Notifications
Clear all

I Was Prescribed Duac Once Daily A Couple Of Days Ago...

MemberMember
(@owain1122)

Posted : 10/06/2012 9:28 am

I started oral antibiotics; Tetralysal 300 (lymecycline) about a month ago and it was helping my acne. Before this I had sufficiently removed much of my once very severe acne through using sudocrem. I went back to my doctor to pick up a new batch of antibiotics and he was at a loss as to why my previous doctor hadn't given me a topical gel to use while on the antibiotics. He gave me Duac once daily and after a few days I can say that this is the best acne cream I have ever used! It has reduced some pretty big inflamed spots and has faded some of my PIH! Has anyone else used this?

MemberMember
(@armadillo)

Posted : 10/06/2012 9:35 am

I have used this, it did nothing for my existing acne, but it did stop a lot of breakouts. I used it for 2 years on and off, before my skin became resistant to the clymadicin [the antibiotic] in the cream

MemberMember
(@gecko333)

Posted : 10/06/2012 9:50 am

I started oral antibiotics; Tetralysal 300 (lymecycline) about a month ago and it was helping my acne. Before this I had sufficiently removed much of my once very severe acne through using sudocrem. I went back to my doctor to pick up a new batch of antibiotics and he was at a loss as to why my previous doctor hadn't given me a topical gel to use while on the antibiotics. He gave me Duac once daily and after a few days I can say that this is the best acne cream I have ever used! It has reduced some pretty big inflamed spots and has faded some of my PIH! Has anyone else used this?

I used it a few years ago, it took about 4 months to work but it cleared my skin up better than anything, I went from severe acne to flawless skin with this miracle cream, unfortunately though, after a year it stopped working, either my skin adapted to the antibiotic, or it just got even more severe so that Duac no longer was enough (more likely).

I'm surprised you're on an oral antibiotic aswell though, Duac is an antibiotic cream itself, surely being on two antibiotics is not a good idea?

Besides. Tetralysal is never a cure, as soon as you stop taking it, it will 100% come back, probably worse, and that stuff really fucks up your body. It gave me the worst migranes I have ever had in my life, made me nauseous and made me lose 14 pounds. And for nothing.

But if it's working for you, then that's all that matters.

But I really am surprised a medical professional put you on two antibiotics, really shows the poor quality of GPs in some parts of the UK.

MemberMember
(@owain1122)

Posted : 10/06/2012 9:57 am

I used it a few years ago, it took about 4 months to work but it cleared my skin up better than anything, I went from severe acne to flawless skin with this miracle cream, unfortunately though, after a year it stopped working, either my skin adapted to the antibiotic, or it just got even more severe so that Duac no longer was enough (more likely).

I'm surprised you're on an oral antibiotic aswell though, Duac is an antibiotic cream itself, surely being on two antibiotics is not a good idea?

Besides. Tetralysal is never a cure, as soon as you stop taking it, it will 100% come back, probably worse, and that stuff really fucks up your body. It gave me the worst migranes I have ever had in my life, made me nauseous and made me lose 14 pounds. And for nothing.

But I really am surprised a medical professional put you on two antibiotics, really shows the poor quality of GPs in some parts of the UK.

yeah but the duac only treats the bacteria on the skin, not internally. The antibiotics obviously treat the bacteria within your system. It seems like a lot of people in America use anti bacterial creams and antibiotics at the same time too.

MemberMember
(@gecko333)

Posted : 10/07/2012 3:32 am

I would

yeah but the duac only treats the bacteria on the skin, not internally. The antibiotics obviously treat the bacteria within your system. It seems like a lot of people in America use anti bacterial creams and antibiotics at the same time too.

Acne isn't caused by any bacteria internally, it's caused by bacteria on your skin, which can be treated either by topicals or orals, personally I'd be dubious about using Oral Antibiotics, I think you'll struggle to find someone on here who has had their skin cured by them, although they do work fast, so can help minimise any 'initial breakout' / speed the Duac process up, but I wouldn't stay on them any longer than 3/4 months.

MemberMember
(@owain1122)

Posted : 10/07/2012 4:10 am

I would

Acne isn't caused by any bacteria internally, it's caused by bacteria on your skin, which can be treated either by topicals or orals, personally I'd be dubious about using Oral Antibiotics, I think you'll struggle to find someone on here who has had their skin cured by them, although they do work fast, so can help minimise any 'initial breakout' / speed the Duac process up, but I wouldn't stay on them any longer than 3/4 months.

Yeah my doctor is going for 4 months at the max. My acne was already starting to clear up before I went on antibiotics so hopefully it won't come back or I can control it with Duac.

MemberMember
(@lilly75)

Posted : 10/07/2012 4:14 am

I used Duac and doxycycline for about 3 months a few years ago. When my doxy prescription finished I kept using duac for a while longer by itself and them started on bactrim for about 3 or 4 months. Once that prescription ran out and I finished the last duac prescription I switched to an over the counter BP cream just because it was more affordable. Of course once I stopped the oral antibiotics my acne returned - but because I kept using duac then just BP the acne was kept a little more under control.

I don't think there is anything wrong with using a topical antibiotic at the same time to an oral antibiotic - they work in different ways. I don't recommend long term oral antibiotic use though. I didn't take mine that long really but I personally wouldn't want to take them for a longer amount of time and I probably wont go back to them either.

I did find that Duac worked pretty well. Glad you're finding it to work well for you :)

MemberMember
(@owain1122)

Posted : 10/12/2012 1:21 pm

I'm about 1 1/4 months in to my antibiotic treatment and about a week and a bit in to my Duac treatment. This stuff is incredible. Over the last week it's faded a lot of PIH and the spots I had are nearly gone!

MemberMember
(@imsoglad)

Posted : 08/04/2013 3:28 pm

Well I feel like I'm the only one who doesn't love this stuff... I went to the doctor and got very excited when I was given this (I thought maybe my struggle with acne would come to an end!) but it was TERRIBLE! It actually made my skin worse, no joke. I used it for two weeks as directed and I just kept waking up every morning with a new spot and it felt awful.

Thank goodness I'm on the acne.org regimen now which seems to be working really well!

MemberMember
(@maskedone)

Posted : 08/05/2013 6:37 am

I've been using it since last year. When I first started, it was a miracle cream. I would start to get a cyst, and dab just a bit of Duac on the spot and the next day -- boom! Gone! Now.... it does absolutely nothing. I, too, think it may have made my acne worse. I've heard people can become resistant to it... I was just hoping I wasn't one of them :(

If it's working for you, use it!

MemberMember
(@goshdammit)

Posted : 08/09/2013 7:03 pm

I'm kinda worried now... Was just prescribed this (Duac) two days ago and finally my order came today !... Was super excited with the amount of great reviews until I read the symptoms such as redness, itching, excessive dryness, peeling etc that come with this which is understandable considering its BP.... But I haven't used BP for a few years and since college is starting, I don't want to have to go to school with freaky skin or worse break outs...

May I ask what moisturizers (if any) ya'll used to combat these symptoms if ya'll suffered them ?.

Coz I'd rather have something to fix the side effects during the day before I start applying this at night....

MemberMember
(@hasmas)

Posted : 08/11/2013 5:53 pm

I'm kinda worried now... Was just prescribed this (Duac) two days ago and finally my order came today !... Was super excited with the amount of great reviews until I read the symptoms such as redness, itching, excessive dryness, peeling etc that come with this which is understandable considering its BP.... But I haven't used BP for a few years and since college is starting, I don't want to have to go to school with freaky skin or worse break outs...

May I ask what moisturizers (if any) ya'll used to combat these symptoms if ya'll suffered them ?.

Coz I'd rather have something to fix the side effects during the day before I start applying this at night....

When I first started Duac the first weeks it really started to itch like crazy I mean It was hard to sleep :( But after some weeks my skin started to adapt to it and it was pretty awesome cleared up some of my cysts :) I also took it with Oral Antibiotics Tetralysal

MemberMember
(@goshdammit)

Posted : 08/11/2013 6:16 pm

When I first started Duac the first weeks it really started to itch like crazy I mean It was hard to sleep :( But after some weeks my skin started to adapt to it and it was pretty awesome cleared up some of my cysts :) I also took it with Oral Antibiotics Tetralysal

OMG I just put it on a few hours ago and it started to itch like hell !! Like little bumps and redness !!!!!! Couldn't stand it after awhile and washed it all off!!!.... So much for understanding the side affects.....

Are you sure?.... I mean did u get any bumps... Not exactly like pimples... But I dunno more like insect bites !!...?..

I really want to get rid of my acne... :(

MemberMember
(@hasmas)

Posted : 08/12/2013 9:27 am

When I first started Duac the first weeks it really started to itch like crazy I mean It was hard to sleep sad.png But after some weeks my skin started to adapt to it and it was pretty awesome cleared up some of my cysts smile.png I also took it with Oral Antibiotics Tetralysal

OMG I just put it on a few hours ago and it started to itch like hell !! Like little bumps and redness !!!!!! Couldn't stand it after awhile and washed it all off!!!.... So much for understanding the side affects.....

Are you sure?.... I mean did u get any bumps... Not exactly like pimples... But I dunno more like insect bites !!...?..

I really want to get rid of my acne... sad.png

I can´t recall if it made bumps like insect bites , but it did purge my skin so it cuased some more pimples.

MemberMember
(@user174136)

Posted : 08/12/2013 4:24 pm

I use Duac gel! I was also prescribed those same oral antibiotics.

I'll be honest, the OA did nothing. Don't get me wrong, they didn't make anything worse, either (but take your probiotics in the morning if you take the OA at night - it DOES help, trust me).

Duac... Duac is amazing. It burnt my face for about two weeks and it looked and felt horrendous. Then I discovered jojoba oil, got used to the BP, and now I still use it very occasionally if I can feel a spot coming up. It cleared my existing acne and goes a long way to keeping my spots from re-emerging. I do other things for my face, too, but as long as you use sunscreen every day without fail and some kind of antioxidant it can be amazing for some people. As to becoming resistant, I don't think it's possible to become resistant to the BP element in it, because BP puts oxygen in the skin which kills off the bacteria - although I can see how it could stop working if it was just the Clindamycin helping you out.