Notifications
Clear all

Antibiotics On Accutane For Ingrown Toenail

MemberMember
(@spidermanforever)

Posted : 10/14/2012 10:57 am

I have an infected ingrown toenail and i think i might need antibiotics to help clear the infection; i am currently taking accutane and was wondering if it is okay to take antiobiotics at the same time (roughly for about a week)?

MemberMember
(@leelowe1)

Posted : 10/14/2012 12:13 pm

Call your derm - i think there may be an interaction if they are taken at the same time of the day but i'm not sure. If you have to stop accutane for a few days though, it shouldn't make a huge difference.

MemberMember
(@start)

Posted : 10/14/2012 5:33 pm

Antibiotics are a big NO while on accutane!!!

MemberMember
(@pugrocker)

Posted : 10/14/2012 5:46 pm

I found this on web md using Doxycycline as the antibiotic., Using doxycycline together with ISOtretinoin is not recommended. Combining these medications may increase the risk of a rare but potentially serious condition caused by increased pressure in the brain. You should seek immediate medical attention if you develop early signs and symptoms of the condition such as headache, nausea, vomiting, and visual disturbances during treatment with either medication. It is important to tell your doctor about all other medications you use, including vitamins and herbs. Do not stop using any medications without first talking to your doctor.

MemberMember
(@cleardreaming)

Posted : 10/14/2012 6:28 pm

No cycline antibiotics are 'allowed' but you could take one from a different family, like a mycine antibiotic. Either way your Dr should know if you tell them you are taking accutane.

MemberMember
(@spidermanforever)

Posted : 10/15/2012 4:48 am

Hey guys, thought i would give you an update! I went to the doctor and he said that it seems okay and that it should hopefully start healing on its own and that if it gets worse to come back and get antibiotics. For now I was told to keep it dry and continue putting antiseptic cream on it.I thought it was okay to take antibiotics on accutane providing that they were not tetracyclines.....However I hope my toe gets better real soon!

MemberMember
(@spidermanforever)

Posted : 10/21/2012 5:03 am

Hey on Friday I noticed alot of puss coming from the side of my toe and it was bleeding so I went to the GP and was given anitibiotics to take for a week. The doctor said it was okay to take flucloxacillin even though i'm on accutane. I was wondering if by taking these antibiotics will this have any effect on my monthly blood test results? It's just that i'm having great results thus far with accutane and would hate to be taken off it before completing my whole 2nd course. Thanks

MemberMember
(@spidermanforever)

Posted : 10/23/2012 6:34 am

anyone?

MemberMember
(@lionfish)

Posted : 10/23/2012 3:33 pm

Antibiotics are a big NO while on accutane!!!

Well it depends...

Of course it is best to ask the doctor or pharmacist really....... but my understanding is the same as one of the previous posters has mentioned : certain antibiotics combined with accutane can increase the risk of some rare but dangerous side effects.

That doesn't mean all antibiotics are ruled out by any means, if you have an infection that isn't clearing up naturally then there isn't a whole lot of choice, you need to take the antibiotics. The blood tests are usually looking at liver function and cholesterol etc. I can't see the antibiotic would have any interations with that.