Quitting The Regime...

Notifications
Clear all

Quitting The Regimen 🙁

MemberMember
(@dunedain)

Posted : 06/19/2013 1:02 pm

It seems like the Regimen is simply not the solution for me, and in fact may have made things worse..

After using the Regimen for a few good months (5 months), for whatever reason, my skin is now allergic to BP. I tried decreasing the amount of BP, pushing through, adding extra moisturiser, and even taking out the one product that had changed over the last few months (makeup remover wipes) but still, after one night of using BP, my skin will be red, irritated, itchy and dry. Prior to the Regimen I had been using BP for years, but now I can't use my old brand of BP either because my skin is too sensitive.

Maybe it's just unfortunate timing? I still use the cleanser, moisturiser and jojoba oil..but the real bread and butter of the Regimen is no longer for me.

I'm going to see a derm soon to see what they can do for me, but in the mean time I don't really have any method of "treatment" for my skin. Anybody know any good alternatives to BP? I have products with salicylic acid and I've been using it but only very sparingly, as I'm afraid it'll dry my skin out a lot the way BP did.

MemberMember
(@entric)

Posted : 06/19/2013 3:36 pm

I used Yes To Tomatoes prior to my purchase of the Regimen. The spot treatment is awesome but it stings a bit.

MemberMember
(@deus_ex)

Posted : 06/19/2013 6:56 pm

I believe some people who are allergic to BP use tea tree oil as an alternative. Careful though, the stuff can be pretty strong.

I'd suggest talking to your dermatologist first though just in case. Good luck!

MemberMember
(@sorbet)

Posted : 06/19/2013 7:23 pm

I think using products like BP and Proactiv has made my skin so sensitive that I can't use it anymore... I have a feeling I may be a little allergic to it too, and my skin sounds the same as yours when I use it.

I started using products with a very small amount of salicylic acid in it and it's been great for my skin. Although I still get a couple of pimples here and there, I don't get any of the dryness/flakiness or redness I get with BP. Tea tree oil is pretty good too, though I've found it is similar to BP if I don't mix it with water and put it on large areas of my face.

MemberMember
(@dunedain)

Posted : 06/20/2013 10:24 pm

I think using products like BP and Proactiv has made my skin so sensitive that I can't use it anymore... I have a feeling I may be a little allergic to it too, and my skin sounds the same as yours when I use it.

I started using products with a very small amount of salicylic acid in it and it's been great for my skin. Although I still get a couple of pimples here and there, I don't get any of the dryness/flakiness or redness I get with BP. Tea tree oil is pretty good too, though I've found it is similar to BP if I don't mix it with water and put it on large areas of my face.

Salicylic acid has been ok for me so far, but I use it pretty sparingly. Do you have any tea tree oil brands that you might recommend?

Btw I noticed you used Olay complete defense with spf30?? I've been looking for something with SPF and was wondering if that's a good one :o

MemberMember
(@darkheart)

Posted : 06/20/2013 10:36 pm

Yes, definitely see a dermatologist to get a clinical strength topical and possibly an antibiotic. There are so many more options a derm can give you compared to this over the counter garbage. Why did you wait so long to see a Dermatologist in the first place?

MemberMember
(@sorbet)

Posted : 06/21/2013 1:58 am

Salicylic acid has been ok for me so far, but I use it pretty sparingly. Do you have any tea tree oil brands that you might recommend?

Btw I noticed you used Olay complete defense with spf30?? I've been looking for something with SPF and was wondering if that's a good one gasp.gif

I just chose a brand of tea tree that was on sale in my local supermarket haha, it's by Thursday Plantation. Apparently they have a medicated tea tree gel specially for acne too, so I might give that a shot to replace my BP.

Yep, I've gone through a couple of bottles of the Olay SPF30. I used it while I was clear so I know it doesn't break me out. I like it, it doesn't feel greasy and it sinks in really well. I am trying to change everything skin care/makeup-wise I use to more natural products though because my skin's so sensitive, so I'm looking at something like the Soleo Organics SPF for next time.

MemberMember
(@dunedain)

Posted : 06/21/2013 9:38 am

Yes, definitely see a dermatologist to get a clinical strength topical and possibly an antibiotic. There are so many more options a derm can give you compared to this over the counter garbage. Why did you wait so long to see a Dermatologist in the first place?

Because really bad breakouts only happened once in a while, and if they did it was usually because of PMS. I had residual hyperpigmentation but nothing that made me feel like I had to go to the derm since BP kept my acne controlled. :(

MemberMember
(@darkheart)

Posted : 06/21/2013 11:49 am

Because really bad breakouts only happened once in a while, and if they did it was usually because of PMS. I had residual hyperpigmentation but nothing that made me feel like I had to go to the derm since BP kept my acne controlled. sad.png

Oh okay. You might have luck with a topical called Retin A, a lot of women do.

MemberMember
(@lorman)

Posted : 06/23/2013 12:19 pm

Hi, I tried the the Regimen for about three years and had pretty good results; I was clear for the first time in my life. Sadly, my skin started to become very dull, irritated, and dry despite moisturizing. I also started to break again. When I quit the Regimen, I experienced the worst break out of my life; I had severe cystic acne all over my face, it was an absolute nightmare. I think that as I got older, my skin was less able to handle the BP and once I decided to quit it, my skin freaked out and went crazy.

This was about a year and a half ago and I've managed to clear most of my acne, Thank God. I cleared it naturally by changing my diet, exercising, finding the right combination of herbal supplemnts, ditching all my commercial products for natural ones (ex: aloe vera, oatmeal, green clay, jojoba oil, manuka honey), and destressing. The trick is finding and treating the root cause of your acne.

I used to think that products that weren't filled with chemicals couldn't possibly help clear my skin...I was wrong. I hope you find something that helps you!

MemberMember
(@kevindreed)

Posted : 06/27/2013 7:49 pm

Never stop trying. I went years with breakouts before I found what worked for me.

Giving up when you have acne is not even a choice. Try everything till you find what works for you.