Notifications
Clear all

Treatment that Transformed My Skin

MemberMember
(@tortoise2013)

Posted : 07/10/2011 8:20 pm

Hey guys. I found a treatment that does amazing things for my skin, and wanted to share in case it helps someone else.

About me: I have had mild to moderate acne since puberty (I'm 21 now). I don't have rosacea (no flushing, generalized redness or clusters of red bumps). My skin tends to be pretty oily and rough to the touch, with a lot of built up dead skin, clogged pores, and some inflamed bumps and occasional cysts around my mouth and jawline before my period. It's never been too severe, but enough to annoy me and cause me to look for solutions. I've tried glycolic acid, salicylic acid, retinol, physical exfoliators like baking soda, wash cloths and various scrubs, clay masks, enzyme masks and benzoyl peroxide. They worked to varying degrees, but none of them completely solved the problem. My skin was still bumpy, rough, and prone to break outs.

What helped: I tried Devita Rx Rosacea Rx on a whim. My mom bought it to treat her rosacea, but found it too harsh, so she gave it to me (even though I don't have rosacea). I tried it one night, and when I washed my face the next morning I noticed a huge difference in my skin. My cheeks and forehead were silky. Silky! I still had a few bumps, of course, but the dead skin was gone and my face was glowing. After using it every day or every other day for about two months, the bumps are reduced by at least 80% and my skin even looks clear in a 10x magnifying mirror. I no longer break out significantly before my period (just a couple of small barely noticeable bumps). I haven't had a new cyst or inflamed papule in 2 months! The only reason I use concealer anymore is to cover the red dots from the inflammatory acne I used to have. Those are fading too, but very slowly.

What else I do: I use a salicylic acid cleanser followed by a retinol serum. I've been using both of these products for ages and think they're great, but can't credit them for the recent improvement in my skin. After my skin absorbs the retinol, I apply a pump of the Devita Rx to my entire face and neck. Depending on how disciplined I'm feeling, I do this anywhere from twice a day to every other day. I guess my skin likes me now because I can skip a day (or even two days) with no major consequences. I also take cod liver oil, 5000 IU vitamin d, magnesium citrate (in the form of Natural Calm), selenium, silicon, zinc, copper and beet kvass (a lacto-fermented beet tonic). I eat a lot of saturated fat including pastured butter and ghee, coconut and fatty meat, avoid grains other than white rice and occasional corn, avoid vegetable oils other than coconut and olive, and limit sugar. I really can't say if diet has helped my skin, but it's certainly possible. The cod liver oil and magnesium are two things I added around the same time I started using Devita Rx. I started drinking beet kvass regularly around a month before. Improved gut flora from beet kvass, better vitamin A status from cod liver oil and better magnesium status could all theoretically have helped my skin.

Devita Rx Rosacea Rx costs around $35 for a 1 oz glass bottle. I have about a third of a bottle left after two months.

Ingredients: Evening Primrose Oil, Glycolic Acid, Lactic Acid, Aloe Vera Gel, Comfrey Extract, Japanese Green Tea Extract, Hydrolyzed Wheat Protein, Zinc Glycine Salicylate, Sodium Lactate, Hyaluronic Acid, Alpha Bisabolol, Hydroxymethylcellulose, Sodium Hydroxide

MemberMember
(@binga)

Posted : 05/09/2015 4:30 pm

Beet kvass aka fermented beets. Check it out