Notifications
Clear all

"wacky" Tips Recommended By Your Derm?

MemberMember
(@stella-the-diver)

Posted : 05/04/2013 11:19 am

Hey, have a derm ever given you any "weird" tips that you would never think of to help your acne? Here's a list of what my derm have told me so far :

- Don't store your bath products in the bathroom (face wash, shampoo, lotion,...) --> which makes sense because of the germs, I guess

-After you wash your face, rinse in the shower or stick your head under the faucet so that all the soap is rinsed off

-Avoid fresh garlic...

-Use a pillow with feathers, not foam because it's toxic

- Don't wear chapstick

-Don't use Colgate toothpaste ( I forgot to ask why)

The last two about the chapstick and colgate, she seems to tell that to all of her patients regardless if they have acne or not. Heck, she tells me that at every visit I've been to.

She's a very unconventional derm, by the way . Her office and waiting room is very cluttered, dusty and antique-looking. She doesn't have a secretary! The visit hours and waiting time are based on a first-come first serve basis because it's a walk-in clinic. You can wait up to 3-4 hours! The hours start fronm 2 pm but she always arrives like 2 hours late. If ever you call for an "appointment", she'll tell you to come at 5 pm, but you end up seeing her at 8 pm! So, appointments are pretty much useless, basically. People just start coming in and coming in, and the only way how you know it's your turn is to see who was the person who came after you. I heard the last patient to see was at 2 am! So, the derm ends up sleeping in her office.

But, she seems to be a very good doctor according to what a lot of her patients say, and she's very considerate and nice. She'll let patients who have kids or babies before others.

I dunno, I feel kinda skeptic towards her, even though she seems to know what she's doing and her logic kinda makes sense. But she's the only doctor I can go to as I'll have to wait a relatively long time to see other dermatologists in my area... :/

Any stories, guys?

MemberMember
(@xxyy)

Posted : 05/04/2013 11:33 am

I'm sure there's method to her madness, I for one cant use chapstick without a breakout directly on my lip line. Possibly the worst place to break out (apart from directly on your nose, omfg)

MemberMember
(@aanabill)

Posted : 05/04/2013 12:32 pm

in india most people use pillow of cotton and some kind of seed like balls..i'm not sure what.

i'm curious about why not to use colgate and why not have fresh garlic?

i thought garlic is really good except for odour.

and by "FRESH" do u mean "RAW"??

will "COOKED" be considered fresh?

(@LewisS)

Posted : 05/04/2013 2:29 pm

I'm really curious about the use of colgate...it's the only toothpaste I use! :S

Lip balms never really caused me issues. Unless I put too much on.

Could you ask about the toothpaste for us? I'm sure a lot of people use colgate.

MemberMember
(@stella-the-diver)

Posted : 05/04/2013 3:43 pm

in india most people use pillow of cotton and some kind of seed like balls..i'm not sure what.

i think she said raw, yes.

I'm really curious about the use of colgate...it's the only toothpaste I use! :S

Could you ask about the toothpaste for us? I'm sure a lot of people use colgate.

Yes, I'll ask her next time I see her! (in about a month or so)

I also use Colgate. I remember a long time ago she recommended I use Sensodyne, instead, but I hated the taste and texture of it...

(@LewisS)

Posted : 05/04/2013 3:45 pm

MemberMember
(@s0633186monmouth-edu)

Posted : 05/04/2013 4:44 pm

I really laughed out loud when I read this! I would probably have a heart attack if she was my derm. I'm addicted to my eos chapstick and what is she, a dentist now too? Maybe colgate has flouride in it and I know that some people say that it could cause acne but I usually use Crest so I guess I'm good..but I would die if this woman was my dermatologist lol..I would hate not having an appointment. How does she find your chart when it's your turn to go? and she's seen patients at 2 am? omgg lol..it'll be funny though if she comes on here and reads this because she'll know that you're talking about her lol.

MemberMember
(@aanabill)

Posted : 05/05/2013 4:44 am

>I'm really curious about the use of colgate...it's the only toothpaste I use! :S

I also use Colgate. I remember a long time ago she recommended I use Sensodyne, instead, but I hated the taste and texture of it...

okay.

raw,it is.

i have a request.since it was her advice..could u please ask her is cooked/sauteed garlic is bad?and why is raw ones bad(unless one is intolerant)?

i've made a post where i mean to add good food for acne.

i have included garlic.because its anti-bacterial.

MemberMember
(@stella-the-diver)

Posted : 05/05/2013 8:59 am

>I'm really curious about the use of colgate...it's the only toothpaste I use! :S

okay.

raw,it is.

i have a request.since it was her advice..could u please ask her is cooked/sauteed garlic is bad?and why is raw ones bad(unless one is intolerant)?

i've made a post where i mean to add good food for acne.

i have included garlic.because its anti-bacterial.

I've always wondered the same thing about sauteed garlic (they make everything taste good). Yes, will do!

Lol, I never bothered to ask her all these questions because I had so many other important questions. I just took everything in without questioning! Plus, I felt like I was taking too much of her time because she had a lot of patients to see considering her method of doing things...

MemberMember
(@stella-the-diver)

Posted : 05/05/2013 9:15 pm

I also forgot she also mentionned not to chew gum!

MemberMember
(@6n4m)

Posted : 05/05/2013 9:34 pm

Sounds like just general skin tips.

A lot of people dislike chapstick because many brands have menthol or other alcohols that some people are sensitive to and will actually cause dry lips. Personally, I just use regular moisturizer on my lips if they ever become dry (rare). If you want to continue to chapstick, that's fine, just make sure there's no alcohol (mainly anything that ends in -ol) in the ingredients list if you think you might be sensitive to it.

MemberMember
(@james671)

Posted : 05/05/2013 9:37 pm

I switched toothpastes from Crest to tom's toothpaste (more natural) and it significantly cleared up my chin and acne around my mouth.

I also hear it's good to avoid colored toothpastes.

Also shampooing and conditioning your hair in a way that the foam never runs over your face or back (by using a shower head handle thing or something else)

I don't understand the gum. Why would it make a difference?

(@LewisS)

Posted : 05/06/2013 6:25 am

Not to chew gum either? My teeth loves fluoride and gum though...keeps me cavity free!

MemberMember
(@aanabill)

Posted : 05/06/2013 8:18 am

gum has sugar and agents that are not good if u're on an acne-diet.actually,any diet.

about colgate,i am quite sure its the fluoride which makes many break out.

even if u use it i think u should be a lil' careful not to let it spread all around ur mouth.

although i dont think many gets all 'bubbled up' while brushing!grinwink.gif

MemberMember
(@stella-the-diver)

Posted : 06/11/2013 12:22 pm

Hey everyone, so as promised, I went back to see my derm yesterday and asked about the garlic and colgate. She told me that garlic has been linked to autoimmune skin diseases and as for Colgate (Total only) , it contains Triclosan which is toxic!

MemberMember
(@drewfish01)

Posted : 06/11/2013 1:19 pm

So what toothpaste do you use then?

MemberMember
(@jb00)

Posted : 06/11/2013 5:59 pm

regarding, using colgate toothpaste - yes change to a non-flouride toothpaste; It has definitely cleared my acne around the mouth (but I think it is not classified under acne but a different derm term); also colgate has SLS, sugar, antibac which just damages the natural bacteria balance in our mouth. If you were able to check the the ingredients list of any colgate toothpaste, you will wonder why are you putting all this chemicals on your mouth. Meanwhile using a non-flouride toothpaste will be 100% better for you.

MemberMember
(@stella-the-diver)

Posted : 06/11/2013 8:11 pm

So what toothpaste do you use then?

I haven't made the switch yet to a better toothpaste yet because my parents always buy colgate total.

MemberMember
(@helton)

Posted : 06/11/2013 8:20 pm

Haha, I like your derm! :)

Has she ever recommend any products, like cleanser, sunblock etc to use?

MemberMember
(@aanabill)

Posted : 06/12/2013 3:37 am

Hey everyone, so as promised, I went back to see my derm yesterday and asked about the garlic and colgate. She told me that garlic has been linked to autoimmune skin diseases and as for Colgate (Total only) , it contains Triclosan which is toxic!

did u find out anything about garlic and the autoimmune disease link?

i am assuming she meant 'raw garlic' could be linked.

garlic otherwise has so many good points, that neglecting it totally is a not a great idea!

MemberMember
(@stella-the-diver)

Posted : 06/12/2013 6:38 am

Well, she recommended to me La Roche Posay's products, I'm actually using their face wash. There's also their moisturizer called Effaclar Duo, but I haven't used that. She also recommends Ivory (the soap bar) to wash the face.

Haha, I like your derm! smile.png

Has she ever recommend any products, like cleanser, sunblock etc to use?

MemberMember
(@aanabill)

Posted : 06/12/2013 10:03 am

i dont eat raw garlic too.

and yes,u r right about the topical use.its anti-bacterial.

i had posted things on garlic .here,

i will find out about the drawbacks and let u know.

btw,even green tea isnt great for those who have or are likely to get autoimmune disease.

i'll send u a link explaining the logic , if u want.=)

cheers.

MemberMember
(@stella-the-diver)

Posted : 07/06/2013 1:20 pm

I've made the switch to Crest toothpase, but sadly I think it's been causing my chin/mouth area acne now. I've read some posts that say the same thing. Any toothpaste recommendations, anyone?

MemberMember
(@aanabill)

Posted : 07/06/2013 1:40 pm

i am not sure if u will get dabur red toothpaste in ur country.but close up is okay for me.

MemberMember
(@3lilpigs)

Posted : 07/06/2013 2:55 pm

Haha! Your derm is a HOOT! I was laughing outloud as I was reading your post. Back when I was in college, I had dermatologist that was a weirdo. He was very old, his office and medical instruments looked like they could have been taken directly from the 1920's. My first visit, he had me wash my face in his sink with straight Hibiclens (he had me using this at home too, without diluting) and then he 'treated' my entire face with a cotton ball dipped in a bowl of dry ice. This seemed to be his signature treatment, as he'd begin every visit in this way. He prescribed me accutane and, at the time, I knew none of the strict prescribing rules that are to be followed, as I was 20 years old, going to college hours from home and the internet was only just in its infancy. My derm didn't do any blood tests, never had me take a pregnancy test and gave no advice regarding alcohol consumption while taking accutane. I was a sophomore in college, a total party girl and taking this harsh poison prescribed by an ancient doctor because he told me to! I was under his 'care' for a year and 2 rounds of accutane, the last few months he just wrote out extra scripts for me, as I was moving to Italy for school for a year. I now look at that situation in HORROR! I knew something was amiss, as he didn't take insurance at all. Only cash. I wanted clear skin so badly, that I didn't tell my family I was taking accutane. I had brought up the strange methods of my derm at one point, to my sister who was in medical school at the time. She said he was a quack and I should go to another Dr. :-/

Triclosan is in many antibacterial hand soaps, body soaps and mouthwashes. Pay close attention to the ingredients of products that come in contact with your body, I learned this lesson the hard way.

Your derm seems a bit unorthodox, but she is right on the money as far as her advice and recommendations go. From your descriptions, she sounds as though she doesn't waste her time and energy on the mundane because she is too busy giving from her heart and putting her entire soul into her work. I think that is to be commended. :)