Notifications
Clear all

Ice Pick Scars... But I Didn't Pick?

MemberMember
(@afwestberry)

Posted : 01/23/2013 3:11 pm

Hi all! So, I've been on birth control for a month & I start taking Clavaris 20 mg. tomorrow. The birth control has actually cleared my skin up a lot, all I'm left with now is a cyst on both my cheek bones (the exact same spot on both sides of my face, so crazy) and a few small pimples around my chin & forehead.

Sounds fine and dandy, right? Accutane should clear me right up- but my biggest issue with my skin now is my scars. I have countless hyper pigmentation marks left behind which is really what makes my face look so bad. My complexion is so light against the red marks, it makes my face look terrible. Almost can't cover the spots with make up! I am thinking of starting to use apple cider vinegar for those, unless it begins to bother my skin while on accutane. But, I am up for suggestions about help with hyperpigmentation! (more desperate for suggestions, actually)

Anyway, about two months ago the spot where the ONE cyst is on either side of my face was home to about 3 or 4 on each side. They were all formed together sort of, like one huge cyst but you could feel where one ended and the other began. GROSS, I know :| But, I've never made a habit of picking at my skin, especially the cysts because it hurts too bad, and it risks permanent scarring.

Now that the majority of my cysts are gone, I've been left with ice pick scars! Is that even possible? I didn't pick, squeeze, anything! The most I did was try and draw all the nasty out with a hot rag, which was actually recommended by my dermatologist.

Anybody else suffering with these nasty, permanent scars without picking?? I'm so confused.

What are my options? Cosmetic surgery? Ugh. The price we pay for good skin :(

Any input is appreciated!

Thanks

A

MemberMember
(@austra)

Posted : 01/23/2013 5:09 pm

I've got scars without picking and despite having very mild acne, so yes it is possible. :/ Although the majority of the ones where I've done "nothing wrong" look much better after a few months. Yours might too. And having just a couple of ice picks is nothing.

Let them heal, try retin-a for example, and if they bother you after a year or so, then look into treatment options like TCA cross or excision. Good luck!

MemberMember
(@boafriend)

Posted : 01/24/2013 5:23 pm

I'm in exact same boat as you....I went through a bad period of time where my face kept forming cysts, and now I have a number of unsightly scars. What's worse is that there are areas where I didn't even have acne or places where I had small pimples and didn't touch at all (only used spot treatment) that have small dents or icepick-like scars now.

People have been saying that sometimes after a few months, some very small scars may heal but I think for the most part, you can try dermastamping or dermarolling...or if you have the financial means, look into laser or subcision, depending on the type of scarring you have.

Also, I clearly know that people have said there is no topical product out there to help physical scarring, but I've been trying two scar serums...Boots' Expert Care Scar Serum and Dr. Max Powers' Intensive Scar Serum. I use the latter after I dermastamp, and it claims to help reduce scar tissue after 1 month and also helps rebuild collagen. *shrugs* I guess it's all worth a try.

But trust me, I know exactly how you feel. I was depressed and talked to my mom about my scarring and she didn't believe that I could have scars if I didn't pick or if I didn't even have acne in those areas. :(