Notifications
Clear all

Acne Scars: How To Fade Them Fast

MemberMember
(@californiaxnights)

Posted : 04/14/2013 7:51 pm

Hey there, I'm a fifteen year old girl with normal to combination skin. My biggest problem isn't my acne; it's my acne scars. I've had breakouts since I was ten years old, and my acne used to be moderate. My acne is now pretty mild, but after five years of collecting scars (I never listened to my mother when she told me not to pop my breakouts) my skin looks terrible. I've been using Aloe Vera gel, which I've heard helps to heal and fade acne scars, and I've noticed a small difference. However, I want better results faster. Are there any products that will help me fade my acne scars quickly?

MemberMember
(@oilygirl1980)

Posted : 04/18/2013 1:15 am

I would never have guessed by your other post that you are 15, you're a wise girl my dear.

For my scars-lemon juice has helped the most. Baking soda paste is said to break up damaged skin and lift it up and off. I haven't noticed a huge difference, but give it a try. Its a great exfoliant anyway. If you havent seen my reply on the other post, grapeseed oil. Im really having some luck with this oil. I know you mentioned about being nervous of putting oil on your face (rightfully so, its scary) so try a q-tip on just one scar at least to make sure you dont react negatively. This is an oil that is known for healing and restoring. I get it at the vitamin shoppe. One i havent tried is rose hip seed oil. Supposed to be pretty good. I might pick some up tomorrow and see how it goes.

Ive tried lightening creams but they haven't worked for me unfortunately.

MemberMember
(@knitty)

Posted : 04/23/2013 11:50 am

Congratulations on going from moderate to mild.

If you use a topical glycolic acid / AHA, you should find that the scars fade a bit more quickly. It sluffs off and exfoliates the dead skin cells quicker. It helps build collagen and healthy tissues. It isn't a miracle by any means, but it does help. I'd used a 10% AHA for many years twice daily on my face. However, when you FIRST BEGIN you will feel stinging and may get redness and a purging of possible acne. Start with a very tiny amount every other day. See how that goes for a while and increase very slowly. No need to irritate the skin and cause a breakout by trying to go fast. I use a moisturizer over top or underneath the AHA every day.

EDIT: When I wrote this I was assuming your "scars" are mostly red marks or discoloration. If you're talking about indented scars. those are softened and made to look less obnoxious by the AHA, but it doesn't totally get rid of the true type of scar like that. My indented type scars look less noticeable after the AHA, but some are never going to totally go away under this approach. I'm okay with them though - they're not THAT horrible.

MemberMember
(@nicmic62)

Posted : 04/23/2013 9:46 pm

From my experience what has worked for me are:

1. Tretinoin

2. AHA / Glycolic Acid 10%

3. Hydroquinone

Now, those three will help speed up the process of fading th discoloration and hyperpigmentation, but still you need to give it time. It won't have overnight. Also, they will make your skin more sensitive to the sun, so apply sunblock during the day.

I would suggest, using the Tretinoin to also help fight the acne you still have. You can also the the AHA or Hydroquinone a few times a week at night though. Google them or ask a derm on which ones would work with your type of acne.

MemberMember
(@knitty)

Posted : 04/24/2013 11:33 am

Please note the product Hydroquinone has some significant concerns attached to it.

Read the following: Hydroquinone / Health Issues

http://safecosmetics.org/article.php?id=289

MemberMember
(@oilygirl1980)

Posted : 05/06/2013 2:36 am

I recently learned that exfoliating with baking soda is not good. It made my skin smooth but i started breaking out badly from it. Sorry for posting that. I had just joined and knew nothing compared to what i know now with the help of everyone here.

I now use acv and i really like it. Also, ive started using aloe vera liquid and am impressed with what its done for some of my darker scars.