Notifications
Clear all

No Monthly Blood Tests With Accutane?

MemberMember
(@ughhhhh)

Posted : 03/13/2013 12:11 pm

So the first two months on accutane I got blood tests, after the 2nd month my Dr said "lets just do the pregnancy test next month since everything came out fine" I said ok, thinking the month after I would get another one. I called my derm yesterday to get a lab slip, and they said thats not their policy. That once all bloodwork looks ok they don't do any more blood tests. I said I've never heard of that with accutane and they said well thats how we do it.

So I called around to 3 other derms I knew would be on my insurance and they all said the same thing basically! One said that they only test when you get bumped up, but otherwise it's not necessary. And one said they only test around month 4 because any risks would be apparent then. How come I can't find a dermatologist that does monthly blood tests! I really need to stay on this medication, but I know there are risks and I want to make sure I'm healthy. WTF am I supposed to do? I feel like no one takes this seriously.

MemberMember
(@katnewby)

Posted : 03/22/2013 4:12 pm

I'd count my lucky stars.

It costs me $200 everytime I get my labs done because my crap insurance won't cover it.

If you want the blood test anyways, I don't see why they would be opposed to giving your a slip for your own peace of mine (it couldn't hurt!).

Have they blatantly told you "No, we won't give you a slip even if you understand our policy and still request one?"

MemberMember
(@ughhhhh)

Posted : 03/22/2013 4:30 pm

I guess I didn't outright ask, it was more "well everything I read said I should get one every month" and they said "well thats not our policy". My next appointment is on Monday, I'm going to be more adamant about it. They've given me shit for most of my time on accutane (no cortisone shots, won't raise my dose because of minor side effects) whereas in the beginning they seemed to really want to help me. I'm sick of looking for a derm that I like though, so I feel like I should just stick it out, even though I'm not seeing results at ALL (end of 4th month).

MemberMember
(@katnewby)

Posted : 03/22/2013 5:20 pm

What is your dose, and height & weight, if you don't mind? I think if you would feel more comfortable taking a blood test monthly, then you should ask for that very directly. I see no reason why they wouldn't agree to it, unless they think it's not "medically necessary" and therefore feel uncomfortable billing your insurance for it. That seems unlikely, though.

MemberMember
(@leelowe1)

Posted : 03/23/2013 5:56 am

Responsible ders WILL test monthly as your levels can change month to month. Call your derm again and insist a script for blood testing. It costs them nothing to give you one either.

MemberMember
(@jess09)

Posted : 03/24/2013 9:22 pm

the derm office i work with does blood every month on males and everyother month on females when u come in for the first time we do a urine for pregnancy 30 days later a blood then every 30 days a new blood test ? ive never heard of not doing blood....

MemberMember
(@ughhhhh)

Posted : 03/25/2013 5:14 pm

They are giving me one this month since I'm being bumped up.

MemberMember
(@lillyrose7)

Posted : 03/26/2013 10:24 am

thats strange because my doctor told me i would need monthly blood testing and blood pressure/weight taken etc every month.But i saw a guy in the waiting room with the worse acne ever i think it was his first time they juet took his blood pressure and weight and i think he started taking it immedietly dont know if its different with guys.

MemberMember
(@darkdragoon)

Posted : 03/28/2013 10:52 pm

I had an initial blood test, and one a month after starting accutance to compare. Everything was fine so I never had to get another one.