Notifications
Clear all

Is This A Nodule? Worth A Cortisone Shot?

MemberMember
(@juanthebusdriver)

Posted : 12/21/2012 8:33 am

So I've had this bad boy for about 3-4 days now. It is reasonably painful ( especially since I train Brazilian Jiu Jitsu and am constantly getting put in chokes which often end up hitting the affected area )

Been trying the ice/neosporin/NSAIDs and had basically no progress. Also tried Bye Bye Blemish 10% sulfur at night and still no progress.

There is no pus in sight as of now, so I assume that means it's a nodule? If so, is it worth getting a cortisone shot for this? I've heard they are somewhat risky.

Thanks in advance amused.gif

post-36581-0-37969600-1356096898_thumb.j

post-36581-0-37969600-1356096898_thumb.j

MemberMember
(@juanthebusdriver)

Posted : 12/21/2012 9:07 am

Also a little bit more information.

It didn't start out like it was going to be big. Usually you can tell that a big one is forming underground before it pops up. This one started off as a small little red bump that was hardly noticable with no forbodoing of it turning into the blob. Then in about two days it went from a small little red bump to what it is now. I'm not sure if this is just something that happens sometimes, or if my training irritated it to the point where it simply inflamed more.

Not sure if that makes any difference, but I figure the more information I provide the more accurate assessment I shall recieve.

Other good news, I'm off training until January due to the holidays. :o)

MemberMember
(@s0633186monmouth-edu)

Posted : 12/21/2012 5:52 pm

that looks more like a cyst than a nodule to me but it's on your neck and it probably really isn't that noticeable to people so I would wait a few more days and see if it goes away on it's own. If it doesn't then go to a dermatologist and see what they suggest.

MemberMember
(@username22)

Posted : 12/21/2012 11:59 pm

if it was me i'd stick it with a pin and drain the oil out. it'll hurt but it'll help. i don't get scars from doing this, but some might, it's your call. my second step is to drown it in 10% BP. put a huge glob on there (so you can't even see the skin) and let it soak in/dry for like 20 minutes. then go back and put another huge glob on and let it dry again for ~20 min. then go to bed. by the morning it should be pretty dried up (keep hitting it with BP) and it will probably start to scab soon after. it'll heal and the scab will fall off in ~3-4 days. i deal with a few of these a week.

MemberMember
(@juanthebusdriver)

Posted : 12/22/2012 9:48 am

that looks more like a cyst than a nodule to me but it's on your neck and it probably really isn't that noticeable to people so I would wait a few more days and see if it goes away on it's own. If it doesn't then go to a dermatologist and see what they suggest.

Yea to my surprise it came to a giant head last night. The kind that was begging to be popped. Popped it and it went smoothly. Significantly reduced in size and pain. Now just putting neosporing on it at night and NSAID to help it heal and tea tree oil during the day.

I think it was my training that made it more inflammed and painful than a usual cyst and that was what had me worried. Thanks guys ^_^

MemberMember
(@s0633186monmouth-edu)

Posted : 12/22/2012 4:40 pm

that's awesome that it came to a head! i don't think any of mine ever have so i'm a little jealous lol.