Notifications
Clear all

Possibly Great Moisturizers...help Me Ingredient Check Them!

MemberMember
(@maximus-decimus-merideous)

Posted : 12/12/2012 11:49 pm

I have been looking for a good new moisturizer, and these two both look VERY promising. Can I get some input from you ingredient buffs out there? rolleyes.gif How do they look?

Elta MD am moisturizer:

Purified Water, Cyclopentasiloxane, Ethylhexyl Isononanoate, Niacinamide, Lauryl PEG-9 Polymethylsiloxyethyl Dimethicone, Salix Alba (Willow) Bark Extract, Piptadenia Colubrina Peel Extract, Sodium Hyaluronate, Glycerin, Dimethicone, Allantoin, Caffeine, Ascorbyl Palmitate, Dimethicone/PEG-10/15 Crosspolymer, Sodium Chloride, Butylene Glycol, Phenoxyethanol, Capryloyl Glycine, Undecylenoyl Glycine, Disodium EDTA, Sodium Hydroxide.

Elta MD pm moisturizer:

Purified Water, Ethylhexyl Isononanoate, Niacinamide, Glyceryl Stearate, PEG-100 Stearate, Hydroxyethyl Acrylate/ Sodium Acryloyl Dimethyl Taurate Copolymer, Hydrolyzed Rice Protein, Linoleic Acid, 1-3-Bis (N-2-(Hydroxyethyl) Palmitoylamino) -2- Hydroxy Propane, C10-30 Cholesterol/Lanosterol Esters, Sodium Hyaluronate, Glycereth-26, Cetearyl Glucoside, Thioctic Acid, Distearyldimonium Chloride, Tocopheryl Acetate, Xanthan Gum, Oleth-3 Phosphate, Butylene Glycol, Phenoxyethanol, Iodopropynyl Butylcarbamate, Disodium EDTA, Sodium Bisulfite, Sodium Hydroxide.

MemberMember
(@michelle-reece)

Posted : 12/13/2012 3:43 am

I have been looking for a good new moisturizer, and these two both look VERY promising. Can I get some input from you ingredient buffs out there? rolleyes.gif How do they look?

Elta MD am moisturizer:

Purified Water, Cyclopentasiloxane, Ethylhexyl Isononanoate, Niacinamide, Lauryl PEG-9 Polymethylsiloxyethyl Dimethicone, Salix Alba (Willow) Bark Extract, Piptadenia Colubrina Peel Extract, Sodium Hyaluronate, Glycerin, Dimethicone, Allantoin, Caffeine, Ascorbyl Palmitate, Dimethicone/PEG-10/15 Crosspolymer, Sodium Chloride, Butylene Glycol, Phenoxyethanol, Capryloyl Glycine, Undecylenoyl Glycine, Disodium EDTA, Sodium Hydroxide.

Elta MD pm moisturizer:

Purified Water, Ethylhexyl Isononanoate, Niacinamide, Glyceryl Stearate, PEG-100 Stearate, Hydroxyethyl Acrylate/ Sodium Acryloyl Dimethyl Taurate Copolymer, Hydrolyzed Rice Protein, Linoleic Acid, 1-3-Bis (N-2-(Hydroxyethyl) Palmitoylamino) -2- Hydroxy Propane, C10-30 Cholesterol/Lanosterol Esters, Sodium Hyaluronate, Glycereth-26, Cetearyl Glucoside, Thioctic Acid, Distearyldimonium Chloride, Tocopheryl Acetate, Xanthan Gum, Oleth-3 Phosphate, Butylene Glycol, Phenoxyethanol, Iodopropynyl Butylcarbamate, Disodium EDTA, Sodium Bisulfite, Sodium Hydroxide.

Both of them are very good, particularly the niacinamide in them -- I just wish they listed the concentrations. If I remember correctly niacinamide is typically in concentrations of around 4% from talking to my derm a while back, but it'd be a good idea to ask the company how much is in the products.

The main difference between the two moisturizers is the AM version has more humectants, while the PM version has more emollients (skin-softeners).

MemberMember
(@lacydecay)

Posted : 12/13/2012 5:27 am

Hmm, that's a lot of unpronounceable chemicals there ! I'm not sure on all the ingredients but there's a few that's on the list of things to avoid/harmful chemicals.

Sodium Hydroxide is classed as a strong skin irritant, so I'd consider that before you buy it :) It should be ok if you don't have sensitive skin though.

personally I think natural products are best but if that's not your thing then I'd go ahead and give that moisturiser a try.

MemberMember

Posted : 12/13/2012 10:15 am

Thanks for your input guys! Yeah fortunately the sodium hydroxide is last ingredient listed, which means there is a tiny percentage (plus, my skin is very acne prone but not sensitive thankfully)

Those products didn't have any of the "red flag" ingredients that I know of, and i'm glad you don't see any either! I'll give them a try and update this thread in a few weeks (if I remember teehee.gif )

Thanks Michelle, I appreciate you pointing out the difference between the two :). I'll send the company an email asking about the concentration of niacinamide.

MemberMember
(@michelle-reece)

Posted : 12/13/2012 7:23 pm

Thanks for your input guys! Yeah fortunately the sodium hydroxide is last ingredient listed, which means there is a tiny percentage (plus, my skin is very acne prone but not sensitive thankfully)

Those products didn't have any of the "red flag" ingredients that I know of, and i'm glad you don't see any either! I'll give them a try and update this thread in a few weeks (if I remember teehee.gif )

Thanks Michelle, I appreciate you pointing out the difference between the two smile.png. I'll send the company an email asking about the concentration of niacinamide.

You're welcome! 🙂

Sodium hydroxide is used in very tiny amounts as a pH adjuster in skin care products. Skin care products with sodium hydroxide are unlikely to cause irritation -- sodium hydroxide-induced irritations typically happen in household cleaning products or industrial detergents.

For niacinamide in skin care products, 5% is the best concentration, although 4% is fine.

MemberMember

Posted : 12/28/2012 12:18 am

Been using them since I posted this...so far so good rolleyes.gif Think I found my new moisturizers! I also use Elta MD's Clear spf 46 suncreen...that is really good also