Shampoo

MemberMember
(@b552299g)

Posted : 04/09/2013 4:06 pm

I was wondering what a good shampoo is for men who don't want something that will break them out. Im using head and shoulder which i started during accutane. I've been off accutane for a few months now, so the dryness is not an issue anymore. It seems all off the shelf shampoos have sodium lauryl sulfate and/or sodium laureth sulfate which are both not the greatest for acne. I'm getting zits on my head under my hair and they are kinda painful.

It's not a huge deal, but just wanted to hear if you guys had any suggestions.

I was wondering what a good shampoo is for men who don't want something that will break them out. Im using head and shoulder which i started during accutane. I've been off accutane for a few months now, so the dryness is not an issue anymore. It seems all off the shelf shampoos have sodium lauryl sulfate and/or sodium laureth sulfate which are both not the greatest for acne. I'm getting zits on my head under my hair and they are kinda painful.

It's not a huge deal, but just wanted to hear if you guys had any suggestions.

MemberMember
(@quetzlcoatl)

Posted : 04/09/2013 8:28 pm

Lauryl is worse, but they are both irritants. I use Jason Tea Tree shampoo, has nice ingredients. Tea tree should help the scalp acne, too.

MemberMember
(@exister)

Posted : 04/09/2013 8:47 pm

1. Dinosaur Jr. rules.

2. I haven't used shampoo in 8-12 months, and my hair looks better than ever. Never would have thought it possible, but here I am.

MemberMember
(@torquemonster)

Posted : 04/10/2013 8:51 pm

I used to have a lot of scalp breakouts too. I got rid of them by using a shampoo with ketoconazole antifungal 2-3 times a week and a sulfate-free paraben-free shampoo on the days in between. You can get ketoconazole shapmpoo 1% strength OTC (Nizoral) or 2% strength prescription (got from dermatologist). I use Burt's Bees sulfate-free paraben-free. Very rare that I get a break out on my scalp now.

MemberMember
(@b552299g)

Posted : 04/15/2013 11:53 am

Thanks for the help!

I'm looking into different sulfate free shampoos. Anyone know of any good ones other than Burt's Bee's and Jason's?

MemberMember
(@oilygirl1980)

Posted : 04/18/2013 12:33 am

I hope im not intruding on a dude conversation but this caught my eye :)

I just started the hunt for natural shampoos as well. I bought Burts Bees pomegranate line and liked it. I used redken religiously before, until i realized i want to make an effort to go more natural. I did start to notice a little bit of build up on my hair but assumed it was a growing pain. Then i read that burts bees was bought by clorox. Not really sure how i feel about that. I guess maybe in my head, i was thinking that the quality of the ingredients would decline since clorox is known for testing on animals and all the other not so great things that go along with being a multi billion dollar company. I then bought desert essence raspberry shampoo and conditioner. Love it. Scalp build up and break outs have gone way down.

I ran out so i used the last of my burts bees, and the build up started coming back. Not terrible, not like it was with my old hair care products, but still....

I think label dissecting is better than worrying about who burts bees is owned by. Glad i researched it. I dont know if the have a bro-friendly version. They have lemon, if youre ok with that. I also tried avalon organics lemon s&c. Fantastic.

Also, try washing your head with a baking soda paste (just baking soda and water). I do this once a month or so and its great for my scalp. Usually the ladies rinse with apple cider vinegar, but i have very oily skin and hair so the "bsv method" doesnt work for me daily. I use a baking soda paste to exfoliate my face as well. That i can do everyday if im gentle and dont scrub.

Hope i helped!

Forgot one thing, i found an awesome site to research cosmetic ingredients and what the bad ones are. Sadly almost all my old fav redken products didnt get great scores. :(

Great informative site though.

http://www.ewg.org/skindeep/