time (months, years), but not always. Isotretinoin slows down the healing process in your skin. So no, Accutane won't do anything to help your red marks heal faster, and in all likelihood will actually decrease the rate of dissipation. There are good treatments for PIH (e.g. chemical peels), but you won't be able to use them until you've been off Accutane for six months at least.