Notifications
Clear all

Is Accutane Worth It?

MemberMember
(@starlite)

Posted : 08/13/2013 10:31 pm

So I've had acne for more than ten years and have tried many treatments. Retin-A, peels, a healthy diet, expensive cleansers and moisturizers, you name it. I'm 30 years old and still get cystic acne around my chin.

I'd really like to try accutane. I don't want to live with cystic acne anymore. Only thing is, I have rather thin skin and tend to scar easily and I've heard that accutane can make that worse?! But I've also heard of success stories.

I guess I would like to hear feedback from people who have tried it...

MemberMember
(@cw24)

Posted : 08/13/2013 10:40 pm

If it bothers you a lot then yes its worth it. But if it doesnt then probably not. Being 30 you chances of full remission are pretty good though. So in my opinion it comes down to how bad is acne affecting your life. My skin is also pretty thin and sensitive and it doesn't bother me much.

MemberMember
(@starlite)

Posted : 08/13/2013 10:50 pm

Yeah, my acne is not nearly as bad as it was 10 years ago, but the cystic acne I do get looks pretty bad. Swelling and not pretty. I had hyperthyroidism for a few months and one of the side effects is dry skin, my face was completely clear for the first time in a while.

MemberMember
(@like-moonlight)

Posted : 08/13/2013 11:36 pm

I've moved your topic to prescription medications thread where you should receive more responses.

*Acne.org Moderator Team*

MemberMember
(@aanabill)

Posted : 08/14/2013 12:59 am

accutane shows long term results in many and only gives short term relief in other cases.

its not a guarantee as such but it might just work.like it does for most.

i took accutane (low dosage - i feel its the best way with accutane) but i got acne after that.thats not the case with everyone though.

but the side effects are bad or worse.

so one needs to be very careful.

how severe is ur acne?

MemberMember
(@starlite)

Posted : 08/14/2013 8:55 am

It's not as bad as it was a few years ago. Now it's just around my chin. But when I do break out, they're pretty big pustules, inflamed, not just regular acne. And my skin is never completely clear unless I take antibiotics, which isn't something I can do long-term.