Notifications
Clear all

How Can Lemon Help The Skin?

MemberMember
(@flowerbud3)

Posted : 11/06/2012 7:21 pm

How exactly can lemon juice help the skin? I need help understanding how it works. Does leaving it on the skin to dry, "exfoliate" the skin? I thought physically rubbing the died skin off is exfoliating.

MemberMember
(@flowerbud3)

Posted : 11/07/2012 9:03 pm

Does anyone know? How exactly does Lemon juice help the skin? Bump!

MemberMember
(@armadillo)

Posted : 11/08/2012 11:34 am

Lemon juice contains two main substances that can help your skin: citric acid, which is an alpha hydroxy acid. AHAs for short, they exfoliate, even out your skin tone and lighten marks, they help reduce the appearance of scars and hyperpigmentation. Vitamin C, or ascorbic acid, is an antioxidant, does pretty much the same things as citric acid, except the exfoliation parts.

No rubbing is necessary to exfoliate with lemon juice. It just dissolves the dead skin cells. Leave it on your skin for at least an hour.

MemberMember
(@flowerbud3)

Posted : 11/09/2012 9:22 pm

Lemon juice contains two main substances that can help your skin: citric acid, which is an alpha hydroxy acid. AHAs for short, they exfoliate, even out your skin tone and lighten marks, they help reduce the appearance of scars and hyperpigmentation. Vitamin C, or ascorbic acid, is an antioxidant, does pretty much the same things as citric acid, except the exfoliation parts.

No rubbing is necessary to exfoliate with lemon juice. It just dissolves the dead skin cells. Leave it on your skin for at least an hour.

Thank you so much for replying! I was wondering though, could I cut one in half and only use one half and save the other half in the refrigerator? Like I won't be able to use the whole lemon at once. Will saving it in the frige while its opened (cut in half) make it lose it's effectiveness? If so how long until it becomes useless?

Also, would you recommend me to dilute the juice a bit before use? If so, what is a recommended ratio?

MemberMember
(@armadillo)

Posted : 11/10/2012 11:43 am

Thank you so much for replying! I was wondering though, could I cut one in half and only use one half and save the other half in the refrigerator? Like I won't be able to use the whole lemon at once. Will saving it in the frige while its opened (cut in half) make it lose it's effectiveness? If so how long until it becomes useless?

Also, would you recommend me to dilute the juice a bit before use? If so, what is a recommended ratio?

Your are better off buying pure lemon juice in a bottle. No, it won't lose its effectiveness once you cut it in half, but you can't get a lot of juice out of one lemon. You could dilute it if your skin is sensitive, maybe 3 parts of lemon juice to 1 part of water.

MemberMember
(@clear-as-mud)

Posted : 11/10/2012 5:42 pm

Your are better off buying pure lemon juice in a bottle. No, it won't lose its effectiveness once you cut it in half, but you can't get a lot of juice out of one lemon. You could dilute it if your skin is sensitive, maybe 3 parts of lemon juice to 1 part of water.

If you do buy lemon juice in a bottle just make sure its JUST lemon and doesn't have any sulphites or anything.

MemberMember
(@williamrickard)

Posted : 11/11/2012 10:18 am

Yeh i guess Lemon juice is fairly natural, it is drying, may work out from time to time as an extra if you have a large spot, give it a go

MemberMember
(@flowerbud3)

Posted : 11/15/2012 9:18 pm

Ok so I just used lemon juice for the first time without diluting it and here is my experience: It actually stings and feels like its burning, It makes some areas of my skin red and I have left it on for 30 minutes until it dried. When it was getting close to drying, the burning stopped and I couldn't feel it anymore.

I have a question: How easy does lemon juice come off the skin when it is dried? Like, will it all come off if I just used the shower head to splash cold water on it without using my fingers? Or do I have to use my fingers and scrub it for it to all come off? Is it easy to come off? Thanks.

EDIT: I forgot to add that I am using lemon juice purely for the purpose of getting rid of old dark spots/ hyperpigmentation from acne and very very light acne scarring. I do not/ very rarely get acne on my face anymore. (But still do on my body :[)