Notifications
Clear all

What To Do After The Paleo Diet And Anti Candida Failed You - Here

MemberMember
(@paleoistheanswer)

Posted : 03/06/2013 8:51 pm

this is the result of two years of hard work. I've been through hell finding what works for me but I believe I am finally here

Aright so I've given you guys my story quite a few times now so here's the tl;dr

TL:DR I Fed my carb addiction left over from pre paleo through fruit and starchy tubers without noticing how bad it was, think about how much fruit and sweet potatoes you eat a day if on paleo. probably over 100g of carbs per day via fructose and sweet potatoes. Thats fine with a good gut but wont work if its recovering.

I've had to go pretty strict now, I used to still eat aged cheese (2 years) cheddar almost lactose free, as well as things like tomatoes and onions. Slowly I realized, fruit were messing me up. so I cut those out recently. Then I learned its not just fruit, but I had begun on the right track. It's FODMAPS, which encourage to SIBO. There have been two trends on this board, people getting rid of their acne by going paleo, and a long time, fructose free was a big deal before the paleo wave. No one really seemed to think of combining them except some anti-candida people and they only cut out fruit. the thing is, there are molecules other than fructose which will have the same effect on your stomach.

I have started eating the diet which I have linked My face is much less inflamed than it has ever been. I will admit, this is a bit boring but IT WORKS, and on top of that, I feel really good. Right now I'm really only eating

meat, green beans, carrots, eggplant, some butter cooked with meat, a good amount of coconut oil, and olive oil. maybe once a week ill eat some broccoli and cauliflower for the nutrients even though it sets me back just a tiny bit

. I am glad that I have finally combined my knowledge to cure my acne and am excited to see the results of the rest of the board with this method. I hope that in sharing this with the rest of the people on here who have chronic moderate to sever acne, we may have found the most applicable cure. I await your results, friends.

[Removed]

MemberMember
(@jamiesac)

Posted : 03/07/2013 2:03 am

Actually I have been using the paleodiet until now. And the results are astounding, way better than I would have expected and it doesn't hurt that it is so easy to follow if you have a recipe or a cookbook to guide you through it.

I'm currently following this one if you want to check it out.

[Removed]

MemberMember
(@timpulse)

Posted : 03/07/2013 9:28 pm

I'm currently doing FODMAP's for the month of March. After being paleo for about a year, my skin was at its clearest in December/January, but then I started eating a lot of onions & garlic as a prebiotic source and had a minor setback. Everything's back to normal so far. Haven't been gassy either, which is something else that came back with the onion/garlic. Also had to cut blackberries, but no big deal. I'm feeling good about my diet. Will report back at the end of the month.

You mention broccoli and cauliflower "sets you back".. why not go with leafy greens instead (kale, romaine lettuce, swiss chard, spinach, etc.) "for the nutrients"? They are extremely nutrient dense and fits well within your diet choice.

MemberMember
(@alexisc)

Posted : 03/08/2013 4:29 am

I think FODMAPS is the way to go if paleo and anti-candia don't clear you too.

I cleared myself for a year and half by finding my food intolerances (wheat and corn) but then got food poisoning and after that it all went to crap. Been trying to figure out why my face is breaking out so much and my stomach giving me problems again for the past 6 months and sure enough it is SIBO. Not an easy thing to correct! I have been doing fodmaps for the past week and my stomach has stopped bothering me and my face is already clearing. It's amazing how addicted to fruit you can become without even realizing it too.

So for anyone following this - are you avoiding all fruit? what about all dairy? Some websites say certain fruits are okay, other say none. Same goes with hard cheese etc.

Also - everyone seems conflicted on whether natural sourced probiotics are okay while you have SIBO. Eating probiotic yogurt eases my stomach but I think it contributes to the problem of too much bacteria - even if that bacteria is beneficial.

MemberMember
(@austra)

Posted : 03/08/2013 7:28 am

This is actually ridiculously close to how I've been eating just based on what I thought would be healthy for me. When I follow this (FODMAP?) well and am not having much stress, I usually feel great and my skin looks really healthy and doesn't tend to break out much.

Unfortunately, things like being in a relationship with a vegetarian pasta-loving person has made following this diet 24/7 quite impossible, so that I can't live as healthily as I'd like to, and it does show up in my skin. I still always follow a gluten-free diet, but it's not quite the same. It's unfortunate how social pressure and not wanting to be the difficult person with so many "crazy" diet rules can make following a suitable diet for oneself very impractical.

But yes, based on my experience, this diet does help a lot.

MemberMember
(@paleoistheanswer)

Posted : 03/08/2013 4:47 pm

I'm currently doing FODMAP's for the month of March. After being paleo for about a year, my skin was at its clearest in December/January, but then I started eating a lot of onions & garlic as a prebiotic source and had a minor setback. Everything's back to normal so far. Haven't been gassy either, which is something else that came back with the onion/garlic. Also had to cut blackberries, but no big deal. I'm feeling good about my diet. Will report back at the end of the month.

You mention broccoli and cauliflower "sets you back".. why not go with leafy greens instead (kale, romaine lettuce, swiss chard, spinach, etc.) "for the nutrients"? They are extremely nutrient dense and fits well within your diet choice.

I LOVE KALE I eat it at least thrice a week.

I think FODMAPS is the way to go if paleo and anti-candia don't clear you too.

I cleared myself for a year and half by finding my food intolerances (wheat and corn) but then got food poisoning and after that it all went to crap. Been trying to figure out why my face is breaking out so much and my stomach giving me problems again for the past 6 months and sure enough it is SIBO. Not an easy thing to correct! I have been doing fodmaps for the past week and my stomach has stopped bothering me and my face is already clearing. It's amazing how addicted to fruit you can become without even realizing it too.

So for anyone following this - are you avoiding all fruit? what about all dairy? Some websites say certain fruits are okay, other say none. Same goes with hard cheese etc.

Also - everyone seems conflicted on whether natural sourced probiotics are okay while you have SIBO. Eating probiotic yogurt eases my stomach but I think it contributes to the problem of too much bacteria - even if that bacteria is beneficial.

Good to see FODMAPS is working for someone else too. My body has been treating me differently later and I CAN THINK SO MUCH BETTER NOW THAT I DROPPED CHEESE. Snacking on paleo is hard so just a couple weeks ago I was eating like 3-4 oz of cheddar cheese (aged) a day. Plus too much fruit (blueberries and bananas). Paleo led me to eating tons of onions for "gut health" via prebiotics as well as garlic since I liked it. I have been having burps lately and felt gas coming up my throat, which, as we all know, is "die-off" so I'm pretty happy. I promise to keep you guys updated on how things are going I'm so glad to have finally found the key to fixing paleo.

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________

I answered some ?'s in a pm and figured if one person asked more people may be interested so here is the copypasta

1) Can you eat any vegetables, or do veggies cause you acne as well?

2) Which exact meats do you eat, and are they grass-fed and finished?

3) Do you tolerate dairy fat (i.e. raw cream)?

4) Which animal fat do you tolerate? Have you tried lard?

5) Last but not least, how many tablespoons of coconut oil and olive oil do u consume on a daily basis?

________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

I currently only eat Green beans and carrots! yes it is super boring.

I generally eat grass fed, but I dont think it will kill you to eat regular if you have to. If you do I recommend finding a good Omega 3 supplement (fish source only - I use nordic naturals lemon flavored)

I was eating butter but I found that cutting it out has really reduced my bloating by so much. I was eating cheese some and cut that out as well because I wasn't admitting to myself that it was causing me problems.

Animals love me! all animal fats.

Good question, it varies. At first since coconut oil is anti-microbial you may feel bleh when you eat too much because its gonna kill some bad guys in your stomach. I'd say I use 2 teaspoons each time i eat meat which is twice a day, 1.5 Tsps each time i cook green beans which is twice a day,and generally eat a spoonful or two through out the day if I am hungry. Olive oil I'm weird about. I have no problems with it, but generally at a meal when i dont feel full enough nor do i feel like cooking enough ill just pour some EVOO in a spoon and eat 2- 2.5 tsps. It's good for when you feel lazy. I can tolerate a lot and have never had problems with too much EVOO as far as I know.

hope that helped dont hesitate if you need more help

MemberMember
(@whoartthou1)

Posted : 03/08/2013 5:53 pm

do strawberries or blueberries give you bad acne, or just mild breakouts?

I seem to get pretty depressed if i Just eat animal protein and fat... or is this a die-off symptom?

MemberMember
(@paleoistheanswer)

Posted : 03/08/2013 7:11 pm

do strawberries or blueberries give you bad acne, or just mild breakouts?

I seem to get pretty depressed if i Just eat animal protein and fat... or is this a die-off symptom?

I guess it depends on your body but you should take in a little carbs via green beans and carrots I think. If you ate really carb heavy before your die off will suck so giving your body a little carbs will help, and I've even heard candida can feed of ketones but I've always wondered if that is true. (ketones are produced when you eat little carbs and switch to a different metabolic state, specifically, fat burning)

I dont fux w/ berries currently.

yeah the depression is probably die off, I actually used to have seasonal affectiveness disorder from being so addicted to carbs. When you kill them off, they arent happy, and when they arent happy... you aint gon be at all.

MemberMember
(@paleoistheanswer)

Posted : 03/13/2013 8:45 pm

bump

MemberMember
(@dejaclairevoyant)

Posted : 03/14/2013 5:36 am

It's insane how restrictive that FODMAP thing is. No broccoli? REALLY?

MemberMember
(@paleoistheanswer)

Posted : 03/14/2013 6:02 pm

yeah the SIBO thing is super restrictive. currently I think I have hopefully past the die off peak as i never get cysts and got some shortly after I started, like when I went paleo, and they have been taking awhile to heal, just like when I went paleo. I was constipated but sorry for the TMI, today felt great I finally shit a healthy poop. we'll see what happens from here.

question for everyone

When you went paleo, did your acne get worse at first or stagnate and heal slowly?

MemberMember
(@whoartthou1)

Posted : 03/15/2013 3:45 pm

is goat dairy safe on paleo? I.E. goat milk, goat cheese, goat butter?

MemberMember
(@paleoistheanswer)

Posted : 03/17/2013 12:59 pm

bro you gotta learn to google

MemberMember
(@whoartthou1)

Posted : 03/17/2013 1:30 pm

bro you gotta learn to google

I did google. Some claim it is safe (neolithic paleo) while others claim it is not

MemberMember
(@reneeawen)

Posted : 03/17/2013 6:12 pm

It's insane how restrictive that FODMAP thing is. No broccoli? REALLY?

This made me laugh hard smile.png. And damn! I was just starting to like broccoli again too! No really, it tastes pretty good when it's supper green and fresh.

MemberMember
(@alexisc)

Posted : 03/17/2013 6:17 pm

I think some foods are okay for some people, others or not. My theory is to always listen to your stomach - if it makes weird noises/feels weird/bloats after you eat something best to cut it out for a bit. If it doesn't and it doesn't make you break out then it should be okay to eat that food! The fodmaps diet is restrictive but not forever. And if you are having constant stomach problems like I am it is worth it to know what is going to make your stomach hurt and face break out vs. not knowing.

MemberMember
(@whoartthou1)

Posted : 03/18/2013 12:00 pm

I think some foods are okay for some people, others or not. My theory is to always listen to your stomach - if it makes weird noises/feels weird/bloats after you eat something best to cut it out for a bit. If it doesn't and it doesn't make you break out then it should be okay to eat that food! The fodmaps diet is restrictive but not forever. And if you are having constant stomach problems like I am it is worth it to know what is going to make your stomach hurt and face break out vs. not knowing.

Well, junk food doesnt make stomach feel weird or bloat... but "healthy food" like healthy fats do. What to do?

MemberMember
(@alternativista)

Posted : 03/18/2013 2:25 pm

Well, junk food doesnt make stomach feel weird or bloat... but "healthy food" like healthy fats do. What to do?

And bad fats don't?

Have you tried these things?:

Nutrients that aid fat metabolism:

-Vitamin A -

-B Vitamins, Niacin (B3), B2 (cofactor with vitamin A), B6, B5 (pantothenic acid>pantethine>Co-Enzyme A(CoA)).

-Zinc

-Green tea

-Apple cider vinegar/acetic acid

-Mono-unsaturated fats - olive oil, avocados, etc.

-Lipase digestive enzymes.

-Vitamin D and calcium - search and lots of studies come up, but I haven't had the time to really read and pick something good to link to.

-Bile - http://www.acne.org/...54#entry2655754 . -Taurine is a major component of bile. The body makes this from the other sulfur amino acids cysteine and methionine and other sulfur compounds (so eat your greens, cabbage, onions), but some people may not be making enough and supplementation may help.

Regular, daily low to moderate level physical activity. - stimulates fat metabolizing and burning enzymes. Mimic the kind of activity we were meant to perform as much as possible: Many hours of walking around foraging for food, traveling or doing chores with short bursts of intense physical activity for capturing prey or escaping predators. Walk, cycle, dance, work combined with stairs and/or hills, weights, etc. See the Exercise section for the lists of benefits from these two types of physical activity.

MemberMember
(@whoartthou1)

Posted : 03/18/2013 6:38 pm

And bad fats don't?

>Nutrients that aid fat metabolism:

-Vitamin A -

-B Vitamins, Niacin (B3), B2 (cofactor with vitamin A), B6, B5 (pantothenic acid>pantethine>Co-Enzyme A(CoA)).

-Zinc

-Green tea

-Vitamin D and calcium - search and lots of studies come up, but I haven't had the time to really read and pick something good to link to.

-Bile - http://www.acne.org/...54#entry2655754 . -Taurine is a major component of bile. The body makes this from the other sulfur amino acids cysteine and methionine and other sulfur compounds (so eat your greens, cabbage, onions), but some people may not be making enough and supplementation may help.

Regular, daily low to moderate level physical activity. - stimulates fat metabolizing and burning enzymes. Mimic the kind of activity we were meant to perform as much as possible: Many hours of walking around foraging for food, traveling or doing chores with short bursts of intense physical activity for capturing prey or escaping predators. Walk, cycle, dance, work combined with stairs and/or hills, weights, etc. See the Exercise section for the lists of benefits from these two types of physical activity.

I am taking zinc atm (zinc chelate 35 mg), 5000 iu for vitamin d3, never tried the b vitamins, green tea, or enzymes. Tried everything else.

Junk food does hurt my stomach if I eat it in excess, but not in moderation. If i eat cookies or home-made grains, I feel great, which is weird and ironic since grains are the devil.

What is your opinion on playing tennis as a physical activity? Or is that the improper type of activity?

MemberMember
(@alexisc)

Posted : 03/18/2013 8:41 pm

Grains aren't the devil.. I don't think you should ever exclude one whole food group unless you are intolerant to it. Yes they are hard on the digestive system and can be high GI but they also have important nutrients in them especially if they are traditionally prepared. And cookies and home made grains are not horrible at all... in moderation, like you said.

Some healthy fats break my skin out so I understand how frustrating it is. I just try to eat little portions of them because I know that they are good for me. Healing the body is a slow process, it doesn't happen over night. Fats are also hard to digest if you have low stomach acid so you could try some of the suggestions posted. I know I need to try some of those things too.

MemberMember
(@alternativista)

Posted : 03/18/2013 9:14 pm

And bad fats don't?

-Vitamin A -

-Zinc

-Green tea

I am taking zinc atm (zinc chelate 35 mg), 5000 iu for vitamin d3, never tried the b vitamins, green tea, or enzymes. Tried everything else.

Junk food does hurt my stomach if I eat it in excess, but not in moderation. If i eat cookies or home-made grains, I feel great, which is weird and ironic since grains are the devil.

What is your opinion on playing tennis as a physical activity? Or is that the improper type of activity?

Its good in that it involves lots f short bursts of intense activity. I dont know about any negatives like injury. I can't play any game where you hit a ball with a stick. Except perhaps badminton.

MemberMember
(@whoartthou1)

Posted : 03/18/2013 10:29 pm

if i eat a little = looking like a skinny freak

MemberMember
(@whoartthou1)

Posted : 03/19/2013 12:03 am

And bad fats don't?

-Vitamin A -

-Zinc

-Green tea

ockquote>

Its good in that it involves lots f short bursts of intense activity. I dont know about any negatives like injury. I can't play any game where you hit a ball with a stick. Except perhaps badminton.

What about basketball? I just want to avoid a sport that would increase acne.

MemberMember
(@paleoistheanswer)

Posted : 03/23/2013 12:09 am

guys I just wanted to post an update on how things are going. so far I successfully got through the peak of die and off any my acne and digestion are consistently getting better. will keep you updated. this will work if paleo did not.

MemberMember
(@paleoistheanswer)

Posted : 03/25/2013 6:42 pm

uh guys my acne is clear after two years of struggle why is no one jumping on this like crazy