Notifications
Clear all

Substitutes For Tazorac?

MemberMember
(@cherrysoda08)

Posted : 07/24/2012 2:31 am

Hello All,

Okay, so I would absolutely love it if someone could let me know if there is a substitute for the 1% Tazorac cream. I have no idea if there is even such a substitute that exists.

The reason I am asking is because I no longer have insurance, and would have to pay $255.00 per tube for it from now on. This is in no way feasible for me.

I have tried Tretinoin and ReJuv as substitutes, and both of those medications have caused comedones to form in nearly every pore on my face. Yuck. I have ruled those two medications out as substitutes for Tazorac.

Does anyone have a clue of what topical meds I could take as a substitute for Tazorac?

Any advice would be very appreciated.

MemberMember
(@runzmc)

Posted : 07/24/2012 2:43 am

If theres a generic Tazerotine cream itll definitely be cheaper. You might want to ask your doctor for a generic, or see if you can order it online somewhere (hopefully legally). I dont think Tazerotine is owned by anyone else, so im not sure if there are other versions of it besides Tazorac (though correct me if im wrong).

MemberMember
(@cherrysoda08)

Posted : 07/24/2012 2:52 am

If theres a generic Tazerotine cream itll definitely be cheaper. You might want to ask your doctor for a generic, or see if you can order it online somewhere (hopefully legally). I dont think Tazerotine is owned by anyone else, so im not sure if there are other versions of it besides Tazorac (though correct me if im wrong).

I was looking at this medication as a possible alternative, but I am not sure if buying something like this online is a good idea or not. I can't quite tell if buying generics like this online is sketchy or possibly a good, cheaper choice for me.

http://www.internati...m/tazorac.shtml

Thoughts?

MemberMember
(@cherrysoda08)

Posted : 07/24/2012 8:21 pm

BUMP.

Advice, please? rolleyes.gif

MemberMember
(@runzmc)

Posted : 07/25/2012 3:21 am

Cant help you there, ive never been down that route myself.

MemberMember
(@cherrysoda08)

Posted : 07/25/2012 3:36 am

Cant help you there, ive never been down that route myself.

Oh well. Thanks anyway. Talking to the derm's nurse tomorrow.

MemberMember
(@cherrysoda08)

Posted : 07/27/2012 1:09 am

sign_topicclosed.gif

Topic closed. For now, anyway.

MemberMember
(@notmeatall)

Posted : 07/30/2012 9:21 am

I have ordered other meds from foreign countries (Azelex) and it was easy, cheaper, and they worked fine. That looks fine to me.

MemberMember
(@cherrysoda08)

Posted : 07/30/2012 11:51 am

I have ordered other meds from foreign countries (Azelex) and it was easy, cheaper, and they worked fine. That looks fine to me.

I guess I'm just a little afraid to order it because it doesn't have a doctor's approval. Because honestly, I could be ordering some stuff that says it's the generic form of Tazorac, but the reality is that I don't really know what I would be putting on my face.

MemberMember
(@notmeatall)

Posted : 07/31/2012 7:48 am

But it appears to be a real manufacturer with a real formulation.

MemberMember
(@cherrysoda08)

Posted : 07/31/2012 10:54 am

But it appears to be a real manufacturer with a real formulation.

NotMeAtAll, it does look really legit, doesn't it? I'm seriously so tempted to order some. Or, at the very least print a screen shot of this off, and show it to my cosmetic derm to see what her opinion of Tazarotene would be.

I just don't really know what I should do, because I'm uncomfortable putting something on my skin without a medical professional's approval.

MemberMember
(@notmeatall)

Posted : 08/01/2012 6:12 am

Tazarotene is Tazorac, so it would really just be an issue of trusting that the store is sending you that product. Look up reviews of that store and see what its return policy is.

MemberMember
(@cherrysoda08)

Posted : 08/01/2012 1:46 pm

Tazarotene is Tazorac, so it would really just be an issue of trusting that the store is sending you that product. Look up reviews of that store and see what its return policy is.

That's a very good idea. I'll definitely do that. Thank you.

MemberMember
(@cherrysoda08)

Posted : 08/28/2012 8:30 pm

Well, I closed this topic. Then re-opened it. I figured now I would update it with my findings.

Here is a link containing user reviews for Tazarotene;

http://drugsinfo.org...nent/Tazarotene

But are these reviews referring to the medication in the link I inserted earlier on in the post. I don't really think so. They seem to be talking about some medicine called "Avage", which I have never heard of.

I'm just wondering if I should risk buying that off-brand Tazorac without the consent of a doctor...

Any thoughts?

MemberMember
(@notmeatall)

Posted : 09/01/2012 8:03 am

Avage is a form of Tazarotene that is prescribed for older women looking specifically for wrinkle treatment. I believe it is more moisturizing but the same active ingredient.

My doc switched me so I have a few Tazorac .05% cream sample tubes that I would be happy to send you.

MemberMember
(@cherrysoda08)

Posted : 09/01/2012 9:02 pm

Avage is a form of Tazarotene that is prescribed for older women looking specifically for wrinkle treatment. I believe it is more moisturizing but the same active ingredient.

My doc switched me so I have a few Tazorac .05% cream sample tubes that I would be happy to send you.

Aw, thanks, hon. I really appreciate that. However, I use the 0.1% cream. Strong stuff.

MemberMember
(@notmeatall)

Posted : 09/02/2012 7:44 am

D'oh! Oh well.

MemberMember
(@cherrysoda08)

Posted : 10/05/2012 1:49 am

Quick update; I'm getting bagfuls of 0.1% Taz cream samples from my derm's office, so I don't have to worry about buying the generic stuff from online for more than a little while. Yippee!

If anyone has any suggestions for Tazorac 0.1% cream, though, I would be so very appreciative. rolleyes.gif

Thanks much,

Cherry

MemberMember
(@cherrysoda08)

Posted : 01/25/2013 5:48 pm

I think I found a solution to my Tazorac woes in the form of a coupon that I got from my dermatologist's nurse. Even for people without insurance (like me) it brings the 30g tube down to $75.00. Not bad, considering that they're $250.00 full price.

Still, I'm really curious about the off-brand Tazorac. Maybe one of these days I'll give it a try.

Has anyone ever tried the generic Tazarotene 0.1% cream? eusa_think.gif

MemberMember
(@nashvillechick)

Posted : 07/02/2013 12:48 pm

The patent on Tazorac expires in June of 2014, so generics should become available at that time. I hope so, for both of us!

MemberMember
(@pieman353)

Posted : 07/04/2013 2:53 am

There is no generic version of Tazorac. Drug companies basically have a patent for a drug that lasts a certain amount of time. During that amount of time, no company can legally produce or sell that drug. Only when the patent ends can companies send their versions of the drug to be tested by the FDA. Tazorac's patent isn't up. So, while you could technically purchase a generic form, it would not be legally, made by a reputable company, or approved by the FDA so I highly recommend against it.

MemberMember
(@cherrysoda08)

Posted : 07/06/2013 3:47 pm

There is no generic version of Tazorac. Drug companies basically have a patent for a drug that lasts a certain amount of time. During that amount of time, no company can legally produce or sell that drug. Only when the patent ends can companies send their versions of the drug to be tested by the FDA. Tazorac's patent isn't up. So, while you could technically purchase a generic form, it would not be legally, made by a reputable company, or approved by the FDA so I highly recommend against it.

Thanks for the info. I actually came across a great coupon for Tazorac, and have not had to consider a generic form for quite some time now.