Benzoyl Peroxide Wi...

Notifications
Clear all

Benzoyl Peroxide With Moisturizer?

MemberMember
(@jedrury)

Posted : 03/11/2013 5:04 pm

Hi members of acne.org,

I'm hoping someone can help me with some confusion regarding the BP/Moisturizer.

After thinking and some experimentation, I've started to wonder what effect the moisturizer has on the BP. Surely the moisturizer chemicals will react with the BP chemicals.

I've been doing the regimen every night for about a week now, only cleansing and moisturizing in the morning.

I've noticed that most of the 'redness' and 'burning' often reported occurs for me as soon as I put on the moisturizer after the BP dries. I've also noticed that if I simply leave on the benzoyl peroxide with no moisturizer, even for several hours, I won't have any irritation problems at all.

In summary, I've found that, for me, applying moisturizer on top of the BP is the thing that is causing the burning/irritation associated with the regimen. Wouldn't application of the moisturizer render the BP ineffective on the skin? Surely there is some sort of 'dilution' or 'altering' going on..?

Joe.

MemberMember
(@nicmic62)

Posted : 03/11/2013 7:59 pm

Hi members of acne.org,

I'm hoping someone can help me with some confusion regarding the BP/Moisturizer.

After thinking and some experimentation, I've started to wonder what effect the moisturizer has on the BP. Surely the moisturizer chemicals will react with the BP chemicals.

I've been doing the regimen every night for about a week now, only cleansing and moisturizing in the morning.

I've noticed that most of the 'redness' and 'burning' often reported occurs for me as soon as I put on the moisturizer after the BP dries. I've also noticed that if I simply leave on the benzoyl peroxide with no moisturizer, even for several hours, I won't have any irritation problems at all.

In summary, I've found that, for me, applying moisturizer on top of the BP is the thing that is causing the burning/irritation associated with the regimen. Wouldn't application of the moisturizer render the BP ineffective on the skin? Surely there is some sort of 'dilution' or 'altering' going on..?

Joe.

Trust me man! From my experience with the regimen, applying moisturizer is necessary. The redness/burning after putting on the moisturizer will go away after a few weeks. It is just your skin getting used to the BP. The moisturizer is necessary because BP sucks out all the moisture of your skin. I'm on week 8 of the regimen now and I don't have any issues with redness or burning anymore. Just trust the routine! A lot of people have had success with it, so try and follow it to the T.

MemberMember
(@jedrury)

Posted : 03/12/2013 11:15 am

Thanks for your encouraging reply nicmic

I can feel how my skin benefits from moisturizer in the process. However I definetely notice burning and redness immediately after it, on top of the BP. I have read in several places that moisturizer really shouldn't be put on top of BP, but instead allow the BP to work overnight and, then wash off and moisturize. Surely this would be the only way to allow the BP to be fully effective; letting it be the only thing working on your skin.

So would this work?: Cleanse, apply benzoyl peroxide, leave alone overnight. Afterwards, cleanse BP off face and moisturize.

This would use sort of the same principle of the regimen, but would allow the BP to actually work.

I would appriciate any opinions on this.

MemberMember
(@kyle_)

Posted : 03/12/2013 7:18 pm

It wont be the moisturiser, it's more likely the irritation, having to rub your fingers over your skin to apply it, over all ready dry skin from the BP

I know that it's a very important part in the regimen and essential to butting moisture back into the skin.

MemberMember
(@nicmic62)

Posted : 03/12/2013 8:12 pm

Thanks for your encouraging reply nicmic

I can feel how my skin benefits from moisturizer in the process. However I definetely notice burning and redness immediately after it, on top of the BP. I have read in several places that moisturizer really shouldn't be put on top of BP, but instead allow the BP to work overnight and, then wash off and moisturize. Surely this would be the only way to allow the BP to be fully effective; letting it be the only thing working on your skin.

So would this work?: Cleanse, apply benzoyl peroxide, leave alone overnight. Afterwards, cleanse BP off face and moisturize.

This would use sort of the same principle of the regimen, but would allow the BP to actually work.

I would appriciate any opinions on this.

The BP still works even though you put moisturizer afterwards. Just be sure to give the BP 15-20 minutes time to get absorbed by the skin. It might seem like the sensible thing to not moisturize, but in the long run your skin benefits more from putting on moisturizer after BP.

MemberMember
(@kevindreed)

Posted : 03/15/2013 8:28 pm

Yeah you definetly dont want to go without moisturizing. I did this when I first started and it was the worst mistake ever. What will happen is you will get these red circles around your eyes like a raccoon and it will be intense redness and burning pain. GIve it at least 30mins before putting on the moisturizor. And be aware of the moisturizor your using for example Dans Moisturizor has an ingredient that makes my skin burn when I put it on.