Notifications
Clear all

Spiro Does Not Kill Acne It Prevents It

MemberMember
(@green-gables)

Posted : 10/06/2012 2:42 am

I just realized this should be made clear:

Spiro does not KILL acne or wipe out a cyst or anything like that. It doesn't do anything to an existing lesion. What it does is create harmonious hormonal state that prevents new acne from forming.

It can take MONTHS to see "clear skin" from spironolactone because spironolactone is PREVENTATIVE. All of your existing pimples, whether they are on the surface or deep underground, will have to resolve on their own. After that happens, you'll be able to see the new clear skin that spiro has been protecting.

Think of it like vitamin C. Taking vitamin C when you already have a runny nose and a cough isn't going to get you better much faster. You're already sick, and the sickness is going to run its course. But if you take vitamin C regularly you may not get the cough again later on.

When I went on spiro, I cut out topicals and such because I wanted proof that spiro was working on its own. But if you have more faith than I did, and just want to resolve your acne as much as possible until the spiro really kicks in, please go ahead and use BP or salicylic acid or whatever else you think will help.