Notifications
Clear all

Rolling Scars + Needles = ?

MemberMember
(@livvie)

Posted : 01/19/2013 10:59 pm

Hey all!!

Got some good lighting for these photos for once. I have this annoying little sucker on camera...the result of a blackhead I went crazy on that left a smallish but ugly rolling scar right on my front cheek. I learned my lesson, but the in the process of doing so have damaged my skin here.

I've tried quite a lot on it. Baking soda exfoliating (did nothing for it). Apple cider vinegar peeling on it seemed to help a bit but I stopped right away when it seemed to be turning it whitish...don't want a white scar there.

I recently bought a dermaroller online and am waiting for it to ship. It is a .5 size and I have heard they are effective on rolling scars after researching. Apparently needling is supposed to be good, but I'm concerned that I may only make it look worse by going to the extreme.

What do ya think? To needle or not to needle? What suggestions do you have for the derma rolling schedule for this scar?

post-196674-0-15195500-1358654353_thumb.

post-196674-0-15195500-1358654353_thumb.

MemberMember
(@nyla)

Posted : 01/20/2013 2:34 am

it looks a lot like mine, except my scars are deeper. honestly, your scarring is extremely mild and i wouldn't recommend sticking needles into your face because it can go away by itself, especially given how mild yours is. i had some shallow rolling scars and they have completely disappeared over the years. but a 0.5 dermaroller should be alright though.. it's good that you didn't buy one of a longer length. good luck and it really isn't that bad at all!

MemberMember
(@livvie)

Posted : 01/20/2013 3:34 pm

Ok, thanks Nyla. I honestly wasn't very comfortable with the idea of self-needling anyway, but the derma roller sounded pretty safe. I'd heard mixed things...some say anything over .2 should be used by only professionals, others say it takes 1.5 to really remove the scars...Soooo I kinda went with what was in between.

Sometimes getting rid of acne scars seems like trying to get rid of a pen mark by using an eraser. Hopefully it will just take time and leave on its own...

MemberMember
(@flowerbud3)

Posted : 01/20/2013 9:58 pm

I've read so many mix things also about negative out comes and positive out comes, in the end it's all about your own judgement. I have seen on youtube where girls would have flawless skin and are rolling with a 0.5-1.0mm derma roller. I highly doubt they are doomed to cause scarring to their flawless looking skin. The only real ways that I see one can cause scarring with a 0.5-1mm would be if they do it improperly or over doing it or not keeping things clean. Also you have to make sure you eat properly and get enough sleep! I think that minor rolling scar you got would respond very well to derma rolling. I also think that, the only reason why people would say their scars have gotten worse even though they followed instructions properly and not over do it is that their scar is actually changing shape. For a scar to change shape, it would have to be a severe scar so I highly doubt your shallow rolling scar will change shape! Good Luck!

MemberMember
(@austra)

Posted : 01/21/2013 8:21 am

How do you manage to get a rolling scar by molesting a blackhead? I thought rolling scars were caused by cysts. But I don't really know since my scarring is different.

Your skin looks really good, and I wouldn't be bothered by that one scar. But dermarolling could help rolling scars, based on my own research about it (however, I don't have personal experience). I would try dermastamping instead of rolling, since you're only treating one scar, and go with 1.0mm needles (or 1.5mm at the maximum). Please read instrunctions carefully. You should be careful about hygiene, since there is always a risk of infection which could cause worse scarring in the very worst-case scenario. Also you should wait around 1-3 months (at least) between dermarolling sessions, to let the skin fully heal. Those people having only 1-week intervals are probably doing much more harm than good to their scarring and skin in general.

If dermarolling doesn't work, you should look into subcision and try to find a doctor who does it. Once again, not my area of expertise, but it's supposed to be an effective treatment for rolling scars.

MemberMember
(@livvie)

Posted : 01/21/2013 1:57 pm

FlowerBud3: I agree, I think that (usually, not always) the people who complain about their derma rolling results have done something improperly, like rolling too often or too aggressively... or, like you said, they shouldn't be rolling in the first place for their type of scars. I eat a very healthy (mostly organic) diet, drink lots of water and try to avoid fruits high in citric acid like strawberries and oranges as these break me out. I also get a good sleep on a regular basis. Thanks for your input.

Austra: Haha, well, after going crazy on a blackhead to the point where you draw blood, you usually end up with a scab. If you mess with it too early, it falls off and tries to form another one. If THAT one comes off before its ready, you end up with what I have...a shallow rolling scar. It does look much better then it used to. It used to be quite red for about 6 months, but it has faded not to just a skin-colored indentation. You can see it better in low lighting or with lights shining above it, so it kind of bothers me. Thank you for telling me that my skin looks great. I guess I just don't feel that way because everyone else in my family has perfect, smooth skin with no irregularities like mine. I don't mind freckles, but it bothers me when I look and the mirror and see those pesky divots.

I do have a few other scars on my face...not as prominent as this one, maybe because they are on the sides of my face...that I am planning on rolling as well. Mosty shallow rolling scars that are darker and a dog bite longer scar by my eye. If the roller doesn't work I guess I could consider stamping.

I've heard everything from "you can roll 3-4 times a week" to "once a week is good" to "no more than monthly" as far as rolling frequency is concerned...I'm thinking a light rolling every two to three weeks with the .5mm? I plan on keeping it clean to prevent infections...a hydrogen peroxide swab of the face is supposed to do that before rolling, but I'm not sure. Seems like it might be harsh on skin with even minor acne.

I also need to look into what kind of serum to use on it, as your skin is supposed to be more able to receive topicals after rolling. Apparently the vitamin A and C serum is good...does anybody know where I can find that, or something like it? Right now I have a bottle of vitamin E oil and was thinking I could use that to moisturize and help erase scars, but not really sure yet.

MemberMember
(@livvie)

Posted : 01/24/2013 6:30 pm

Ah-hah! Derma roller came today!

Sorry I've been a while on this thread...things were at a standstill until now.

Finally. I've been waiting for this moment...and it came with a tiny package from across the world. My .5mm needled friend. Friend/weapon.

I tested it on my arms first. I have white eczema scars around my elbows, so I sanitized them with peroxide, sanitized the roller with rubbing alchohol, and started rolling gently across them. It was a wee bit painful but nothing that bad. Just annoying. I used vitamin E oil for scarring and Neosporin to protect them from infection. They were a little red and dotty looking for about an hour, but then the dots left. I am keeping them covered so they won't get in the sun.

Now I know what to expect when I do my face. I think I ought to do it once every week or once every 2 weeks...which would be best?

And will the vitamin E oil be alright to put on my face after rolling, or should I use something else?

AND...

Should I swab my face with peroxide first? This seems like it might be harsh, but I guess if I don't do it that often then it wouldn't be that bad.

I am so ready to fight these stupid scars. I think I'll start on Sunday night of next week so I can get on a schedule.

Any sugestions?

Thanks!

MemberMember
(@flowerbud3)

Posted : 01/26/2013 3:09 pm

Ah-hah! Derma roller came today!

Sorry I've been a while on this thread...things were at a standstill until now.

Finally. I've been waiting for this moment...and it came with a tiny package from across the world. My .5mm needled friend. Friend/weapon.

I tested it on my arms first. I have white eczema scars around my elbows, so I sanitized them with peroxide, sanitized the roller with rubbing alchohol, and started rolling gently across them. It was a wee bit painful but nothing that bad. Just annoying. I used vitamin E oil for scarring and Neosporin to protect them from infection. They were a little red and dotty looking for about an hour, but then the dots left. I am keeping them covered so they won't get in the sun.

Now I know what to expect when I do my face. I think I ought to do it once every week or once every 2 weeks...which would be best?

And will the vitamin E oil be alright to put on my face after rolling, or should I use something else?

AND...

Should I swab my face with peroxide first? This seems like it might be harsh, but I guess if I don't do it that often then it wouldn't be that bad.

I am so ready to fight these stupid scars. I think I'll start on Sunday night of next week so I can get on a schedule.

Any sugestions?

Thanks!

I believe for a 0.5mm, once every 2 weeks should be fine, it really depends on how aggressive you do it. Also, I do not think you Need to use peroxide on your skin first, just cleanse it well before you stamp! As for the vitamin E, I'm not 100% sure!

Keep us updated with your experience and reactions once you derma stamped! I am very interested to see how it goes!

MemberMember
(@livvie)

Posted : 02/25/2013 9:55 am

Rolling update here!

I am officially on my 5th week of rolling. I roll once weekly with my .5mm disinfected roller.

Up until the past 2 weeks I have rolled extremely lightly...to the point where the next day you'd never even know. I realized that my scars were not changing at all, so I decided to start rolling them firmly and stretching them out at the same time while I roll. I noticed popping sounds coming from them when I did this, and I've heard that's a sign of scar tissue breaking up? 2 longer scars from where I've been attacked by a dog when I was little, and a few teeny-tiny icepick scars and 3 or 4 shallow rolling scars scattered across my face that are sadly a result of picking. I'd love to get rid of them once and for all.

I rolled them hard last night, and now this morning the scarred areas really red! I think I am going to roll harder every 2 weeks instead of every week because I don't want to damage my skin, and it takes time to get that collogen production going.

I was feeling pretty good about my skin until I noticed how apparent they were under the florescent lighting in the restroom...

I'm not sure if this roller is even going to do anything, and I'm getting impatient. I keep telling myself to wait, give it long enough, but ugh...I hate waiting! Sometimes I want to needle them and have it over with! But then I think of possible risks and if something goes wrong, and that keeps me patient haha.

MemberMember
(@freshstart2014)

Posted : 07/21/2013 10:59 am

Any update on your rolling?