Notifications
Clear all

What Do You Suggest? (Pics)

MemberMember
(@attekari)

Posted : 03/13/2013 5:22 pm

Hi everyone. I'm a guy and my acne I guess you could say is mild. It's really embarrassing and my acne gives me huge self confidence problems.. I'm looking for makeup that will cover it and not cause me to break out. I'm currently using Almay 16 hour makeup and it covers a little bit, but I think that's just a foundation or something so am I supposed to put something over that? I don't really know a lot about makeup lol. P.S. I'm not interested about hearing how makeup is bad and causes you to break out, but I appreciate your concern.

21mucuc.jpg

Sorry this is kinda gross. And by the way, I am NOT wearing that Almay 16 hour makeup in the pictures!

MemberMember
(@scarred23)

Posted : 03/13/2013 8:50 pm

You have great eyes and eye lashes. Just try using a primer instead of makeup. Almost every makeup company sells it. Try looking at cvs or tinted moisturizers.

MemberMember
(@attekari)

Posted : 03/13/2013 9:21 pm

Okay, thanks so much. I'll check it out! :)

MemberMember
(@bizz)

Posted : 03/14/2013 5:57 pm

Don't be so quick to use make-up. There's a lot of crap in makeup that can make your otherwise decent skin worse. I'd invest my money in something to take care of your skin insead. (There's nothing wrong with your wanting to wear make-up, of course, and you might not have problems with foundation or concealer if your acne isn't severe, but mine is moderate to severe now...and I HATE it. I hate how it feels on my skin. I'd rather take care of the acne than ever wear make-up again but I realize that's easier said than done and I don't know what you're doing now in your skin regimen.

Personally, even on meds and having used every other topical treatment, acne-friendly moisturizer, and astringent other the sun, I'm still going through a stage where everything breaks me out. Be aware that just because horrible companies put "non-comedogenic" on their labels it doesn't mean much.)

Actually that goes for primers too. Watch out for some of these--I think ethylhexyl palmitate and isopropyl myristate are the most common offenders in foundations, but there are more.

http://facerealityacneclinic.com/articles/pore_clogging.php (Unfortunately this list is a little hard to read.) Try to find something that doesn't have comedogenic in the top ingredients--I've accepted all make-up has a few in them. (I just found out even stuff for oily skin like Revlon Colorstay is full of junk like sodium chloride--huge bummer for me. It also looks pretty bad on, but this is the best I can do now--just an example of how even make-up intended to help those with problem skin makes it worse, not better.)

Covergirl makes a decent tinted moisturizer with better coverage (CG Smoothers--but then, I haven't used it in a while, and I was on Accutane when I thought it was nice). They also make Clean Foundation (look for fragrance free). Neutrogena has some foundations I'd look into (SkinClearing Foundation), Almay makes Clear Complexion...those are foundations I'd like to try when I finish with this. If you can spring for something at Sephora, try it, but I'd look up their ingredient lists and product reviews first.

Honestly, I don't even think you need foundation. Just use concealer, a little powder on your shiny areas if necessary (Physicians Formula makes a mineral powder without bismuth oxychloride), and get some good make-up brushes. E.L.F (eyeslipsface--sold online and in Kmarts where I live) makes a great cheap tiny-head concealer brush to cover pimples easily, and I bought a bare escentuals concealer brush for cheap on ebay to apply foundation, but CVS Essence of Beauty sells okay brushes too.

If you go the mineral make-up route, try to find something without bismuth oxychloride. No matter what you try, before you spread a new product all over your face, do a patch test.

MemberMember
(@attekari)

Posted : 03/14/2013 7:52 pm

Thank you so much for your advice. In conclusion I have decided to purchase a concealer and I'm going to continue using my foundation. I'm hoping that the concealer will cover my blemishes more than my foundation does.

I'm on a few different medications for my acne, prescribed by my dermatologist, and my foundation hasn't caused me to break out so far. I've been using it for a month or two. My acne isn't nearly as bad as it used to be but it's still unattractive which is my issue.. I'm trying to get my skin to look as close to flawless as I can get it. :\

Thanks again for the advice, I greatly appreciate it. :)

MemberMember
(@roes797)

Posted : 03/16/2013 12:30 am

Honestly, my acne has completely cleared up and I wear makeup more than 5 days a week! The key is to properly wash it off as soon as you don't need it, deep cleanse and use a toner! I'd say get a concealer, personally I'd reccomend MAC pro longwear concealer and spot conceal, or mix the concealer with a moisturizer on areas where you'd need to cover up pores..

MemberMember
(@emitawolff)

Posted : 03/16/2013 1:03 pm

I really dont think it looks gross .. it is not that bad at all!

I would date you, and yes, without you wearing makeup :)

Indeed you have really nice eyes.

I would keep the makeup at a minimum and just look for a concealer to use if you want to cover particular spots :)

I can reccomend Jane iredale dissapear concealer with green tea extract .. It comes in a little white tube which is not to "girlish and glammy", does not clog pores and it is mineral-makeup, so it can be safe and good for your skin :)

Good luck!

MemberMember
(@dejaclairevoyant)

Posted : 03/16/2013 1:19 pm

To me, that is clear skin. I don't even think you have acne.

MemberMember
(@blottedscience)

Posted : 03/16/2013 4:08 pm

You think that looks gross? Well... I think you look totally amazing. I would love to have skin like that

MemberMember
(@idk111)

Posted : 03/27/2013 6:04 pm

I.... don't really see anything wrong with your skin? What are you trying to cover up? lol

If it makes you feel conscious, I would go for a more natural make up because there is a lot of crud in makeup that can make things worse in the long run.

What are you using to treat your skin with?

But again, to be honest,... you have really good skin, and I wouldn't worry about covering anything up. You look great!

MemberMember
(@lilly75)

Posted : 03/29/2013 3:12 am

You're skin looks really good! If you still want to wear something though, I think wearing something light would be good - so maybe have a look at tinted moisturisers or BB creams. And if you wanted more coverage after that, you could still use a concealer on particular spots if you felt like you needed it.

MemberMember
(@celery)

Posted : 04/01/2013 4:06 pm

I agree with Lilly, as a guy I doubt you want to be caking your face with foundations and all that. Tinted moisturizers and BB creams would be the way to go.

PS your eyes and eye lashes are beautiful, jealous

MemberMember
(@andrewbleah)

Posted : 04/03/2013 9:15 am

If you want minimal coverage go for a powder foundation or mineral make up like bare minerals or MAC powder foundation.

If you still want minimal coverage but don't want to get powder or mineral make up then I reccomend MUFE HD foundation and apply it with a sponge not your fingers or brush.

I just realized how much I know about make up ,anyways I'm also a guy but my skin is way worse than yours.Any option that I prezented is good for a guy , if it's the right shade no one will notice so don't worry about that.

take care.

MemberMember
(@attekari)

Posted : 04/10/2013 3:25 pm

Thanks so much to all of your replies! You've all been super kind and helpful. :) I'm gonna test out some concealers and I'll make a post in the future.tongue.png