Swollen Face From B...

Notifications
Clear all

Swollen Face From Benzoyl Peroxide

MemberMember
(@iliketeaandc)

Posted : 03/11/2013 11:30 am

Hi guys,

I started the regimen 12 days ago, for the first 10 days my skin cleared progressively and nearly all my acne was gone aside a few small whiteheads, and my skin was not that dry, not unbearably so. I was using moisturizer mixed with jojoba oil after applying the benzoyl peroxide. For the first 6 days i only applied benzoyl peroxide once a day and then i upped it to twice a day.

Anyways to the point, I went out on friday night and did the regimen when i got in, however I was quite drunk and forgot to apply any moisturizer afterwards. The next day my face was a lot redder than usual, i continued the regimen that day, morning and night and when i woke up the next day my skin was bright red and very swollen, my forehead and around my eyes were swollen.

So my question is, am I allergic to benzoyl peroxide (i really hope not) or was it to do with not moisturizing and perhaps upping the dose too quicky, I have been slathering a lot of bp on.

Thanks for the help

MemberMember
(@ayeaye)

Posted : 03/11/2013 10:59 pm

It's highly unlikely that you're allergic to BP as you have been comfortably applying it for nearly 2 weeks. A red, and some swelling is a reaction some people have once upping the dose of BP (I know I did).

I would say that you have upped the dose of BP too quickly and recommend that you reduce it back a bit. Try only one pump twice a day for a week, and then up the night time dose to 2 pumps the following week (while keeping your morning application to one pump) and then 2 pumps twice a day the following week after that. If you're finding that your skin is still really red and swollen, don't increase the dose, just keep applying as is for a bit longer.

But the trick with the regimen to get clear is to get to the 2 pumps twice a day dose, so even if your face is red, try to keep increasing. If its swollen, red and very sore then hold back for a while.

Good luck! :)

MemberMember
(@meme11)

Posted : 10/28/2020 4:06 pm

hello, I have a similar problem. I have been using benzoyl peroxide for a few months and i stopped for a month and today when i put it on again this morning after a month my skin swell up and is red. Does that mean that I have developed an allergy to benzoyl peroxide. Please someone help im so worried i took some antihistamine.