Notifications
Clear all

Night Time Itching - Leading To Scarring

MemberMember
(@jayjay786)

Posted : 06/06/2013 1:05 am

Hi guys,

So I'm new to this and not sure if I got this in the forum or not - so go easy on me if I haven't :)

Basically I was wondering if anyone knows of any products that can help me to stop scratching my face at night. I seemed to be doing this in my sleep and so I am unaware of it. I've tried to use mittens at night, didn't work. Have tried anti histimanes, which seem to keep it somewhat in control. Use olive oil occasionally but even that seems not to work these days. My skin has become scarred severely due to this, ice pick scars, but I feel I cannot even begin to treat this until the initial problem is solved. Would be off huge help if anyone can help. Also seems to get worse with stubble, I'm a dude just in case you wasn't in the know :P....

Thanks

Jayjay

MemberMember
(@xesro)

Posted : 06/06/2013 4:58 am

There isn't any product that can make your arms stop moving and scratch your face. Its something you will have to overcome !

MemberMember
(@jayjay786)

Posted : 06/07/2013 11:53 pm

Thanks Xesro

Any one got any advice on overcoming it? :) thanks

MemberMember
(@exister)

Posted : 06/07/2013 11:58 pm

I would honestly by new oven mitts, keep them clean, and tape them on every night before bed.

MemberMember
(@quirky-fox)

Posted : 06/08/2013 10:24 am

Are you restless in your sleep? Magnesium! :D I used to toss and turn and my arms would end up over my face or wound behind my back like a contortionist! Sounds to me that if you're picking at your skin during the night you must be semi-awake. If you were truly asleep then you would be locked into place by our body's natural process (during REM) so that we don't act out our dreams or nightmares, hehe. So if you're not sleeping properly, or if you've ever sleepwalked or painted the Mona Lisa in your slumber then chances are you have a sleep disorder. Just something to think about!

Google magnesium and the benefits it has on your sleep. Can't hurt to try it. I swear by it!

As for methods to stop yourself from scratching, two things come to mind. Cut your fingernails to as short as you can stand. Lay on some layers of clear nail polish. This will make your nails thicker and thus you will find it harder to scratch yourself. ;) I wear gel nails (done at a salon) and so my nails are about 4 times thicker than my natural nail. I have long fingernails and I find it hard to scratch as my nails are too soft/thick.

Good luck! x

jayjay786 liked
MemberMember
(@jayjay786)

Posted : 06/09/2013 12:33 am

thanks for the replys guy:

I would honestly by new oven mitts, keep them clean, and tape them on every night before bed.

MemberMember
(@acnescar123)

Posted : 06/09/2013 8:14 am

I had a similar type thing happen but mine's was caused by the skin being dry+itchy. I tried using more moisturizer and it went away.

MemberMember
(@quirky-fox)

Posted : 06/09/2013 9:09 am

Hi Exister - I think they would still irritate my skin - thanks for the advice though dude smile.png

>

Are you restless in your sleep? Magnesium! biggrin.png I used to toss and turn and my arms would end up over my face or wound behind my back like a contortionist! Sounds to me that if you're picking at your skin during the night you must be semi-awake. If you were truly asleep then you would be locked into place by our body's natural process (during REM) so that we don't act out our dreams or nightmares, hehe. So if you're not sleeping properly, or if you've ever sleepwalked or painted the Mona Lisa in your slumber then chances are you have a sleep disorder. Just something to think about!

Google magnesium and the benefits it has on your sleep. Can't hurt to try it. I swear by it!

As for methods to stop yourself from scratching, two things come to mind. Cut your fingernails to as short as you can stand. Lay on some layers of clear nail polish. This will make your nails thicker and thus you will find it harder to scratch yourself. wink.png I wear gel nails (done at a salon) and so my nails are about 4 times thicker than my natural nail. I have long fingernails and I find it hard to scratch as my nails are too soft/thick.

Good luck! x

Hi Quirky Fox - I am restless (i think mainly due to my concerns with my skins) - I use to sleepwalk apparently when i was younger (walk in to doors and have conversations with family members shy.gif ) but i do some times awake when itching and also am dreaming of itching as well. So does the Magnesium help with this? what dose do you take - and make? Will definitely order some on your advice wink.png.....As for cutting my nails - already doing that smile.png....Hmmmmmm eusa_think.gif , Clear nail polish, why not grinwink.gif ...Thanks you again, be grateful if you could let me know about the magnesium - and will let you know how i get on x

Sleepwalking is a sleep disorder. While funny sometimes, it's actually a bad bad thing! :( I find it hard to get to sleep at night sometimes too as my mind races and I find myself thinking about my skin and what I can do next and the regrets I have with not being more careful with it in the past. I know the feeling all too well. I also know that I too used to pick at my skin while lying in bed (when I had active acne). I also used to scratch my head or play with my hair until I fell asleep. I personally think it's anxiety - makes you fidgety and more alert than you really need to be.

It's a hard habit to kick but it can be done. You really have to re-train your brain for this! These are the things I did to kick my habit, and are the things I do every night now as it's just part of my natural routine. :)

1) Try to relax before going to bed. Wind yourself down with your favourite music, take a long bath, watch a good movie, play Xbox (my favourite!), yoga... anything that makes you feel good. :) You don't have to go to bed at the same time every night (but this isn't a bad thing to consider) but make sure you start winding down as soon as you feel tired but not quite ready for sleep.

2) Keep the area where you sleep clean and make sure you have lots of fresh air getting to you. Oxygen is your friend!

3) Magnesium. This is a super weapon and it completely natural and safe to take long term. You shoudn't have to stress about what dosage to take as there are tablets out there that are scientifically designed to help you sleep. I use a brand called Swisse and the bottle is simply labelled "Sleep" - you can find it here. I take two tablets half an hour before bed. Some nights I do have really vivid dreams and I'm not sure if it's because of the magnesium but they are awesome dreams! Lol! It will take about a week before they really start kicking in though.

4) While you're lying in bed waiting to fall asleep, think about things that make you happy! Don't dwell on the past, you can't change that. Think instead about how good your skin will look once you kick this habit and are able to start to fix things. You're not alone!

I hope this helps in some way. :) xx

MemberMember
(@jayjay786)

Posted : 06/09/2013 10:51 pm

I had a similar type thing happen but mine's was caused by the skin being dry+itchy. I tried using more moisturizer and it went away.

Thanks for replying - What moisturisee do you use - because most seem to irritate my irritated skin?

Hi Exister - I think they would still irritate my skin - thanks for the advice though dude smile.png

&gt

;

Are you restless in your sleep? Magnesium! biggrin.png I used to toss and turn and my arms would end up over my face or wound behind my back like a contortionist! Sounds to me that if you're picking at your skin during the night you must be semi-awake. If you were truly asleep then you would be locked into place by our body's natural process (during REM) so that we don't act out our dreams or nightmares, hehe. So if you're not sleeping properly, or if you've ever sleepwalked or painted the Mona Lisa in your slumber then chances are you have a sleep disorder. Just something to think about!

As for methods to stop yourself from scratching, two things come to mind. Cut your fingernails to as short as you can stand. Lay on some layers of clear nail polish. This will make your nails thicker and thus you will find it harder to scratch yourself. wink.png I wear gel nails (done at a salon) and so my nails are about 4 times thicker than my natural nail. I have long fingernails and I find it hard to scratch as my nails are too soft/thick.

Good luck! x

lockquote>

Hi Quirky Fox - I am restless (i think mainly due to my concerns with my skins) - I use to sleepwalk apparently when i was younger (walk in to doors and have conversations with family members shy.gif ) but i do some times awake when itching and also am dreaming of itching as well. So does the Magnesium help with this? what dose do you take - and make? Will definitely order some on your advice wink.png.....As for cutting my nails - already doing that smile.png....Hmmmmmm eusa_think.gif , Clear nail polish, why not grinwink.gif ...Thanks you again, be grateful if you could let me know about the magnesium - and will let you know how i get on x

Sleepwalking is a sleep disorder. While funny sometimes, it's actually a bad bad thing! sad.png I find it hard to get to sleep at night sometimes too as my mind races and I find myself thinking about my skin and what I can do next and the regrets I have with not being more careful with it in the past. I know the feeling all too well. I also know that I too used to pick at my skin while lying in bed (when I had active acne). I also used to scratch my head or play with my hair until I fell asleep. I personally think it's anxiety - makes you fidgety and more alert than you really need to be.

It's a hard habit to kick but it can be done. You really have to re-train your brain for this! These are the things I did to kick my habit, and are the things I do every night now as it's just part of my natural routine. smile.png

1) Try to relax before going to bed. Wind yourself down with your favourite music, take a long bath, watch a good movie, play Xbox (my favourite!), yoga... anything that makes you feel good. smile.png You don't have to go to bed at the same time every night (but this isn't a bad thing to consider) but make sure you start winding down as soon as you feel tired but not quite ready for sleep.

2) Keep the area where you sleep clean and make sure you have lots of fresh air getting to you. Oxygen is your friend!

3) Magnesium. This is a super weapon and it completely natural and safe to take long term. You shoudn't have to stress about what dosage to take as there are tablets out there that are scientifically designed to help you sleep. I use a brand called Swisse and the bottle is simply labelled "Sleep" - you can find it here. I take two tablets half an hour before bed. Some nights I do have really vivid dreams and I'm not sure if it's because of the magnesium but they are awesome dreams! Lol! It will take about a week before they really start kicking in though.

4) While you're lying in bed waiting to fall asleep, think about things that make you happy! Don't dwell on the past, you can't change that. Think instead about how good your skin will look once you kick this habit and are able to start to fix things. You're not alone!

I hope this helps in some way. smile.png xx

"I find it hard to get to sleep at night sometimes too as my mind races and I find myself thinking about my skin and what I can do next and the regrets I have with not being more careful with it in the past" - this is me (but i do try to be positive on the most , its just before bed i most anxious :D) -

1 - I'm a Playstation guy - so might try that (BTW a female who plays XBOX ;) )

2 - would you recommend keeping my window open at night?

3 - Will definitely try those, thank you for posting link - looking forward to those dreams - I think!!!

4 - Definitely going to start doing that again - yup, definitely -

Thanks for all the info - just wondering if you've managed to kick the habit? and what sort of scars you where left with?

Thank you very much :) x

MemberMember
(@quirky-fox)

Posted : 06/12/2013 7:07 am

"I find it hard to get to sleep at night sometimes too as my mind races and I find myself thinking about my skin and what I can do next and the regrets I have with not being more careful with it in the past" - this is me (but i do try to be positive on the most , its just before bed i most anxious biggrin.png) -

1 - I'm a Playstation guy - so might try that (BTW a female who plays XBOX wink.png )

2 - would you recommend keeping my window open at night?

3 - Will definitely try those, thank you for posting link - looking forward to those dreams - I think!!!

4 - Definitely going to start doing that again - yup, definitely -

Thanks for all the info - just wondering if you've managed to kick the habit? and what sort of scars you where left with?

Thank you very much smile.png x

Hehe, I am the resident geek amongst my family/friends! I think I am surgically attached to my Xbox.

Keep your window open only if it is not too cold at night. Otherwise just make sure you have good air flow about you where you sleep. In the warmer months I just open my window a little bit and in Winter I seem to be okay with it closed (maybe because the air in the room is cooler anyway... not sure).

I did kick the habit but it took time! I don't think my night time picking caused any significant scarring. It was more that my acne was so severe and that it was unfortunately left untreated for so long that I developed my scars. My doctor fumbled around for years before finally prescribing my Accutane... but even then once my course was finished the acne came back with a vengeance. Oh well, the past is the past. Today my skin has not looked so good since I was 12 and acne free!

Slightly off topic, but I used to bite my fingernails and the skin around my fingernails all the time. I would even make myself bleed sometimes. Years and years and years... I know now that it was nervous tension but at the time it was just so uncontrollable. I kicked the habit by writing the word "no" on each of my fingers. The writing was both embarrassing and a reminder. It forced me to really think about what I was doing, and eventually I just forgot about biting my fingers. I have lovely fingers and fingernails now, lol! I've read some things about anxiety/tension and if you are not suffering from a severe case, 99% of the time a bit of cognitive thinking can get you back on track.

Maybe every time you raise your fingers to your face you can mentally tell yourself "NO! I DON'T WANT SCARS!" and eventually you might kick the habit like I did. :P