Notifications
Clear all

birth control and acne

MemberMember
(@jules83)

Posted : 08/08/2011 12:30 pm

Hi everyone,

I've been looking for a birth control that will help control my acne since it seems to be hormone related as my results depended more on the birth control I was taking than the topical treatments and antibiotics my dermatologist prescribed. I've tried several birth controls with varying results. It seems like whenever the birth control works for my skin, it makes me an emotional wreck and kills my libido. This has been ongoing for several years. I am now 27.

I am currently on Aviane which has only very slightly affected my moods or libido. However, my skin keeps getting worse with cystic type pimples. I've been on it for about 6 months now. My skin seems to clear up only slightly right after my period ends.

Before that, I was on Loestrin 24 which made me moody, killed my libido, and even emotionally distanced me from my fiance. My skin looked good with this except during my period when I would have a few "normal" pimples, which I could deal with.

I've also tried Orthotricyclen and Yaz lately with similar results to the Loestrin 24 as far as mood and libido goes. They were not as good with my skin as the Loestrin 24. I also tried the Nuvaring back in my college days and it was awful as far as my mood goes, made me slightly suicidal on bad days!

I'm desperate to try to find something that would work for me since my wedding is in 7 months. Does anyone have any ideas for the next one to try?? HELP!

MemberMember
(@canadian14)

Posted : 08/12/2011 11:40 am

Well, I've been on Cyestra-35 birth control for about two weeks now.

Here's a link with some more information - http://chealth.canoe.ca/drug_info_details....=4977&rot=4

My doctor prescribed it for me, and showed me that it's actually primarily an acne drug, and a secondary birth control. It should be just as effective, but just so you know.

If you try it, post results! After two weeks I haven't had significant results, maybe a few less new pimples here and there, but I still have acne all over my face.

MemberMember
(@blissful828)

Posted : 08/15/2011 10:02 pm

Don't do it... your acne will get worse after you stop.. I'm going to be thru this horrible situation very soon.

MemberMember
(@amc17)

Posted : 10/11/2014 8:15 am

I recently just started Aubra which is a combination pill and I'm only on my first pack but I went through a tough initial breakout which caused me to lose faith a little but I kept going and my skin is getting a little better now I think you should try it but don't expect immediate results like I am still getting pimples now but hopefully in two months or so I will be completely clear! :)