Notifications
Clear all

Is There A Correlation Between Working In A Restaurant And Acne Breakouts?

MemberMember
(@stella-the-diver)

Posted : 07/06/2013 11:18 am

I know this might be a stupid question lol. I'm not talking about any restaurant, though, nor any job position. I'm mostly referring to restaurants that fry a lot of stuff and if one's working mostly inside a kitchen. Now, I've been working for nearly a decade in a Chinese restaurant, mostly in the kitchen packing orders. It's a very tiny kitchen and they fry food all the time. I feel like my face is more sticky from oil and sweaty, especially in the summer. I don't fry the food, though, so I'm not really in close proximity to the vat of bubbling oil, but since the kitchen is small, I'm about 1-2 meters away from it. If it doesn't cause breakouts, then I guess it plays a role in making my face more oily?

MemberMember
(@torquemonster)

Posted : 07/06/2013 11:35 am

When I was in high school and college I worked as a cook in a restaurant that did a lot of deep frying. I always felt as though I had a thin layer of grease on me, and my skin was pretty bad back then. Somehow the frying grease must penetrate into the skin because I remember smelling like deep fried fish/seafood even after taking a shower. I think you are right.

MemberMember
(@coonie7525)

Posted : 07/06/2013 11:46 am

I think there is a correlation because my sister used to work at a pizza place, and her face was always really broken out. A while after she quit her acne didn't completely go away but it definitely improved.

MemberMember
(@aanabill)

Posted : 07/06/2013 1:01 pm

stella, i am not sure if it causes break outs but i so fear that whole idea.

u know i love cooking.

absolutely love it but its been mnths since i have cooked something totally myself.

our kitchen isnt a big one. and i could call it 'hot & humid' all year round.

so i sweat quite a lot if i am to stand and prepare full meals.which i dread.

i have never found no evidence as of now but i am just to scared to even try it.

in fact there's been times when i need to go stir something,but i dnt and wait for mum.

its bothering and my mum is all crazy about the fact that i am so 'idle' all day.

but i am so freaked out that i would rather not eat than sweat in the kitchen.

MemberMember
(@stella-the-diver)

Posted : 07/06/2013 1:07 pm

stella, i am not sure if it causes break outs but i so fear that whole idea.

u know i love cooking.

absolutely love it but its been mnths since i have cooked something totally myself.

our kitchen isnt a big one. and i could call it 'hot & humid' all year round.

so i sweat quite a lot if i am to stand and prepare full meals.which i dread.

i have never found no evidence as of now but i am just to scared to even try it.

in fact there's been times when i need to go stir something,but i dnt and wait for mum.

its bothering and my mum is all crazy about the fact that i am so 'idle' all day.

but i am so freaked out that i would rather not eat than sweat in the kitchen.

Yeah, I know what you mean, I was working yesterday and I felt like my face was melting, it felt gross, I had to go splash some cold water on my face. I don't feel like going to work today and I might call in sick 'cause I have a bad breakout right now, I dunno why, and I just didn't feel comfortable being at the restaurant with all that air charged oil that's potentially going to aggrave it. I just want to stay in bed!!

MemberMember
(@aanabill)

Posted : 07/06/2013 1:22 pm

darling i understand what u mean.

this 'not today' thingy happens to all of us.

can u possibly think of another option for work in future?

i suggest u continue here for now but keep on the search elsewhere too.

what say?

MemberMember
(@stella-the-diver)

Posted : 07/06/2013 1:36 pm

darling i understand what u mean.

this 'not today' thingy happens to all of us.

can u possibly think of another option for work in future?

i suggest u continue here for now but keep on the search elsewhere too.

what say?

Yeah, I have been thinking of changing part-time job, but this job is flexible for me, as I can go to school and work at the restaurant in the weekends only so that it won't interfere with my studies. We'll see!

MemberMember
(@aanabill)

Posted : 07/06/2013 1:54 pm

its just in the weekends.

well,at least thats not what u do everyday!

cheer up mate!

i know my saying wont help much but still!