Notifications
Clear all

Any Advice Is Good Advice

MemberMember
(@holdingmeback)

Posted : 07/22/2013 10:14 pm

Hello,

I am a 21 year old male struggling with acne.

My combination skin produces excess oil in my t-zone, thus creating enough acne to overwhelm anyone. I rarely had acne in highschool but it has only gotten worse in the last couple years. It causes me anxiety and kills my self esteem. I use to be so outgoing and now I prefer to stay in.

My dermatologists don't help much at all (currently using differin 0.3 gel at night and finacea gel in the morning, while washing face with cetaphil gentle cleanser)

It's so frustrating I feel like no matter what I eat or how much I exercise, the acne remains constant. Currently, I have about 5-8 whiteheads of various sizes on my chin alone.

I thought a hormonal imbalance was the cause so I saw an endocrinologist, but everything checked out normal.

I might start taking saw palmetto as I believe a reduction in DHT will be beneficial for me. I experimented with certain workout supplements, which I believe probably whacked something out of order internally.

I really don't know where to go from here. I have tried everything from proactiv to high percent BP and SA to zinc and vitamin B5.

My acne isn't cystic so my derm said accutane was out of the question when I brought it up for low dosage treatment.

Any advice from someone in a similar situation would be great smile.png

MemberMember
(@biggs881)

Posted : 07/22/2013 10:34 pm

In my experience, there isn't really anything over the counter that will actually slow down your oil glands. Your oil glands are under the control of your hormones and there is also a genetic/hereditary component to it. There are some prescriptions that can affect your oil glands, but over the counter stuff is really only for management and will not slow down your oil production. Here's more information. http://www.acne.org/oily-skin.html

If you are male and your acne is associated with oily skin, Accutane is your best option. Alternatively, you could add oral antibiotics to your current topical regimen, but in any case I would look for a new Dermatologist because your current one doesn't seem to be very helpful.

post-145613-1305630762_thumb.jpg

(Click image)

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2835909/pdf/de0103_0162.pdf

http://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/726464_3

http://pediatrics.aappublications.org/content/118/3/1188.full.pdf

Good luck

MemberMember
(@cameroni)

Posted : 07/22/2013 10:42 pm

I would go to a new derm, I know its easier said than done but maybe you could get their policy on accutane before actually spending the money on an appointment. But yea t zone acne sucks man I feel you. In my opinion scarring shouldn't be the determining factor in prescribing someone accutane, especially if you are a male.

MemberMember
(@aanabill)

Posted : 07/23/2013 4:31 am

what is ur diet and lifestyle like?

do u use any topicals like clindamycin,bp etc. ?

MemberMember
(@holdingmeback)

Posted : 07/23/2013 12:09 pm

what is ur diet and lifestyle like?

do u use any topicals like clindamycin,bp etc. ?

topicals - differin and finaeca

diet I try to eat as healthy as possible, avoiding fried foods and diary which do contribute to my breakouts I have noticed. I enjoy fruits and veggies.

I workout/exercise as much as possible as well, anywhere from 3-6 days a week, depending on what is going on.

It's just frustrating because topicals don't fight from the inside out, where the root of my acne problem is located I believe.

Thanks for the comments so far everyone!

MemberMember
(@clearskinguy)

Posted : 07/23/2013 1:15 pm

Hi there holdingmeback!

I think you're absolutely right”topicals don't fight acne from the inside out and it's lilkely that the root of your acne problem has little to do with your actual skin itself. I've come to this opinion through lots and lots of research on the subject and also through lots of trial and error and personal experience in actually eradicating my own acne.

I struggled with moderate to severe acne for years after I got out of high school and have been completely clear for about 5 years now (woohoo!). I'll share with you the basic principles that helped me, as well as others I've known (and helped), get to the ROOT of their acne. They are really more like lifestyle changes. Some may disagree, but I've seen these principles work over and over again when applied. Without a doubt, they worked for me.

1) Avoid the most common foods that cause and aggravate acne (typically allergenic to most people). These include:

* wheat and gluten containing products (most grains in general)

* dairy

* soy

* rancid fats (fried and hydrogentated oils)

* sugar (in all forms)

* alcohol

2) Eat a diet that promotes good skin

Below is a very basic outline. The point is to have a low sugar diet w/ and emphasis in high vitamins and minerals. I've found that sugar feeds bad bacteria in your stomach, which is at the root of a lot of acne cases. This is also known as candida.

* veggies, including sea veggies and sprouts (obviously)

* low sugar and no-sugar fruits (tomatoes, cucumbers, etc)

* nuts, seeds, oils

* lean quality meats and fish

* certain high nutrient, lower glycemic grains like oatmeal, quinoa and wild rice.

3) Take proven, safe, time-tested skin-specific herbs/food-supplements

* Burdock root tea

* medicinal mushrooms like reishi and maitake

* drink fresh, raw green vegetable juice DAILY

4) Consume PROBIOTICS and natural antibiotics

A poor internal "ecosystem" is very often at the root of skin problems. Probiotics are natural beneficial bacteria that feed the good bacteria in your stomach, giving you better digestion, better immune response, better skin, etc, etc. You can get probiotics from food or supplements. Or both.

Natural antibiotics are herbs that are specifically targeted to kill bad bacteria, parasites and other pathogenic organisms that are probably hanging out in your system.

5) Practice proper food combining.

This is kind of a divided topic but I have seen the bevefits first hand. Do your own research on this subject, but the main thing to keep in mind is not to eat proteins with starches. And don't eat sugar after meals. There is a direct link between poor digestion and poor skin.

6) Detoxify

Sweat! Practice deep breathing and exercise to clean out your system of toxins.

7) Care for your skin properly from the outside

* wash 90% of the time with WATER ONLY

* use fresh aloe vera leaf gel on your skin

8) Don't let emotions get in the way of clear skin :-)

MemberMember
(@13yearsofacne)

Posted : 07/23/2013 2:30 pm

Depends on a lot of things but if your hormones are normal I wouldn't invest much time in diet therapy as - happy to be corrected - this can only alter the sebum and inflammation pathways of acne.

I would look more into your keratinocyte behaviour, corneocyte cohesion and bacterial colonisation of any anaerobic environments created in the pilosebaceous unit.

MemberMember
(@aanabill)

Posted : 07/24/2013 1:06 am

not to eat protein with starches.

what?

not to disagree with anyone but if u have severe acne that is causing u emotional and physical discomfort,in my opinion preventing acne with diet & lifestyle but treating acne with milder topicals like clindamycin + nicotinamide (this one helps with some PIH as well) gel is good.

also,use a mild pH balanced bha wash helps (with chemical exfoliation; instead of physical - since they cause irritation in sensitive/acne-prone skin)

also,if its hormonal.u can more or less help a lil' with diet and lifetsyle but u can never treat it completely with some bcp or hormonal therapy.

but if its indeed diet related (or even otherwise) eatimg a good diet and leading a proper life(sleep for 7-8 hrs; less/no stress - meditate or do things that make u happy etc.) will help ur general health and improve ur immunity system,healing ability,skin and the whole system.

*without