Notifications
Clear all

Scientific Peeps: Better Skin = Less Sleep Resulting In Less Hormones

MemberMember
(@acnebrah)

Posted : 08/10/2013 1:07 pm

I messed up my back bad 18 months ago. I was sleeping 4 hrs a night for about a year. However in that time, my face looked way way better than it ever had. All my acne that ive had for 10 years faded away. All the blotchiness and redness and red marks faded away. All the oilness and big pores faded away. For the first time ever my skin looked very smooth, even toned and matte. My jawline became more chiseled, all the bloat and water left my face.

As of last month, Ive been sleeping more like 6-8hrs from my getting somewhat better. Instantly my face is covered in acne, bloated, super oily, blotchy, and red again. Basically what its looked like before I got injured. Diet has not changed.

Ive always heard more sleep makes you look better/gets rid of acne etc. In my experience the less I sleep the better I look. Im chalking this up to less sleep equals less production of sex hormones, testosterone etc, all the things that cause water weight, oily-ness and acne.

I have noticed similar results when dieting as a bodybuilder in the past although not to this extent, id still have acne when cutting. Something about not sleeping for me completely destroys acne and excess oil production.

It makes sense to me but its like a double edged sword. Look good but feel like crap from lack of sleep and lack of energy. Or feel good but look like crap.

Is there any logic in this? Anyone else noticed this.

MemberMember
(@jfiligree)

Posted : 08/10/2013 1:20 pm

Isn't sleep basically your body's time for repairs? I personally feel my skin looks a lot better after a good night's sleep and horrible if I have very little sleep. According to webmd, "beauty sleep" is real.

MemberMember
(@robustmist)

Posted : 08/10/2013 1:22 pm

I never noticed getting less sleep heals acne. Maybe try Saw Palmetto or Bay berry supplements and see if the issue really is hormonal.

(@Anonymous)

Posted : 08/10/2013 2:24 pm

Okay, this is a tricky one. For most people, more sleep means better skin. This is because your body increases circulation to your extremities and skin at night to aid in repairing them. BUT, in theory the HGH spike when you go into REM sleep COULD lead to problems if your skin is very sensitive to it. I have noticed for me if I sleep less than 4.5 hours I feel like crap; mostly because our hormones are somewhat muted because they increase during deep sleep (mostly just Testosterone and HGH). It could also mean that with muted Test and HGH activity comes lower IGF-1 levels; this also will reduce the overall production rates of sebum. It's an interesting thing to notice, but I wouldn't recommend not sleeping because it makes you skin clearer smile.png

MemberMember
(@acnebrah)

Posted : 08/10/2013 4:40 pm

I never noticed getting less sleep heals acne. Maybe try Saw Palmetto or Bay berry supplements and see if the issue really is hormonal.

It didnt "heal" acne. It blunted whatever was producing it. So it never returned.

Okay, this is a tricky one. For most people, more sleep means better skin. This is because your body increases circulation to your extremities and skin at night to aid in repairing them. BUT, in theoy the HGH spike when you go into REM sleep COULD lead to problems if your skin is very sensitive to it. I have noticed for me if I sleep less than 4.5 hours I feel like crap; mostly because our hormones are somewhat muted because they increase during deep sleep (mostly just Testosterone and HGH). It could also mean that with muted Test and HGH activity comes lower IGF-1 levels; this also will reduce the overall production rates of sebum. It's an interesting thing to notice, but I wouldn't recommend not sleeping because it makes you skin clearer smile.png

Well it wasnt just acne that got better. My whole face just looked better. Right after you wash your face and all the shine and oil is gone. My face looked like that all the time. Matte and without any redness. Now its oily, blotchy and thicker looking

Hormones are directly linked to acne. There must be a reason why most men who are over 40. Usually they have no acne, there skin seems to thin out and is alot more matte looking. Alot of mens faces look more chiseled and better after 40 than in there 20's. This must be because after late 30's there hormones are as you said "blunted". Ive also noticed that guys over 40 on average seem to look better with stubble then they did in their 20's, because of the "thinning of the skin" that seems to occur post 40yr olds.

So basically i blunted my hormones to levels of a 40 year old man status of smooth, oil free, thinned out skin.

So my options are. sleep 4hrs and have a nice looking face but a shit body and low sex drive.

OR sleep well and have a nice body and an oily fucked up face and high sex drive with my 21yr old test and hgh levels

fuck my life, I finally found the cure to acne and smooth skin but it involves destroying your body and energy

MemberMember
(@rosalie324)

Posted : 08/10/2013 7:15 pm

It didnt "heal" acne. It blunted whatever was producing it. So it never returned.

>Okay, this is a tricky one. For most people, more sleep means better skin. This is because your body increases circulation to your extremities and skin at night to aid in repairing them. BUT, in theoy the HGH spike when you go into REM sleep COULD lead to problems if your skin is very sensitive to it. I have noticed for me if I sleep less than 4.5 hours I feel like crap; mostly because our hormones are somewhat muted because they increase during deep sleep (mostly just Testosterone and HGH). It could also mean that with muted Test and HGH activity comes lower IGF-1 levels; this also will reduce the overall production rates of sebum. It's an interesting thing to notice, but I wouldn't recommend not sleeping because it makes you skin clearer smile.png

Well it wasnt just acne that got better. My whole face just looked better. Right after you wash your face and all the shine and oil is gone. My face looked like that all the time. Matte and without any redness. Now its oily, blotchy and thicker looking

Hormones are directly linked to acne. There must be a reason why most men who are over 40. Usually they have no acne, there skin seems to thin out and is alot more matte looking. Alot of mens faces look more chiseled and better after 40 than in there 20's. This must be because after late 30's there hormones are as you said "blunted". Ive also noticed that guys over 40 on average seem to look better with stubble then they did in their 20's, because of the "thinning of the skin" that seems to occur post 40yr olds.

So basically i blunted my hormones to levels of a 40 year old man status of smooth, oil free, thinned out skin.

So my options are. sleep 4hrs and have a nice looking face but a shit body and low sex drive.

OR sleep well and have a nice body and an oily fucked up face and high sex drive with my 21yr old test and hgh levels

fuck my life, I finally found the cure to acne and smooth skin but it involves destroying your body and energy

I don't know if I would call that a cure... It seems more damaging than anything else. Sleep is vital for human survival and it sucks that the REM cycle is causing your hormones to spike, ergo more acne. Have you tried any supplements to balance your hormones?

MemberMember
(@acnebrah)

Posted : 08/10/2013 7:46 pm

>Okay, this is a tricky one. For most people, more sleep means better skin. This is because your body increases circulation to your extremities and skin at night to aid in repairing them. BUT, in theoy the HGH spike when you go into REM sleep COULD lead to problems if your skin is very sensitive to it. I have noticed for me if I sleep less than 4.5 hours I feel like crap; mostly because our hormones are somewhat muted because they increase during deep sleep (mostly just Testosterone and HGH). It could also mean that with muted Test and HGH activity comes lower IGF-1 levels; this also will reduce the overall production rates of sebum. It's an interesting thing to notice, but I wouldn't recommend not sleeping because it makes you skin clearer smile.png

I don't know if I would call that a cure... It seems more damaging than anything else. Sleep is vital for human survival and it sucks that the REM cycle is causing your hormones to spike, ergo more acne. Have you tried any supplements to balance your hormones?

What type of supplements balance your hormones?

MemberMember
(@oceanic)

Posted : 08/10/2013 9:31 pm

Might work temporary, but sleep deprivation itself causes hormonal imbalances and could potentially make matters worse later on. :\

Think negative feedback and increased insulin resistance. Both of which can lead to acne.

MemberMember
(@rosalie324)

Posted : 08/10/2013 9:55 pm

>376162680">

What type of supplements balance your hormones?

The best supplements that balance hormones are Magnesium, Vitamin A, Vitamin D, and Cod Liver Oil. I know for a fact that my acne is hormonal and stress related, so I take a strict regimen of vitamins:

1000 IU Vitamin D nightly

Zinc 30 mg 2x day (Zinc works amazingly for acne, but doesn't help with hormones... I'm actually not sure why it works.)

Virasyl 2x day (This is a mineral supplement that contains essential minerals like copper. Which you need to take when taking large amounts of Zinc)

Pure Calm MultiVitamin nightly

2.5 tsp magnesium

Gava Supplement (helps control anxiety/stress which is essential to getting clear skin)

I've always taken vitamins/supplements, but have been on this regimen for two weeks and am awaiting my results :) Regardless of whether or not I see a huge difference, I am doing something healthy for my body. So, I suppose it's a positive either way. Other things you can do to balance hormones naturally are to keep stress levels at a minimum, eat a healthy diet (lots of fruits and veggies, especially those rich in Vitamin A like tomatoes. Stay away from dairy, soy, and gluten if at all possible), and SLEEP! Sleep is essential to healing your body and balancing hormones whether or not you experience spikes because of the REM cycle.

Basically living a healthy lifestyle leads to clearer skin in the end. After all, if our bodies were healthy we wouldn't have acne in the first place. Skin is an elimination organ, so any toxins/free radicals our bodies are fighting will exit through our skin. It sucks, but a few changes can produce great results! Hope this helps a bit :)