Notifications
Clear all

Please Help Me Wean My Antibiotic

MemberMember
(@user211515)

Posted : 08/01/2013 2:03 pm

Hi all! After being on antibiotics for about three months, Im down to four 500 mg azithromycin pills. I want to wean off them and realize it would be best to do it more gradually, but getting another Rx is not an option. How should I best wean the four pills I have left? Cut in half and take one piece every 4-5 days? I've been heavy on the probiotics for over a month now, so I hope that will help quell any outbreak.

I appreciate the help!

MemberMember
(@xxyy)

Posted : 08/01/2013 3:07 pm

cut the pills into halves so you have 8 (assuming theyre solid pills and not powder capsules)

monday 2 halves

tuesday 1 half

wednesday 1 half

thursday nothing

friday 1 half

saturday nothing

sunday nothing

monday 1 half

tuesday nothing

wednesday nothing

thursday 1 half

friday nothing

saturday nothing

sunday nothing

monday 1 half

done :) I'm not sure what day you intend to start weaning but those days are just a guide to show you how to slowly wean off.

MemberMember
(@user211515)

Posted : 08/01/2013 3:32 pm

thanks a lot, circumambient. have you ever weaned so quickly? I'm terrified this is going to be ugly....

MemberMember
(@user211515)

Posted : 08/02/2013 2:50 pm

anyone? I'd love to hear if anyone has experienced a more rapid than normal weaning process... and if they did anything additional to help ease the likely breakout. I'm already taking a strong probiotic but would be open to anything else. thank you!

MemberMember
(@mrsrobinson)

Posted : 08/02/2013 4:21 pm

you should be okay, keep up with any topicals that you are using -- what topicals are you on?

MemberMember
(@user211515)

Posted : 08/02/2013 4:41 pm

thanks Mrs Robinson, I hope you are right! Since I'm also dealing with perioral dermatitis, I've been using 100% natural face products from Osmia. In the past, when I took antibiotics just for acne, I was always fine when I stopped b/c they were in conjunction with Tazorac or something of that sort.

This time, I went from using a doc-rx'd cortisone cream for years (eek) that hid the PD AND acne, to antibiotics for the PD. The antibiotic did nothing for the PD, but I am now realizing it kept my acne at bay... I almost forgot I had it. :(

I am keeping my fingers crossed that the black soap, etc. I'm using will keep the acne contained as I wean off the antibiotic. What a mess!

MemberMember
(@silverlight22)

Posted : 07/05/2014 9:20 pm

thanks Mrs Robinson, I hope you are right! Since I'm also dealing with perioral dermatitis, I've been using 100% natural face products from Osmia. In the past, when I took antibiotics just for acne, I was always fine when I stopped b/c they were in conjunction with Tazorac or something of that sort.

This time, I went from using a doc-rx'd cortisone cream for years (eek) that hid the PD AND acne, to antibiotics for the PD. The antibiotic did nothing for the PD, but I am now realizing it kept my acne at bay... I almost forgot I had it.

I am keeping my fingers crossed that the black soap, etc. I'm using will keep the acne contained as I wean off the antibiotic. What a mess!

Heyy I had the same question for you! I have perioroal dermatitis been on antibiotics for a very long time (20 months) but I think Minocycline has stopped working for me.

I am still petrified to let go off it because I am thinking that they may still be helping me! But I am breaking out anyways, just not as bad, so thats why I havent quit.

I have been thinking of weaning off them but I don't know if I will breakout like crazy like I used too.

Did weaning off work for you?? Please please let me know. Thanks!!

MemberMember
(@user211515)

Posted : 07/09/2014 3:47 pm

Hi silverlight. It did, yes. I did not experience an IB after weaning. I'd advise stopping the antibiotics, as they really are bad for your body. Wean, and take probiotics, and hopefully you will be just fine!