Notifications
Clear all

Stieva-A (Tretinoin) Help! Initial Breakout Phase!

MemberMember
(@cmzzz)

Posted : 07/06/2013 5:49 am

I've been using Stieva-A (tretinoin) (.05%) at night and DUAC gel in the morning to treat acne. I also use cetaphil oily skin cleanser and Microexfoliating Toner before tretinoin which I got from my derm, I think it has glycolic acid (not sure). I started this skin care regimen last May 7,2013. I'm on my week 8/9 with these products and my left cheek is the worse! I breakout from the same spot or when one has healed then another pimple pops out of nowhere beside the previous spot which makes it look horrible! How long should I wait for the initial breakout? I am already depressed as my skin just breaks out like every single night which is frustrating! Before tret, my skin has around 4-5 huge cystic pimples and lil whiteheads across my forehead, cheek and chin area. The good thing about tretinoin is that my lil whiteheads are no longer noticeable and the over all skin texture looks finer in texture but I always breakout and it's always cystic acne!! it's huge and painful and takes forever to heal! sad.png this is frustrating. I'm 22 years old. Please help me. I'm new here.

MemberMember
(@leelowe1)

Posted : 07/06/2013 7:41 am

I'm sorry you are going through this. Acne medications are not easy, especially during the first 3-6 months of use. And the time frame they give you (3 months and you'll be clear) is not always realistic.

Give it at least 4 months and then if you are not seeing some consistent improvement, you may want to revaluate. I used the same drug as you (in the atralin form) and even by week 12 i was breaking out so its quite normal. I am now on a different treatment and i am almost 3 months in and still breakout but there has been some improvement. Stay positive and learn to ignore your skin during this time

Chin Up

MemberMember
(@torquemonster)

Posted : 07/06/2013 11:53 am

Cmzzz,

It almost sounds like you should check-in with the derm doc that prescribed those meds. They may not be right for you and possibly should be revised.You must be a tough person..... I think the mental anxiety would be enough to put me in the hospital with a stress attack. Hang in there and don't let it get to you.

PS: I don't mean to be a jerk but that cursive font you are using is really difficult to read especially on a small screen device like ian Phone.

MemberMember
(@cmzzz)

Posted : 07/09/2013 10:37 am

I'm sorry you are going through this. Acne medications are not easy, especially during the first 3-6 months of use. And the time frame they give you (3 months and you'll be clear) is not always realistic.

Give it at least 4 months and then if you are not seeing some consistent improvement, you may want to revaluate. I used the same drug as you (in the atralin form) and even by week 12 i was breaking out so its quite normal. I am now on a different treatment and i am almost 3 months in and still breakout but there has been some improvement. Stay positive and learn to ignore your skin during this time

Chin Up

i'm on my week 9 this week. So just a quick update, so far so good. I was given tetralysal capsules to help treat my cystic acne and so far it's been great I didn't have new acne formation. Although i broke out last week and I have 2 big cystic acne and the rest are scars! geez. I hope it works this time 🙁 i've been struggling with acne since I was 11! I'm already 22. With my skin care regimen, I bought stieva-a from our pharmacy here in the philippines and I was wondering why the consistency of stieva from my derma is a bit thicker compared to the one I bought recently. I think it's because it was repackaged and all. Let you know for further updates. I may not be breaking out pretty badly but still i'm hoping. so fingers crossed! <3

Cmzzz,

It almost sounds like you should check-in with the derm doc that prescribed those meds. They may not be right for you and possibly should be revised.You must be a tough person..... I think the mental anxiety would be enough to put me in the hospital with a stress attack. Hang in there and don't let it get to you.

PS: I don't mean to be a jerk but that cursive font you are using is really difficult to read especially on a small screen device like ian Phone.

Hi Torquemonster, I already changed my font. It's okay i'm new here. LOL. So far, my acne meds are kind of working. I mean, i'm not saying i'm clear because I have a lot of acne scars around my left cheek. I don't mean my super deeps scars but mostly are hyperpigmentations which is more common for asian skin. thanks!