Notifications
Clear all

Accutane Causing Cystic Acne

MemberMember
(@goraiders)

Posted : 12/16/2012 11:37 pm

Hey,

I've been on accutane (80mg/day) for about 3 months now. Before accutane, I had moderate acne, and the only reason I went on accutane was because it was persistent and nothing else worked. I mostly broke out on my chin and cheeks. Since I have been on accutane (3 months), my acne has gotten really severe and I've been breaking out all over my body and neck with cystic acne. I know that the initial breakout can last a long time, but i can't help thinking that I made a mistake and ruined my skin forever. Is it possible that accutane can permanently make your acne worse instead of helping it?

MemberMember
(@oli-girl)

Posted : 12/16/2012 11:57 pm

Yes, it is possible! Please contact your derm!

MemberMember
(@kasyani)

Posted : 12/17/2012 12:33 am

Hey,

I've been on accutane (80mg/day) for about 3 months now. Before accutane, I had moderate acne, and the only reason I went on accutane was because it was persistent and nothing else worked. I mostly broke out on my chin and cheeks. Since I have been on accutane (3 months), my acne has gotten really severe and I've been breaking out all over my body and neck with cystic acne. I know that the initial breakout can last a long time, but i can't help thinking that I made a mistake and ruined my skin forever. Is it possible that accutane can permanently make your acne worse instead of helping it?

you are probably right in your thinking that accutane has exasperated your acne.I to had the same problem as you when I was prescribed medicine,I had a severe reaction in the form of spots to this medicine but was told that this medicine will cure spots not give you them,what pathetic medical advice,

it turned out that I was highly allergic/intolerant to a chemical ingredient in the tablet causing a massive breakout,on further investigation after completely dissmissing this stupid doctors theory,I discovered the chemical that caused the breakout and further more went on to discover that this chemical is used as food enhancers in foods such as ramen,gravy/tea granules,instant soup/packet mix in flavours etc and this what was giviing me a few spots in the first place,

I have now been spot free for several years

MemberMember
(@seekingadvice)

Posted : 12/21/2012 8:06 pm

I've just started my third month on roaccutane, I thought at first I was gonna be cured by now but I suddenly got cysts appearing just over a month ago. I had to get a steroid shot to reduce the inflamed ones but my dermatologist says my skin is getting better. I don't see it myself, I don't know what the drug has done but I've never had bumps like these before. Does anyone know if roaccutane actually helps reduce these cysts or does it do nothing to them... But I would recommend a steroid shot if they're getting you down.