Notifications
Clear all

Why do some people just not get acne no matter what?

MemberMember
(@miske)

Posted : 05/08/2010 1:43 am

Let's face it, there are people out there who just don't get acne no matter what they put into their bodies.

There are people out there whose diet could just consist of milk, cookies, candy, ice cream, McDonald's, chocolate, etc. yet not get a single acne lesion.

There are also bodybuilders out there who regularly take bucket loads of anabolic steroids yet their skin doesn't get a drop oilier and they don't get any acne no matter if they're injecting 3000 mg of testosterone a week into their butt and taking 100 mg a day of hardcore liver destroying anabolic orals.

What the fuck gives?

Are some people just not born with any sebaceous glands whatsoever?

MemberMember
(@wibble)

Posted : 05/08/2010 3:45 am

Let's face it, there are people out there who just don't get acne no matter what they put into their bodies.

There are people out there whose diet could just consist of milk, cookies, candy, ice cream, McDonald's, chocolate, etc. yet not get a single acne lesion.

There are also bodybuilders out there who regularly take bucket loads of anabolic steroids yet their skin doesn't get a drop oilier and they don't get any acne no matter if they're injecting 3000 mg of testosterone a week into their butt and taking 100 mg a day of hardcore liver destroying anabolic orals.

What the fuck gives?

I'd guess genetics play a part, some bodies just seem to be able to deal with the junk you eat better than others, and I guess some will never get acne.

However, we all have had acne free bodies at some point in life, if nothing more than pre adolescence. The same goes with others. They may have nice skin now, but if they keep eating junk, thats not to say a year down the road they may suffer.

I don't believe acne is a thing that happens overnight, I personally think its a state thats built in your body over time, and takes time to get rid of it too. So it wouldn't surprise me if I see those people clear, later on having acne. Some never will though, but I still think one way or another, if you feed your body consistent junk, there will be negative effects at some point.

MemberMember
(@king-rat)

Posted : 05/08/2010 10:33 am

My neighbor is like this. His diet is made up of: sweets, packaged snacks, Pepsi, steak, fast food, and dairy. Literally, that's it. That's all he eats and has been eating since I've known him (we're childhood friends). And he has crystal clear skin, maybe one or two blemishes a month, and never puts on a pound. It's kind of infuriating.

MemberMember
(@acnevsme)

Posted : 05/08/2010 10:42 am

What the fuck gives?

I'd guess genetics play a part, some bodies just seem to be able to deal with the junk you eat better than others, and I guess some will never get acne.

However, we all have had acne free bodies at some point in life, if nothing more than pre adolescence. The same goes with others. They may have nice skin now, but if they keep eating junk, thats not to say a year down the road they may suffer.

I don't believe acne is a thing that happens overnight, I personally think its a state thats built in your body over time, and takes time to get rid of it too. So it wouldn't surprise me if I see those people clear, later on having acne. Some never will though, but I still think one way or another, if you feed your body consistent junk, there will be negative effects at some point.

YEAH MY ONE FRIEND EATS SHIT LOADS OF CHIPS DRINKS PEPESI ....EATS THE MOST UNHELTHIES FOODS AROUND YET HE HAS NOT ONE PIMPLE WTF

MemberMember
(@spectacled_owl)

Posted : 05/08/2010 11:52 am

I think it has more to do with how our sebaceous glands work. Some of us just can't shed skin cells properly and this combined with oiliness makes acne.

So when people like us with the improperly functioning sebaceous glands eat crappy foods that cause excess oil production we breakout. Diet has a lot to do with how our body functions and everyone's body is different. Just sucks for us

MemberMember
(@smashley007)

Posted : 05/08/2010 6:15 pm

I know how frustrating this is, and I wish I had an answer to your question. However, I think there is an important point that can come out of this. So many of us who suffer from acne are proactive about it and eat healthy diets to try to prevent acne. In the long run this is extremely beneficial to our health. We may have acne but at least we are taking care of our bodies. It drives me crazy when people with crappy diets have good skin while I eat well and have acne, but I just try to tell myself that I am helping my body function properly and preventing serious health problems. I would rather have to treat my acne and have a strong body than have clear skin and a body that will cost me a fortune in medical bills down the road. Just something to think about.

MemberMember
(@tree23)

Posted : 05/09/2010 7:53 pm

hah this is the most frustrating thing ever! The person (i dare say friend) I know with the NICEST skin - i mean perfect, flawless, not even freckled, looks like a baby's skin - is also the unhealthiest person I have ever met. Even when she was a complete drug addict(alcohol,cocaine,pills, whatever) and living on fast food, whiskey & coke, chips, and the cheapest processed foods they sell, her skin didn't change a bit! *uck that!

I mean, if you read a book about her life and habits the person you would probably picture would look like a methhead on one of those antidrug posters, but..... no. Shes actually beautiful and has the most perfect skin ever.

skjhfkjsdjkfsdkf.....as I eat my fish and vegetables...

MemberMember
(@celloislove)

Posted : 05/09/2010 8:15 pm

I have a *theory*, based on the research I've done and whatever I've learned through AP biology...

Well, it's more like two, but you'll see:

I believe it's possible that people with acne have a specific disorder (which we'll call X) inside of their body that makes them especially reactive to certain assaults on the body (diet, stress). If this is true, acne is merely a symptom of X. You can control the symptoms of X with topicals, or fix it through diet.

People who don't have X, who eat whatever without getting breakouts, are still messing up their bodies with the foods they eat, and also by possible other poor lifestyle habits.

The second half of the theory is more like a branch off of the above. Instead of acne being a symptom of X, there is no disorder in the body and acne is actually a defense mechanism against toxins and other undesirable things happening in the body (hormone fluctuations, stress, high cholesterol, etc). The body rids itself of these things through the skin (this has been proven, but to what extent is this normal?) so that they don't harm the body in other ways.

This could be why people with acne are generally thin, despite possible poor diet.

/theory

So there, I hope someone can find something useful in these theories. It could be one, both, or neither, but I do really feel like I'm getting at something here.

MemberMember
(@fgutter)

Posted : 05/09/2010 8:30 pm

Basically all my friends are like that but what can you do lol

MemberMember
(@grind)

Posted : 05/10/2010 1:23 am

my friends are all the same too, all flawless complexion and they eat and do what they want when they want

fact of the matter is LIFE IS NOT FAIR

if you think you got a raw deal because you have to have a very controlled diet and a perfected skin care regimen just to maintain a normal skin tone, then please talk a walk with me down to some of the slums of Baku where people are working 12 hours a day for less than $10. no ones going to give them jack sh1t. who got the worse deal in life, you (or i?)? or them?

i used to complain and complain and compare and say how unfair it all was too years ago. but you just have to shut up and deal with it, be a man (or woman ) at least you have your sight, your hearing, your hands, equal opportunities, a fair wage, good education.....etc

MemberMember
(@alternativista)

Posted : 05/10/2010 3:10 pm

There are several way we can be genetically predisposed to getting acne. And those other people are not.

MemberMember
(@celloislove)

Posted : 05/12/2010 9:44 am

No one wants to discuss my theory? Ha ;]

MemberMember
(@iwantbehappy)

Posted : 05/12/2010 10:35 am

I was thinking about that.

My friend smoking, drinking alchohol, eating whatever he want, and does whatever he wants, and hes face is perfect.

MemberMember
(@srotriya)

Posted : 05/13/2010 1:50 am

my friends are all the same too, all flawless complexion and they eat and do what they want when they want

fact of the matter is LIFE IS NOT FAIR

if you think you got a raw deal because you have to have a very controlled diet and a perfected skin care regimen just to maintain a normal skin tone, then please talk a walk with me down to some of the slums of Baku where people are working 12 hours a day for less than $10. no ones going to give them jack sh1t. who got the worse deal in life, you (or i?)? or them?

i used to complain and complain and compare and say how unfair it all was too years ago. but you just have to shut up and deal with it, be a man (or woman ) at least you have your sight, your hearing, your hands, equal opportunities, a fair wage, good education.....etc

True. Many diseases are worse than acne.

MemberMember
(@jackthelad)

Posted : 05/13/2010 5:47 am

moral of this story then~?

cant beat em, join em!

I to had clear skin before and i didnt watch what i ate, i didnt try and stay clear, i drank loads of alcohol ate fast food, erm what gives.

maybe the body wants that old life style back lol

MemberMember
(@ben90)

Posted : 05/13/2010 6:08 am

Some people are born with the genetics of parents who over produced oil, its as simple as that.

If your mates parents didnt suffer from acne chances are they wont too, which means they dont over produce the oil. Most people dont realise that its only the oil that causes acne, everything else is just a factor which contributes to how severe it becomes.

Someone can be stressed, have a rubbish diet, rubbish sleep and piss on their face all day, but if they dont overproduce oil, its impossible to get spots.

MemberMember
(@jackthelad)

Posted : 05/13/2010 6:10 am

Some people are born with the genetics of parents who over produced oil, its as simple as that.

If your mates parents didnt suffer from acne chances are they wont too, which means they dont over produce the oil. Most people dont realise that its only the oil that causes acne, everything else is just a factor which contributes to how severe it becomes.

Someone can be stressed, have a rubbish diet, rubbish sleep and piss on their face all day, but if they dont overproduce oil, its impossible to get spots.

yeah thats true. so how do you explain dry skin with acne?

MemberMember
(@ben90)

Posted : 05/13/2010 6:14 am

yeah thats true. so how do you explain dry skin with acne?

Dry skin causes acne because it stops the oil filtering through the skin properly. For example, take a small elastic band and just hold it normally. That would be your pore, when its held without being pulled there is a nice, round hole, but when you pull the band it becomes tighter and the size of the hole decreases, and this is effectively what happens to your skin.

Its a bad analogy but its the only way I can think of to explain it lol. Either way, its still oil which causes the problem.

MemberMember
(@mr-crab)

Posted : 05/13/2010 11:14 am

My theory is that everyone has some kind of bacterial imbalance in their system, but not many people know how to properly fight it. Some people can become clear due to diet, but many don't because they need to systematically fight the bad bacteria along with a good diet.

MemberMember
(@bordercollieluv101)

Posted : 05/13/2010 1:42 pm

Ya know, I always wondered the same thing. I believe it has to do with hormones and genetics mainly. However, if you watch your diet and live a healthy lifestyle, your acne won't be all that bad. I'm 12 and have light acne in my t-zone. However, my older sister is 14, and barely has any pimples on her face, just a couple. However, she has some bad neck acne, and I don't. The point is, I watch my diet, and she doesn't. I think she inherited my moms genes. (my mom was pretty clear, my dad had moderate acne.) it's just all a matter of genes and hormones. I have a friend who eats total junk, and her skin used to be totally clear. However, i have been noticing more pimples lately. She used to have 1, now she has 6, but she's totally pretty, so it doesn't matter.

MemberMember
(@alex_09)

Posted : 05/13/2010 4:11 pm

Because they are genetically superior to us. I swear I will not have kids unless I adopt. My DNA is just a pile of $hit.

MemberMember
(@alternativista)

Posted : 05/13/2010 4:31 pm

Because they are genetically superior to us. I swear I will not have kids unless I adopt. My DNA is just a pile of $hit.

They aren't superior. They just have different issues. Possibly much more serious issues.

MemberMember
(@alex_09)

Posted : 05/13/2010 7:03 pm

lets see, I have got diabetes, high cholesterol, high blood pressure, heart attacks, dementia, schizophrenia, and one-other-thing-i-cant-remember in my genes.

MemberMember
(@sahartar)

Posted : 05/13/2010 7:44 pm

that's not good.

MemberMember
(@pinknika)

Posted : 05/14/2010 2:47 am

My bf is the same way, he can eat anything, drink anything and not a spot on his face. It really sucks because we live together and my diet is really different from his and I hate watching him eat something I can't really eat. I actually have a lot of friends who have clear skin and drink alcholol on a regular basis, drink milk and eat whatever. They have beautiful skin. I don't know what it is but its not fair.