Notifications
Clear all

Necon To Yasmin A Bad Idea?

MemberMember
(@myjourneytohappiness)

Posted : 10/07/2012 4:30 pm

Hi there,

I am currently taking Necon 1/35 for birth control, but I am interested in Yasmin because it gets great reviews for acne treatment. My acne is pretty bad and I am looking for any remedy to make it better. I really want to fight this and be happy again.

Would switching BCPs be a good idea? I am currently on Solodyn for antibiotic treatment of my acne. I just started on Friday. I had taken OTC Lo for a few months earlier this year, but did not see any results for my acne (it made it worse).

Thanks for any help you can provide!

MemberMember
(@clambak3)

Posted : 10/07/2012 5:25 pm

Have you not heard all of the health scares caused by Yazmin?? My gynecologist already told me flat out that she would never prescribe that because of all the bad stuff associated with it.

People are having strokes and serious blood clots.. Talk to your doctor and have them help you choose which one is best for you.

MemberMember
(@green-gables)

Posted : 10/07/2012 7:24 pm

Hi there,

I am currently taking Necon 1/35 for birth control, but I am interested in Yasmin because it gets great reviews for acne treatment. My acne is pretty bad and I am looking for any remedy to make it better. I really want to fight this and be happy again.

Would switching BCPs be a good idea? I am currently on Solodyn for antibiotic treatment of my acne. I just started on Friday. I had taken OTC Lo for a few months earlier this year, but did not see any results for my acne (it made it worse).

Birth controls that have actually been studied and shown to be effective in hormonal acne:

Ortho Tri Cyclen

Yaz/Yasmin

Dianette/Diane 35 (Only Canada/UK)

Orthocept

All BCP comes with a blood clot risk, but Yaz/Yasmin comes with an added blood clot risk because of the type of synthetic progestin used. You must be absolutely sure that you have no family blood clot history and you need to follow up regularly with your doctor.

Drospirenone is one of the types of progestin found in the pill. It is a different type of progestin. Drospirenone can restrain the secretion of hormones that regulate the body's water and electrolytes. It may also cause potassium levels to rise and/or have interactions with other drugs that increase potassium.

Drospirenone-containing combination oral contraceptives include Yaz (generics Gianvi and Loryna), Yasmin (generics Ocella, Syeda and Zarah), Beyaz, and Safyral. For women who choose to use the pill for birth control, in addition to prevention of pregnancy, Yaz and Beyaz have been approved to treat symptoms of premenstrual dysphoric disorder (PMDD) and to treat moderate acne while Beyaz is also approved to raise folate levels.

Though all birth control pills pose a risk of blood clots, there has been concern that birth control pills containing drospirenone have a higher blood clot risk than birth control pills that contain other progestins. Blood clots that form in a deep vein in the body are called deep vein thrombosis (DVT). DVT is a rare birth control pill side effect and could block blood flow. A pulmonary embolism can then occur if a blood clot breaks loose from the vein and moves through the body into the lung. This can lead to death.

All birth controls contain a type of synthetic progestin. Necon 1/35 contains norethindrone. Norethindrone has been shown to increase acne. You will find that most mini-pills or "Lo" birth controls like Necon have a type of progestin that increases acne.

Progestins that minimize acne are:

Drospirenone (Yaz, BeYaz, Safyral)

Desogestrel (Orthocept, Mircette, Apri-28)

Ethynodiol diacetate (Demulen, Zovia)

Cyproteone acetate (Dianette, Diane-35)

Progestins that are acne neutral:

Norgestimate (Ortho Tri Cyclen, Ortho Tri Cyclen Lo)

Progestins that create acne:

Norgestrel (Ovral)

Norethindron (Necon, Errin, Ortho-Novum)

Levonorgestre (Alesse, Plan B, Mirena, Triquilar)

MemberMember
(@myjourneytohappiness)

Posted : 10/07/2012 7:29 pm

Hi there,

Birth controls that have actually been studied and shown to be effective in hormonal acne:

Ortho Tri Cyclen

Yaz/Yasmin

Dianette/Diane 35 (Only Canada/UK)

Orthocept

All BCP comes with a blood clot risk, but Yaz/Yasmin comes with an added blood clot risk because of the type of synthetic progestin used. You must be absolutely sure that you have no family blood clot history and you need to follow up regularly with your doctor.

Drospirenone is one of the types of progestin found in the pill. It is a different type of progestin. Drospirenone can restrain the secretion of hormones that regulate the body's water and electrolytes. It may also cause potassium levels to rise and/or have interactions with other drugs that increase potassium.

Drospirenone-containing combination oral contraceptives include Yaz (generics Gianvi and Loryna), Yasmin (generics Ocella, Syeda and Zarah), Beyaz, and Safyral. For women who choose to use the pill for birth control, in addition to prevention of pregnancy, Yaz and Beyaz have been approved to treat symptoms of premenstrual dysphoric disorder (PMDD) and to treat moderate acne while Beyaz is also approved to raise folate levels.

Though all birth control pills pose a risk of blood clots, there has been concern that birth control pills containing drospirenone have a higher blood clot risk than birth control pills that contain other progestins. Blood clots that form in a deep vein in the body are called deep vein thrombosis (DVT). DVT is a rare birth control pill side effect and could block blood flow. A pulmonary embolism can then occur if a blood clot breaks loose from the vein and moves through the body into the lung. This can lead to death.

All birth controls contain a type of synthetic progestin. Necon 1/35 contains norethindrone. Norethindrone has been shown to increase acne. You will find that most mini-pills or "Lo" birth controls like Necon have a type of progestin that increases acne.

Progestins that minimize acne are:

Drospirenone (Yaz, BeYaz, Safyral)

Desogestrel (Orthocept, Mircette, Apri-28)

Ethynodiol diacetate (Demulen, Zovia)

Cyproteone acetate (Dianette, Diane-35)

Progestins that are acne neutral:

Norgestimate (Ortho Tri Cyclen, Ortho Tri Cyclen Lo)

Progestins that create acne:

Norgestrel (Ovral)

Norethindron (Necon, Errin, Ortho-Novum)

Levonorgestre (Alesse, Plan B, Mirena, Triquilar)

🙁 this is really unfortunate news. I have emailed my doctor asking what I should do about this, as I've already been on OTC. I have spent a lot of the night really upset and depressed over my acne. I am not sure what I am doing wrong, as it's never been this bad, ever, but nothing has changed besides an insane amount of stress (the likely culprit). I will see what my doctor says and hopefully get put on something that can help.

🙁

MemberMember
(@pocketfulofsunshine)

Posted : 10/07/2012 11:03 pm

I wouldn't completely rule out Yaz. All birth control pills do carry a risk of blood clots and are still prescribed regularly despite that because the risk is still minimal if you're healthy. The NuvaRing and the Ortho Evra patch also have an increased risk of blood clots because the hormones they contain must be absorbed through the skin instead of taken orally. The main issue with Yaz and all of the lawsuits is that they were unaware that those pills had a slightly higher risk associated with them when they were first prescribed. The main issue was not that there was a slightly higher risk, but that it was an UNADVERTISED risk. If you talk to your doctor about it, I'm sure he/she will have more information. Some doctors will refuse to prescribe it, I'm sure, but I've encountered doctors who refused to prescribe many medications for various reasons--the birth control shot because of unnecessary weight gain, spironolactone because they'd never prescribed it before, etc. If you can find a knowledgeable doctor (or 2 or 3 to get a better perspective), I'd say it's worth a shot. I know a few people who swear by it and I'm actually looking into it for my next pill. You can stop taking the pill whenever you'd like, so if you start feeling like it's not right for you, you can always quit taking it! Just make sure you're exercising regularly and drinking enough water!