Notifications
Clear all

Better Breads And Bread Substitutes (And Pancakes, Crackers, Chips, Cookies)

MemberMember
(@alternativista)

Posted : 05/03/2010 11:53 am

A collection of better bread and bread-like (pancakes, pizza bases, pasta) things from either long fermented grains, non-gluten forming grains, or other flours and meals like coconut, almond, yucca root (Tapioca) or from other foods like fermented lentils, cauliflower, etc. While the first few are about long fermented wheat doughs, plenty of grain-free recipes follow.

Be sure to also check for recipes in the various gluten free, coconut, Better Grains, and other threads full of recipes in the Food and Recipe Index thread pinned under Important Topics:

http://www.acne.org/...ce-t205099.html

You'll always be able to find this thread there as well.

I would still not make grain-based breads a big part of your diet, but if you want to indulge, make it really good bread, and fresh baked bread is the way to go.

Also, be sure to visit the ZAG enzyme thread for info on the ways anti-nutrients in grains and seeds, especially the gluten grains, soy and peanuts are harmful to digestive health and may directly affect how your skin cells exfoliate properly without clogging pores. This would be why you want to avoid grains or prepare them properly. That thread also has info on other foods and nutrients that help prevent/undue the damage from the anti-nutrients in these foods.

MemberMember
(@alternativista)

Posted : 05/03/2010 12:16 pm

Long Fermented Wheat/gluten Breads

Sourdough is an example. And supposedly many celiacs can eat sourdough. This method gives the yeast/fermentation more time to work on the gluten making it less harmful to your intestines and more tolerable to the gluten sensitive. And presumably, causes less of a glycemic impact since the gluten lectins are insulin mimics. And per Cordain, directly affect shedding of skin cells and therefore clogged pores and acne.

Before instant yeast, the yeast and half or more of the flour were left overnight to ferment before making the bread. Both to not waste the flour in case the yeast is dead and because the yeast came in dry cakes that had to be soaked themselves. If you have a bakery that makes 'artisan' bread, they might use this method. It's called the sponge method, but now days if you search recipe sites for 'no knead' bread, you find recipes made with a similar method.

-----------------------------------

No Knead Bread

Here's a basic recipe meant to be left to raise for at least 12 hours. More is, of course better. You need a dutch oven or other heat proof covered dish. Because wet dough in hot enclosed space = steam which = wonderful crusty bread. And this method is very easy with little work involved. And with variations that involve nearly no work. See my notes below. And it's extra cheap because you only use 1/4 teaspoon of yeast. I used to bake traditional kneaded loaf bread years ago and I was always annoyed that I had to spend a dollar to buy the packets of yeast making the bread just as expensive as buying it.

3 cups all-purpose or bread flour, more for dusting

1/4 teaspoon instant yeast

1 1/4 teaspoons salt

Cornmeal or wheat bran as needed.

1. In a large bowl combine flour, yeast and salt. Add 1 5/8 cups water, and stir until blended; dough will be shaggy and sticky. Cover bowl with plastic wrap. Let dough rest at least 12 hours, preferably about 18, at warm room temperature, about 70 degrees.

2. Dough is ready when its surface is dotted with bubbles. Lightly flour a work surface and place dough on it; sprinkle it with a little more flour and fold it over on itself once or twice. Cover loosely with plastic wrap and let rest about 15 minutes.

3. Using just enough flour to keep dough from sticking to work surface or to your fingers, gently and quickly shape dough into a ball. Generously coat a cotton towel (not terry cloth) with flour, wheat bran or cornmeal; put dough seam side down on towel and dust with more flour, bran or cornmeal. Cover with another cotton towel and let rise for about 2 hours. When it is ready, dough will be more than double in size and will not readily spring back when poked with a finger.

4. At least a half-hour before dough is ready, heat oven to 450 degrees. Put a 6- to 8-quart heavy covered pot (cast iron, enamel, Pyrex or ceramic) in oven as it heats. When dough is ready, carefully remove pot from oven. Slide your hand under towel and turn dough over into pot, seam side up; it may look like a mess, but that is O.K. Shake pan once or twice if dough is unevenly distributed; it will straighten out as it bakes. Cover with lid and bake 30 minutes, then remove lid and bake another 15 to 30 minutes, until loaf is beautifully browned. Cool on a rack.

Yield: One 1 -pound loaf.

Notes: The above dough is really wet as it should be, but when I tried it, it was way too wet for shaping into a ball. So if summer wasn't upon me, I would experiment with just dumping the dough into a buttered oven proof bowl right before baking and putting it into the oven, skipping all the resting and sprinkling with flour and shaping steps. This means all you do is stir it together and then do nothing else until ready to put into the oven. Incredibly easy. I don't get the point of moving it, sprinkling a little flour, then letting it rest again. Just leave it alone and bake. As it's summer and I don't use the oven, I'm going to try making the dough and when ready to use, ladle it onto a griddle to see how that works. Like Indian Fry Bread.

Also, see this blog commenter who made her own variation:

I bake the bread using the original recipe method, in an oven-proof bowl, with a lid on top. The other day I was in a hurry, so after the initial rise and shaping the dough into a loaf, I plopped it into the cold bowl, and put it in a cold oven (no preheating). Then I turned the oven to 450 degrees, baked the bread for 30 minutes with the lid on and 30 minutes with the lid off. The bread was fantastic. The crust was crispy on the outside, and the inside was delicious. The next day I tried this with dough that was refrigerated overnight. No extra rising, I just sprinkled the dough with flour, shaped a quick round loaf, and plopped it in the cold baking dish, and baked it. It was great! This saves me a lot of time, and I dont have to preheat the oven. Just thought I would pass this on.

Also, I've seen recipes from the same chef in Martha Stewart Living, but it only had 1 1/2 cup of water which would probably making shaping it more possible which would be best if you want to use the preheated dutch oven method.

Another also, in light of the next method I am going to post, I see no reason why you couldn't let it sit for several days up to 2 weeks (which will make it more and more sour as in sourdough) in the fridge before baking.

Links to more info and variations: http://dinersjournal.blogs.nytimes.com/200...no-knead-bread/ whole wheat: http://www.sugoodsweets.com/blog/2007/03/no-knead-wwbread/ Multigrain: http://www.culinate.com/recipes/collection.../no_knead_bread

http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/member/n...7#ixzz0mt2mpZxB

If you search for more info, be sure to ignore any suggestions about not letting it ferment at least 12 hours.

Also, this method is potentially better than sourdough because you ferment all the flour. With sourdough, you may add the starter when you may mix in most of the flour and then just let rise a couple hours.

The Science Behind No-Knead Bread - to help you figure out how to make subsitutions or form different kinds of breads:

http://www.seriouseats.com/2011/06/the-foo...tm_medium=email

MemberMember
(@alternativista)

Posted : 05/03/2010 12:37 pm

Another long fermentation method

The 5 minutes a day method that involves keeping dough for several loaves in the fridge for up to 2 weeks (when it becomes pretty much like sourdough) as you use hunks at a time to make a loaf whenever you want it. The name is silly because there's no daily labor involved and what labor there is takes more than 5 minutes. This method is great if you have people around to eat all that bread.

They have several books, the first one, a second book that draws from traditional breads around the world, possibly using other grains that people used before our wheat spread there. And apparently a third coming out on flat breads. See http://www.artisanbreadinfive.com for their blog with recipes, all kinds of tips and variations including other flours and shapes. Like a recent post on hot dog buns.

Basic Recipe: well, i can't find that at the moment, I'll find and edit later. Search the blogs. But unless you are seriously gluten intolerant, you should start with the basic white flour recipe and get the technique down before trying the others. The reason we use so much white wheat flour for bread is because it gives the best results.

Here's the basic GF dough recipe http://www.artisanbreadinfive.com/?p=1396#more-1396 . And a gluten free Naan made in a skillet on the stovetop.

Note: Guar gum and xantham gum are used to bind the bread together in place of the gluten. I found this comment on that: 'Some people react to guar gum, so xantham is better. If you also react to that, try pectin.' With no more info on how to use the pectin or what it does. Although, I guess these things are used to make the bread elastic, which is what gluten does. Otherwise, it would be the texture of cake.

Note: I have since found info that you can use flax seed and chia seed. And possibly any mucilagenous food. Which would be good because that plant mucin binds up lectins and helps repair the mucin lining of your digestive tract.

MemberMember
(@alternativista)

Posted : 05/03/2010 12:41 pm

Alternative, Non-Grain Flour:

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/simply-...cipe/index.html

Yucca a.k.a. Tapioca Buns (Gluten Free)

The yucca here is a root eaten throughout central America and beyond. It is also known as manioc, and I think it's the same thing as Cassava. Eaten like a potato as well as used for bread.

Ingredients

* Cooking spray

* 1 cup tapioca flour, plus extra for kneading

* 1 teaspoon baking powder

* 2 cups Oaxaca cheese or other fresh white cheese, such as mozzarella, finely grated

* 2 large egg yolks

* 2 to 3 tablespoons heavy cream, if necessary

Directions

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Line a baking pan with aluminum foil, and coat with nonstick cooking spray. Set aside.

Combine the tapioca flour and baking powder together in a large bowl. Stir in the cheese and egg yolks. Mix until the dough forms a ball. Lightly flour a work surface and turn the dough out. Knead the dough with your hands until the dough is smooth, even-textured, and not sticky. If the dough doesn't come together or seems too stiff, then add cream, 1 tablespoon at a time, until it comes together and feels supple.

Divide the dough into 10 even pieces and with your hands, roll each into a ball. Shape the balls into ovals and place them 1-inch apart on the prepared baking sheet. Bake until the rolls are pale gold (not browned), about 15 to 20 minutes. Cool on a wire rack for 5 to 10 minutes and serve while still warm. Serve with Pineapple Marmalade, if desired.

MemberMember
(@alternativista)

Posted : 05/03/2010 12:46 pm

Alternative to flour:

'You Won't Believe it's Cauliflower Pizza Crusts and 'bread' Sticks.' GF

http://cleochatra.blogspot.com/2008/02/i-c...ower-pizza.html

Variations:

http://cleochatra.blogspot.com/2008/02/con...iflower-as.html

1 cup cooked, riced cauliflower*

1 egg

1 cup mozzarella cheese

1/2 tsp fennel

1 tsp oregano

2 tsp parsley

**pizza or alfredo sauce

toppings (make sure meats are cooked)

mozzarella cheese

Delicious and easy.

Preheat oven to 450 degrees Farenheit.

Spray a cookie sheet with non-stick spray.

In a medium bowl, combine cauliflower, egg and mozzarella. Press evenly on the pan. Sprinkle evenly with fennel, oregano and parsley.

Bake at 450 degrees for 12-15 minutes (15-20 minutes if you double the recipe).

Remove the pan from the oven. To the crust, add sauce, then toppings and cheese.

Place under a broiler (grill for the Europeans) at high heat just until cheese is melted **.

MemberMember
(@alternativista)

Posted : 05/03/2010 1:04 pm

Sprouted Grain breads in a crockpot. Only one ingredient

I may try this method this summer, although I'm not liking the part where I have to get out and then clean a food processor.

Thread: http://www.acne.org/messageboard/1-Ingredi...39#entry2821039

Basic recipe uses wheat berries, but you can use other. Whole Foods has Wheat, Spelt, Oats, Rye, etc in their bulk bins.

This Sprouted Wheat Bread recipe is so simple and delicious; you won't believe it is made with only one ingredient. Yes, that's right, bread made from one ingredient. In order to make it you need to plan ahead (about 3 days). Here's how it's made.

1 cup wheat berries

Sprouting equipment

Food processor with S blade

Small Pyrex type bowl (heat resistant)

Crock-pot with low setting

Soak wheat berries for 8 hours or overnight. Then rinse and drain the berries three times a day for the next 32 hours or until the wheat berries have sprouted A inch tails. For more information on sprouting go to our sprouting page.

Important: Make sure the berries are well drained before processing into dough. In other words, donat rinse after they are finished sprouting!

Place the sprouted wheat berries into your food processor with the S blade in place and pulse until the berries resemble bread dough and form a ball around the food processor blade.

Remove the ball of dough from the food processor. Shape the dough into 1 small ball. You may want to sprinkle with freshly ground corn meal. Place the shaped dough into a small Pyrex type bowl that will easily fit into your crock pot.

Place the cover on your crock-pot and turn to its lowest setting. Cook the bread for approximately 8 hours or until the bread is a rich, dark brown. The top of the bread may crack and it will have a tough, thick crust on the outside and a moist, brown bread on the inside.

This bread is very rich, delicious and extra nutritious because it uses sprouted berries. Because it is so nutritionally dense, you only need a small piece to accompany your salad or soup entrAe. This recipe will serve about 4. Your sprouted grain bread recipe will stay fresh in your refrigerator for about 1 week.

MemberMember
(@alternativista)

Posted : 05/03/2010 1:08 pm

Here's a blog with lots of nut meal, flax seed and such recipes. This person is really back to nature, she even gathers and uses acorns.

Flax and almond meal bread or pancakes. A baking soda (not yeasted) bread. Also has some nut meal flour. Perhaps could be made with the above sprouting and crockpot method:

http://animahealingarts.org/?p=394

And here's a bread blog that may have some good methods:

http://www.thefreshloaf.com/

Remember, you are looking for either long fermentation or alternatives to gluten grain breads.

MemberMember
(@drizzler)

Posted : 05/03/2010 3:30 pm

Two grain-free bread recipes:

Almond Bread

from Elana's Pantry

Ingredients:

2 cups of almond flour

1 tablespoon of baking powder

4 whole omega-3 eggs

5 tablespoons of virgin organic coconut oil (heat to liquefy if needed)

1/2 cup hot water

Non-stick baking spray

Directions:

1. Preheat your oven to 350 degrees. The oven is that boxy thing somewhere near your fridge. No, not the microwave. The bigger boxy thing. With knobs 'n shit.

2. Whisk the wet ingredients together. Mix the dry ingredients together. Now mix both together. The result is swamp sludge. But it'll look better soon.

3. Pour into a sprayed-up 4 x 8 loaf pan or disposable foil pan.

4. Bake for 40 minutes or so.

5. Eat in one sitting. Go to sleep. Poo like the god Thor the next morning. Take a photo of it. Put it on your Facebook wall. Bask in the glory that is you.

Options:

1. This recipe makes a savory loaf. For a dessert-like bread, add 3 or 4 tablespoons of Splenda, a shot of vanilla extract, dried fruits, and chopped nuts.

2. Various dried spices like cinnamon, clove, nutmeg, ginger and allspice add tons of flavor and no unnecessary calories if you're cutting and keeping meals volumized.

3. You can also go with 1 cup of almond flour and 1 cup of milled flax seed. But don't eat that in one sitting or you'll blow your bunghole to China the next day.

4. Almond flour expert Elana Amsterdam, author of The Gluten-Free Almond Flour Cookbook, says not to use Bob's Red Mill brand of almond flour or your recipes may turn out runny. She also says to use only the blanched stuff, but I've had great results with my uncircumcised almonds. So there, Elana.

Coconut Flour Bread

Ingredients:

6 eggs

1/2 cup ghee (or butter)

2 TBS honey

1/2 tsp sea salt

3/4 c coconut flour

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.

Blend all ingredients in a food processor (or whisk) until there are no lumps. Pour into greased bread pan. Bake in preheated oven for 40 mins.

MemberMember
(@drizzler)
MemberMember
(@gmarias)

Posted : 05/03/2010 4:58 pm

Super Simple Microwavable Bread (for those of us who are lazy from time to time)

2 cups almond meal/flour

3/4 cup water

1/4 tsp. sea salt

1/4 tsp. baking powder

2 eggs

1. Mix everything together. Make sure the eggs are well beaten

2. Pout it into a tall - bread shaped microwavable dish.

3. Cook for around 2-5 minutes, depending on the power of your microwave. It should visibly rise.

4. To make sure it's finished, simply stick it with a knife or toothpick. It shouldn't have any residue on it.

Presto! Easy bread. The best part is that it's super quick, super easy, and super adaptable. You can toss in any seasonings you want to make a variety of flavors. You can also decrease the amount of meal/flour if you prefer a softer, less dense bread.

MemberMember
(@gmarias)

Posted : 05/03/2010 5:04 pm

Simple Microwavable Chocolate Cake/Muffins

1-2 cups of almond meal/flour (depending on how dense you want it)

2 eggs

1/4 tsp sea salt

1/4 tsp baking powder

1/4 tsp. vanilla extract

1.5 tbs. unsweetened cocoa powder

1/2 cup unsweetened almond milk

Sweetener of choice to taste (I use about 5 packets of Sweet Leaf Stevia)

1. Mix eggs, salt, baking powder, vanilla and sweetener

2. Microwave the almond milk

3. Add the cocoa powder to the almond milk so that it dissolves and makes a chocolate milk.

4. Add the chocolate almond milk to the batter.

5. Pour the mixture into a microwave safe container. Microwave for 2-5 minutes depending on oven temp. If you want a muffin or cupcake shape, add to a paper cupcake holder. Place the little cupcake holder into a round bowl or something that will support the sides. If you don't do this, the batter will expand and possibly flow out of the cup, making more of a cookie shape.

Still working on trying to find good faux frosting recipe to top it with.

MemberMember
(@gmarias)

Posted : 05/03/2010 5:09 pm

Fruit Muffins

2.5 cups of fine almond meal/flour

1/2 tsp baking soda

1/2 tsp salt

1 tbs. vanilla extract

3 eggs

1/4 cup of sweetener of choice (again, I use Stevia)

1 cup of your fruit of choice

1. Heat the oven to 300 degrees.

2. Mix ingredients together and pour them into 12 muffin cups in a muffin pan. Each cup should be about 3/4 full.

3. Bake for 30 minutes.

MemberMember
(@alternativista)

Posted : 05/04/2010 4:51 pm

Grain Free

Coconut flour Thread:

http://www.acne.org/messageboard/Greatest-ever-t254046.html

Grain free Pancakes, cookies, bagel/English muffin substitutes, crepes, cupcakes...

Other grain free coconut flour recipes: Bread, pancakes

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/coconut-flour/

MemberMember
(@alternativista)

Posted : 05/04/2010 4:58 pm

Grain Free

Nut Butter Banana Pancakes

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/almond-banana-pancakes/

* 2 ripe bananas

* 1 egg

* 1 heaping tablespoon of almond butter

Mash the bananas, add the egg and mix well.

Stir in the almond butter, adding more than a tablespoon if you want a more pancake-like texture.

Warm butter in a pan and pour batter into small cakes.

Brown on each side and serve warm.

These are incredibly delicious!!! But the bananas brown/burn very fast leaving the inside kinda uncooked. Experiment with either a low flame or using your spoon to spread the pancakes thin. When I made them, mine were kind of thick.

Recipes for almond meal: Other grain free pancake and cookie recipes

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/the-many-uses-of-almond-meal/

MemberMember
(@drizzler)

Posted : 05/04/2010 6:01 pm

More alternative bread-like recipes:

Hazelnut Pizza Crust

Ingredients:

2 eggs

2 cups of hazelnut flour, plus more?

2 tsp olive oil

3/4 tsp salt

dried spices, such as basil, thyme and oregano, are optional

Directions:

Beat the eggs in a medium mixing bowl. Add the other ingredients and stir. If mixture does not easily form a ball, add more flour by the tablespoon. 1 T of coconut flour will also help as it absorbs excess liquid very well.

Grease a pizza pan or cookie sheet, and sprinkle some of the flour on as well. Place the ball of dough in the middle of the pan and squish it out into the shape you want. This should be enough dough to mostly cover a standard cookie sheet. It is fine if it doesn't reach all the way to the edges.

Bake the crust for about 20 minutes at 350 degrees, until it is lightly browned and no longer wet. Top with sauce and other toppings, and return to oven for 5-10 minutes, or long enough for toppings to heat up and cheese to melt if you are using cheese.

Nut Butter & Pureed Squash Pancakes

http://grainfreefoodie.blogspot.com/2009/0...t-pancakes.html

Ingredients:

1 C pureed, cooked squash (any type, even pumpkin)

1 C nut butter

5 eggs

1/2 tsp salt

1 T cinnamon

dash of cloves, nutmeg, and any other "pumpkin pie" type spice

Directions:

Separate the eggs, and beat the whites until fluffy (soft peaks are fine). In a large bowl, mix together the 5 egg yolks, the squash, the nut butter, and the salt and spices. Blend thoroughly. Fold the egg whites into this mixture gently, so that the resulting batter is airy and light.

Cook on a well-greased griddle on a somewhat low heat, as they do burn easily. Flip them gently as they do not stay together as well as regular pancakes.

NOTE- Pancake batter provides a great opportunity to "hide" healthy ingredients. This morning, I blended in 2 T of beef marrow and about 1/4 of pureed mushroom soup, and the pancakes looked and tasted fine.

Optional syrup:

1/4 C honey

juice of half a lemon

vanilla (optional)

Combine the first two ingredients in a saucepan and heat over medium heat. They will heat up and become much thinner very quickly. Turn off heat, and add vanilla, if using. At this point you can further thin the syrup by adding in some filtered water.

Primal Pumpkin Loaf

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/showt...al-Pumpkin-Loaf (I modified a bit from the original recipe)

Ingredients:

3/4 can pumpkin (~11oz)

1 cup almond meal

6 eggs

2 Tbsp honey (have used 4 Tbsp for more sweetness)

1 Tbsp ground cinnamon, pumpkin pie spices

1/2 tsp. of baking soda

Blend ingredients and pour into 9x5" baking pan. 350F for 50 minutes.

This is seriously good stuff. Butter when warm right out of the oven, you might eat the entire loaf.

Grain-Free Almond Crackers

http://cavemanfood.blogspot.com/2009/04/gr...d-crackers.html

Ingredients:

1 cup almond flour

1 egg white

1 pinch salt

Directions:

Preheat the oven to 325 degrees.

In a bowl, mix together the almond flour, egg white, and salt until it forms a paste.

Line a cookie sheet with parchment paper. Make sure you use parchment paper, because if you don't you'll end up chipping your crackers out of the pan. Place the dough in the middle and top with another piece of parchment paper. Using a rolling pin (or any other cylindrical instrument), roll out the dough as thin as you can get it. Try to make it take up the whole cookie sheet if you can. Super thin. I mean it!

Peel off the top layer of paper and score the dough with a knife into whatever size crackers you want. Bake in the 325 oven for 10 minutes and then check on the crackers. You are looking for them to color ever so slightly. A little color means crispy, but a lot of color means burned nut taste, which is no good. If the edges have started to color nicely, remove them to a plate and put the remaining crackers back in the oven. Keep doing this, checking every 5 minutes and removing the golden crackers, until finally they are all baked to perfection.

Cool completely and store in an airtight container. You can make many variations on these crackers by adding in different seasonings to the dough base.

Gorilla Cake

http://www.sonofgrok.com/2009/03/recipe-an...e-gorilla-cake/

Ingredients:

Crust

- Dash of Cinnamon

- 2 Tblspoons organic butter (or coconut oil if you prefer)

- .5-1 cup almond flour

Filling

- 3 bananas

- 2.5 cups of unsweetened shredded coconut

- 1/4 cup coconut milk

- 2 eggs

- Dash of cinnamon

Directions:

Crust

1. Melt butter or oil and mix almond flour and a dash of cinnamon into a dough.

2. Press your dough very thinly into your baking pan (Pyrex 9x9)

Filling

1. Process 2 of the cups of shredded coconut until fine. (I used my food processor.

2. Combine fine coconut, unprocessed coconut, bananas and eggs in a mixer (I was trying out my new kitchen aid) Mix until liquid pudding texture. (if you donat have a kitchen aid, you may need to uses a blender or processor to goo up your nanners.

Put it together

1. Pour your filling into your pan with your crust

2. Sprinkle top with a dash of cinnamon

3. Bake at 350 degrees until done (mine took about 30 minutes).

4. Serve warm or cold! Enjoy!

MemberMember
(@alternativista)

Posted : 05/13/2010 9:46 am

Grain Free Banana/Nut Butter Cake and Icing

using coconut flour, milk, oil

Instructions below are for cupcakes

Ingredients (makes 12 cupcakes)

Cake

- 2 Tbsp coconut oil

- 4 Tbsp coconut milk

- 1/2 Cup coconut flour

- 2 Tbsp raw honey or maple syrup

- 1 Tbsp pure vanilla extract

- 3 eggs

- 1 tsp aluminum free baking powder

- 1/2 tsp salt

- 2 whole mashed bananas (very ripe)

- 1/4 C toasted coconut shreds (for the garnish on the icing)

Icing

- 1/4 Cup macadamia nut butter

- 1/4 Cup coconut milk

- 2 Tbsp coconut sugar (I found mine at The Big Carrot in Toronto). You could sub raw honey or maple syrup.

- 1/2 Tbsp lemon juice (or more)

- 1/4 Tbsp 100% vanilla extract

- 1/8 Cup coconut oil

Directions:

1. To make the icing:

1. Melt the macadamia nut butter (especially if youave had it in the fridge) so that itas smooth and easy to mix. Melt the coconut oil with the coconut sugar.

2. Mix all of the icing ingredients together thoroughly. Refrigerate for a few hours until itas texture is similar to icing.

2. For the cupcakes:

1. Pre-heat oven to 350

2. In a bowl, mix together coconut flour, salt, baking powder, coconut milk, vanilla extract, bananas and eggs

3. Melt the coconut oil and honey/maple syrup and then slowly add it to the mix.

4. Mix together thoroughly and pour into greased (use coconut oil or non-stick spray) muffin baking pan.

5. Bake for about 20-30 minutes a check after 20 minutes because you might have a better oven. You want to be able to stick a fork into the middle and have it come out dry.

6. Remove from oven and let it cool completely (otherwise the icing melts off)

3. To toast the coconut, spread it out on a baking sheet and pop it into the 350 oven for 5 minutes. Shake it around and put it back in for another 2 minutes or until itas toasted.

4. Spread the icing on top of each and sprinkle with toasted coconut

Same Cake batter for a Pineapple Upside down Cake

Ingredients (serves 4 big pieces or 6 avg size):

For Caramelizing Pineapple:

- 2 slices of pineapple (about 1 inch thick)

- 1 tsp coconut oil

- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract

For Cake:

- I used a rectangular small baking dish (see pic at bottom), which fit the 2 slices of pineapple perfectly.

- 2 Tbsp coconut oil

- 4 Tbsp coconut milk

- 1/2 Cup coconut flour

- 2 Tbsp raw honey

- 1 Tbsp pure vanilla extract

- 3 eggs

- 1 tsp aluminum free baking powder

- 1/2 tsp salt

- 2 whole mashed bananas (very ripe)

Directions:

1. Pre-heat oven to 350

2. Start with caramelizing pineapple slices a In a non-stick skillet, heat 1 tsp of coconut oil. Add the pineapple and let it fry for about 2 minutes a until itas golden brown. Pour the vanilla extract on top while frying. Flip pineapple and fry the other side. Remove and put pineapple at the bottom of your baking pan.

3. In a bowl, mix together coconut flour, salt, baking powder, coconut milk, vanilla extract, bananas and eggs

4. Melt the coconut oil and honey and then slowly add it to the mix.

5. Mix together thoroughly and pour into baking pan overtop of pineapples

6. Bake for about 45 minutes a check after 30 minutes because you might have a better oven. You want to be able to stick a fork into the middle and have it come out dry.

7. Remove from oven and let it cool for a few minutes

8. Put a plate overtop of the baking pan and turn it upside down so that the baking pan is now upside down over the plate.

9. Remove baking pan so that pineapple slices are the centerpiece of the cake.

From a Primal dieter's blog with plenty more recipes:

http://cosmopolitanprimalgirl.wordpress.co...side-down-cake/

MemberMember
(@alternativista)

Posted : 06/30/2010 9:38 pm

Oat flour tortillas (no wheat or corn)

A chef on Top Chef made them, but I couldn't find their recipe. I found this:

Oat Flour Wraps/Tortillas Recipe #301707

This is a wheat-free recipe but may still contain gluten depending on your source of flour. From Bob's Red Mill as contributed by contributed from All Allergy Self-Help Cookbook by Marjorie Hunt Jones, RN . Posted in response to a recipe request.

by Molly53

20 min | 15 min prep

SERVES 4

* 1 cup oat flour (Bob's Red Mill preferred)

* 1 teaspoon taco seasoning mix (store bought, Taco Seasoning Mix or your own recipe)

* 1/2 cup water

1. Mix the first two ingredients together; stir in water, then feel for consistency (the dough should be soft, but not wet, and mold easily).

2. As you stir, the dough will form a ball (add more water if necessary).

3. Pinch off four balls of dough about the size of golf balls.

4. Roll them in a little additional flour to coat well.

5. Knead each ball a bit as you pat or roll it into a flat circle that is about 1/8 inch thick and 5 inches across.

6. Heat a heavy frying pan or griddle (no oil or grease).

7. Place each tortilla in the hot pan and cook for a few minutes on each side.

8. Tortillas should become lightly brown and start to appear dry.

9. Cool on wire racks.

10. Store in the refrigerator up to 2 weeks or freeze.

Except I would not add taco seasoning. Yuck. Use a little salt.

And since tortillas are such simple things, I imagine you can make them with almost any flour with a little experimentation.

MemberMember
(@cheycheyenne)

Posted : 06/30/2010 10:32 pm

Biscuits: http://healthyindulgences.blogspot.com/search/label/biscuits

Fluffy Biscuits

Adapted from this recipe by Laura Dolson

Makes four biscuits

Ingredients:

1 and 1/2 tablespoons of unsalted organic butter or nonhydrogenated shortening

1 cup plus two tablespoons of finely ground almond flour

1/4 teaspoon sea salt

3/4 teaspoon aluminum-free baking powder

4 egg whites

Preparation:

Preheat oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit.

1. Cut cold fat (butter or shortening) into dry ingredients with the tines of your fork, rotating the bowl around with your other hand until the mixture has pea-sized chunks throughout. You could also use a pastry blender, in which case you probably don't need to read these instructions.

2. Chill mixture in the fridge for 5-10 minutes or as long as you can stand it. The longer the better. The more the fat can get cold and hard, the puffier your biscuits will be. Remember that!

3. Separate the egg yolks from the whites (using the shell halves to tip the yolk back and forth a few times). Reserve yolks (save all that creamy goodness for ice cream or homemade mayo!) and whisk egg whites with a fork in a bowl for 20 seconds, until no longer stringy and gloopy. You just want 'em a little foamy.

4. Remove mixture from fridge and whisk in the egg whites for a couple of seconds, breaking up any massive chunks in the dough with your whisk or fork. It'll be an extremely runny dough with chunks of the almond mixture. Pour it into greased foil-lined ramekins/nonstick muffin cups/a muffin top pan and get that sucker in the hot oven before the fat can even THINK about softening!

IF YOU ARE USING FOIL-LINED RAMEKINS, bake for 15 minutes. IF YOU ARE USING A MUFFIN TOP PAN, bake for 12 minutes. The edges of these biscuits stick really badly, so be sure to grease liberally whatever vessel you're using to bake these. Some sort of non-stick pan works best here! Silicone muffin cups are great, too. Greased foil-lined ramekins are alright, but you have to gently tease the muffins out of the foil.

Not sure if you guys eat butter/shortening though

MemberMember
(@alternativista)

Posted : 07/19/2010 10:52 am

Pizza Crust Method

In his new easy Italian cookbook, Mario Batalli recommends making pizzas by making and shaping the dough then cooking on a griddle until just barely tan, not brown. They can then be used or stored in the freezer. To use, add your toppings then cook pizza under the broiler. I usually make a simple Margherita-style pizza with tomato slices or sauce, thinly sliced onions, cheese,

Use one of the long fermented bread dough methods mentioned in prior posts. In my attempts, they make such a wet dough, I think you could practically ladle the dough onto the griddle and spread thin (which I've been meaning to try). But if your dough isn't that wet, you need to shape it with your hands on a floured (or cornmealed) surface.

Note: I tried ladling it onto a griddle. It doesn't work. Even though it's wet and will spread out, you can't spread it to pizza crust thinness while cooking it on a hot griddle. It's elastic and it snaps back. You will have to shape/stretch/roll it into pizza crust size and thickness, then transfer to the griddle.

MemberMember
(@alternativista)

Posted : 07/26/2010 5:52 pm

Grain Free

This is exciting. Empanada dough, which means it's a pie crust dough, made from plaintains. The only flour in the recipe is used to prevent sticking when rolling out dough and I'm sure you can use any substitute.

This is from a famous chef owner of a Mexican restaurant in Chicago. He's had a TV show on PBS for years. http://www.rickbayless.com/recipe/view?recipeID=170

I'm going to use it to make these nut filled pastries they sell in Panaderias (Mexican bakeries).

Ripe Plantain Turnovers with Black Bean Filling

Empanadas de Platano

Makes 12 empanadas, serving 4 to 6 as a snack

Ingredients

3 to 4 large (about 2 pounds total) ripe (but not mushy) plantains (ripe plantains are nearly all black)

Salt

1 15-ounce can black beans, drained

1 tablespoon olive oil

3 large garlic cloves, peeled and finely chopped

Flour for forming the empanadas

Vegetable oil to a depth of 1/2 -inch, for frying

1/4 cup grated Mexican queso anejo or other garnishing cheese like Romano or Parmesan

1 cup salsa (Chipotle Salsa is delicious with these empanadas)

Directions

1. Make the plantain dough. Fill a large (4-quart) saucepan with water and bring to a boil. Cut the ends off the plantains. Make a shallow incision down the length of the plantains, then cut them half. Add to the pot and boil for 20 minutes. Using tongs, remove from the pot and remove the skins. Cut into 1-inch pieces and let cool completely. Process the cooled plantains thru a food mill (fitted with the largest hole die) or a potato ricer. (There will be about 2 cups of puree.) Season with salt, usually about 3/4 teaspoon.

2. Make the filling. While the plantains are cooling, puree the beans in a food processor until smooth. In a medium (8-inch) non-stick skillet, heat the oil over medium. Add the garlic and cook for 1 minute until slightly brown. Scrape in the pureed beans and cook, stirring frequently, until the mixture has the consistency of very soft mashed potatoes. Taste and season with salt, usually about 3/4 teaspoon. Let cool (the mixture will thicken as it cools).

3. Form the empanadas. Drop heaping tablespoons of the plantain dough onto a heavily floured work surface and roll the dough in the flour to form rough balls. Press out each piece of dough into a 2 1/2-inch circle, flipping the dough in the flour to keep it from sticking to your fingers. Add more flour to the surface as needed (you will use approximately 1/4 cup of flour for this step). Place 1 tablespoon of the cooled bean mixture in the center of each piece of dough. With lightly floured hands, pick up the dough, fold it in half around the beans and press the edges together with your fingertips to seal the empanada. Lay the finished empanada on a lightly floured, plastic wrapped baking sheet. Continue until youave made all the empanadas.

4. Fry the empanadas. Heat the oil in a large (10-inch) deep, heavy skillet until hot - about 350 degrees on a deep-fry thermometer. Fry the empanadas 3 or 4 at a time, turning occasionally, until nicely golden, about 3 minutes total. Drain on paper towels. Serve at once on a warm serving platter with the queso anejo sprinkled over the top. Pass the salsa for guests to daub on as they like.

COOKaS NOTES:

The formed empanadas can be covered and held at room temperature for several hours before frying. The finished empanadas are best just hot out of the skillet, but they can successfully be fried a day in advance; cool completely before storing in a covered container in the refrigerator. Reheat in a 375 degree oven until thoroughly hot, about 10 minutes.

Choosing the right plantains for this recipe: Choose plantains that are yellow with black stripes. They should still be firm when you press on them with just a slight amount of give. Plantains that are too ripe will affect the consistency of the dough and you'll need to add flour to the dough in order to work with it. Also, using a food processor to puree the plantains will yields a consistency that requires more flour.

While the empanadas will not be quite as tender as when fried, they can be brushed with an egg wash and baked at 375 degrees until golden brown, about 20 minutes.

You can substitute 6 ounces of queso fresco or goat cheese for the black bean filling.

MemberMember
(@alternativista)

Posted : 07/27/2010 7:11 pm

Cauliflower 'bread' crumbs, 'Rice', 'couscous', etc

This replaces the bread crumbs sprinkled on top of a dish that creates a browned topping when baked. I doubt it's of any use as a binder as in the breadcrumbs often used in meatloaf, meat balls, salmon cakes, crab cakes, etc.

Pulse cauliflower into 'breadcrumbs' and add garlic and half the sea salt, stir.

Taken from a line in a recipe for a veggie lasagna that uses eggplant or squash in place of the pasta found in this thread: http://www.acne.org/messageboard/Healthy-f...as-t187800.html

Also, see this recipe for using finely chopped or 'riced' cauliflower as a substitute for couscous in a Moraccan-style dish:

http://www.acne.org/messageboard/index.php...t&p=3025298

MemberMember
(@alternativista)

Posted : 07/29/2010 11:49 am

I'm looking for things that can be done with prepared Masa aka masa harina aka Nixtamal which is field corn (not sweet corn) that was soaked in an alkaline solution breaking down antinutrients and freeing nutrients then ground into a flour as it's been done for thousands of years in Mesoamerica. You mix this with water to make corn tortillas and related foods like pupusas and gorditas. Or with broth and fat for tamales.

I found a mention of using it to replace the wheat flour in corn bread. You still add regular corn meal, but it's an improvement over the use of unfermented wheat flour.

And I found this recipe for an empanada (little pie) dough, but it uses over half wheat flour. I suppose it's necessary to make it hold together, but perhaps it can be reduced, fermented and/or another flour substituted. http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/tyler-f...cipe/index.html

Also this recipe for a masa and black bean cake topped with spicy sweet potatoes: http://www.herbivoracious.com/2009/11/boco...ams-recipe.html But be sure to soak and prepare your black beans properly.

I'm also trying to find methods for fermenting the flour when making crusts and baked goods that use baking powder as usually you mix the baking soda or powder into the dry ingredients i.e. the flour to make sure it's mixed, and add the liquid at the last moment. The soda only works for a short time so you can't let it sit.

Also looking for a recipe for some Indian fermented lentil buns I saw on some Primal eating blog. I thought they were called Dosas, but that seems to be a pancake, which is good too. It would be a really high protein pancake.

MemberMember
(@alternativista)

Posted : 07/29/2010 4:34 pm

Grain Free

Coconut Bread

Slightly sweet and fairly light (as opposed to the denser breads made with almond meal), this coconut bread should do the trick.

Ingredients:

6 eggs

1/2 cups ghee (or butter)

1-2 tablespoon honey, depending on taste

1/2 teaspoon sea salt

1 teaspoon baking powder

3/4 cup coconut flour

Method:

Preheat your oven to 350. Whisk it all together, or blend in a food processor until all lumps are gone. Grease a bread pan with butter or coconut oil and pour your batter in. Bake for 40 minutes.

If we split it up into six servings each slice will, according to FitDay, have:

30.9 g fat

13.2 g carbs (9 g fiber)

8.35 g protein

Coconut Pancakes

Drizzle these with honey and berries, wrap up some bacon and eggs for a Primal breakfast burrito, or just eat them plain. These things are incredibly easy to make.

Ingredients:

4 eggs

1/4 cup coconut flour

1/4 tsp vanilla extract

1 pinch nutmeg

1 pinch cinnamon

1 tablespoon honey

1/4 cup coconut milk (full fat)

Method:

Mix these ingredients and let them sit for five minutes. Oil or grease up your pan and heat over medium heat. Pour about a 1/4 cup of batter for each crepe, allowing each side to brown before flipping it.

Without accounting for toppings or cooking fat, FitDay says the whole batch amounts to:

37.2 g fat (20.9 g saturated)

42.2 g carbs (19.4 g fiber)

30.6 g protein

MemberMember
(@alternativista)

Posted : 08/12/2010 4:50 pm

Grain Free

Crepes No flour. Just eggs, liquid and a little nut butter. http://www.comfytummy.com/2009/08/05/scd-crepes/

SCD Crepes

Ingredients

2 large eggs

2 TB cashew butter

2 TB apple cider

a dash of salt

1/8 tsp vanilla extract

a pinch of cinnamon

a pat of butter

In a small bowl, beat eggs. Add cashew butter and apple cider and whisk in until very well combined. (You can also use a food processor or blender for this). Add salt, vanilla, and cinnamon.

Heat a small non-stick skillet over medium low heat. (If the heat is too high, the crepe wonat stay soft but will get crisp and crack when you try to roll or fold it) Add enough butter to thinly coat the bottom of the pan. Pour half of the crepe batter into the pan and quickly pick the pan up and swirl the batter around the bottom of the pan to form the crepe. Cook for a minute or two until the batter starts to set. Flip the crepe and continue to cook for another minute. Turn out onto a plate. Spread with an SCD jam and Farmeras cheese, roll, and eat.

Makes 2 crepes.

Read more: http://www.comfytummy.com/2009/08/05/scd-c.../#ixzz0wQgWsVpX

Almond Flour skillet flat bread

Ingredients

1 egg

1/2 teaspoon baking soda

1/3 cup yogurt

1-1/2 teaspoons oil

honey to taste (optional)

1 cup almond flour

Instructions

1. In a small bowl and with a fork, beat the egg, yogurt and baking soda. Let foam for a minute or two and then beat in the oil and honey. Add the flour last. The batter should be thick.

2. For each pita make a pancake using 2 rounded tablespoons of batter dropped onto a lightly greased skillet. Cook like pancakes over medium heat. When done, move to plate to cool.

3. Split (like a pita) and fill with your favorite sandwich fixings. Wrap extras and store in the fridge. Makes 3 pitas

From this Specific Carb diet site. There are quite a few bread and bread-like recipes to check out here: http://www.scdrecipe.com/recipes-bread/skillet-pita-bread/

MemberMember
(@alternativista)

Posted : 09/11/2010 11:12 am

Wheat/Gluten Free

Fermented bean and rice Indian breadlike thing called Idlis

http://wholehealthsource.blogspot.com/2008...d-ix-idlis.html for pictures, info on the tradition,etc.

Ingredients and materials

* One cup urad dal or other dried bean (I suggest lentils for the protein)

* Two cups short-grain brown or white rice

* One teaspoon fenugreek seeds

* Two teaspoons non-iodized salt

* Filtered or otherwise dechlorinated water

* Muffin tray

* Large pot for steaming (optional)

Recipe

1. Soak urad dal and rice separately for 6 hours (longer if you're using a different type of bean). Add fenugreek to the rice before soaking (optional). It's used traditionally to speed fermentation.

2. Pour water off the urad dal and rice/fenugreek mixture. Don't rinse.

3. Grind the urad dal in a food process or or blender with a minimum amount of water until it's a smooth paste. The water must not be chlorinated or it will kill our bacteria! Brita-type water filters remove chlorine, as does boiling or leaving water uncovered overnight.

4. Grind the rice/fenugreek mixture coarsely with a minimum amount of dechlorinated water.

5. Mix the ground urad dal, ground rice and salt. The salt must be non-iodized, or the batter will not ferment! Pickling salt, kosher salt and unrefined sea salt work well. Add dechlorinated water until it's a thick paste, stirrable but not liquid.

6. Ferment for 24-48 hours. You know it's ready when the dough has risen significantly, and the odor has gone from harsh and beany to mild and savory. Fermentation time will depend on the ambient temperature.

7. Fill muffin trays about half-way with batter and steam until a knife inserted into them comes out clean, 15-20 minutes. You can also bake them at 350 F. It's not traditional, but I like them baked almost as much. If you really want to be traditional, you can buy an idli steamer.

---------------------

And an acne.org members description of making dosa (like a crepe) and idli batter. It's the same batter so you can make both.

http://www.acne.org/messageboard/index.php...t&p=3016898