Notifications
Clear all

Do I Need Lasers?

MemberMember
(@howmuchlonger)

Posted : 03/27/2013 2:50 am

although i have gotten my acne under control, i still have marks that have not faded as far back as 3 years. i still get two or three zits during that time of the month, but i have pretty much given up on fixing that. this is incredibly hard for me to post pictures of as i'm sure many here can understand and empathize, but i am terrified to go to a dermatologist. sorry the links are so erratic, i was having trouble uploading from my phone.

http://www.imagebam.com/image/8801ab245704378

MemberMember
(@arsic)

Posted : 03/27/2013 3:00 am

My doctor recommended V-beam for my red marks.

IPL is also another laser used to treat redness.

Many people on here also had success with peels.

For me it was always a mix of Dan's AHA along with an egg white +lemon juice mask that did the trick.

I think you should try topical options first before resorting to lasers. You can save a lot of money and downtime that way.

Don't be afraid to go to a dermatologist. Many of them have free consultations for cosmetic issues!

MemberMember
(@howmuchlonger)

Posted : 03/27/2013 3:07 am

i have been using topicals for about seven months now. :( i use a yogurt+raw honey mask along with 2% sa astringent which i attribute the lack of break outs to. as you can see it is that time of the month for me, and ALL my break outs are (well, mostly) on that one cheek/beginning of jawline. i never break out anywhere else on my face and body and do not understand why. i have tried the usual--being militant about pillow cases, towels etc. but can not figure out why only specific areas are repeatedly affected.

MemberMember
(@damnlife)

Posted : 03/27/2013 8:16 am

My doctor recommended V-beam for my red marks.

IPL is also another laser used to treat redness.

Many people on here also had success with peels.

For me it was always a mix of Dan's AHA along with an egg white +lemon juice mask that did the trick.

I think you should try topical options first before resorting to lasers. You can save a lot of money and downtime that way.

Don't be afraid to go to a dermatologist. Many of them have free consultations for cosmetic issues!

I'm no expert but I can sincerely tell you IPL - Sucks!

MemberMember
(@binga)

Posted : 03/27/2013 9:44 am

Go to a derm asap or you might end up with scarring.

MemberMember
(@andrewbleah)

Posted : 03/27/2013 10:38 am

Go to a derm asap or you might end up with scarring.

Brilliant post.

MemberMember
(@jnc4now)

Posted : 03/27/2013 12:11 pm

You may want to go on Yelp.com to check out the reviews of the dermatologists in your area. Some dermatologists are really nice and they understand how you feel.

MemberMember
(@howmuchlonger)

Posted : 03/27/2013 12:34 pm

well almost ALL of these marks are either small scars or pih........so telling me to either go to a derm or i'll end up with scarring is a little redundant. i want to move beyond the organic topicals, because they do not seem to work for extended periods of time.

i don't know if you guys can tell but in the first picture there are only three active zits. the others are pih/scars. the second picture is entirely pih/scars.

MemberMember
(@jnc4now)

Posted : 03/27/2013 2:59 pm

well almost ALL of these marks are either small scars or pih........so telling me to either go to a derm or i'll end up with scarring is a little redundant. i want to move beyond the organic topicals, because they do not seem to work for extended periods of time.

i don't know if you guys can tell but in the first picture there are only three active zits. the others are pih/scars. the second picture is entirely pih/scars.

I would say if some of them have been on your face for 3 years, you should definitely go see a derm that treats acne scars and do laser treatments.

Please don't take this the wrong way but I have to ask you a question about you feeling terrified seeing a derm.

Which scenario would you choose?

Live your future with the acne marks because you don't see a derm OR go see a derm and get improvement on your marks and enjoy life.

Hope this helps.

MemberMember
(@howmuchlonger)

Posted : 03/27/2013 5:03 pm

okay, i scheduled an appointment with the derm for a week from now. i've noticed that lemon seems to fade newer marks if i use it nightly but i can't tell if it's really fading or if it's just my wishful thinking. sigh.