Notifications
Clear all

Girls: did Accutane change your period?

MemberMember
(@allison12)

Posted : 01/18/2009 1:47 am

I'm almost finished my second month of Accutane.

My periods have always been really regular, but this last one was 6 days late. I can't think of any reasons besides Accutane...

I'm not on any kind of birth control either, so that's not the cause.

So I'm just wondering, did anyone find that Accutane screwed up their periods?

(@Anonymous)

Posted : 01/18/2009 7:51 am

Yes, accutane messed up my period for the first 2 months, so much so that I thought I was either pregnant or going into early menopause! But It went back to normal after two months.

MemberMember
(@siava)

Posted : 01/18/2009 3:13 pm

They still came like clockwork, but the consistency was thicker and the cramps were more painful. I chalk it up to the body needing more water. Everything is back to normal now that the course is over.

MemberMember
(@allison12)

Posted : 01/18/2009 6:00 pm

Thanks to both of you.

It doesn't seem like the actual period is any different than normal, it's just the timing that's off. I guess I'll have to wait and see what happens next month - it's possible it wasn't even related to Accutane.

MemberMember
(@nlmlillysmom)

Posted : 01/18/2009 9:04 pm

Aren't you following the iPledge protocol? Your doctor should not be giving it to you if you aren't. I know you said you aren't on any sort of birth control, but you should be using 2 forms (doesn't have to be the pill).

Because I am on the pill, my periods have not changed at all.

Sorry to be a nag, but I can't imagine how mortifying it would be to become pregnant while taking the drug, as it is proven to cause birth defects (not just increase the chances, it will cause defects).

MemberMember
(@allison12)

Posted : 01/19/2009 12:07 am

I'm in Canada, and we don't have iPledge here. My doctor is allowed to prescribe me Accutane if she trusts that I'm abstinent. And I am.

And thanks for your concern, but I know very well that Accutane causes birth defects. I spent a looong time looking at the side effects before finally deciding to take it, and got a stern warning from my doctor about birth defects. But I'm definitely not going to get pregnant, so it's not a problem.

MemberMember
(@yo-adrienne)

Posted : 01/19/2009 12:23 am

my frist month on accutane i had irregular bleeding. it was like having a month long period... weird. but it went back to normal by the 2nd month. i told my doctor about it and he didnt seem too concerned.

MemberMember
(@njcollegegirl)

Posted : 01/19/2009 3:23 am

Aren't you following the iPledge protocol? Your doctor should not be giving it to you if you aren't. I know you said you aren't on any sort of birth control, but you should be using 2 forms (doesn't have to be the pill).

Because I am on the pill, my periods have not changed at all.

Sorry to be a nag, but I can't imagine how mortifying it would be to become pregnant while taking the drug, as it is proven to cause birth defects (not just increase the chances, it will cause defects).

you dont have to be on birth control. you just tell the dermatologist that you are using it and just not pop the pills. i dont use it either. it wont show up in your blood work that you arent using bc pills. just dont do anything risky.

MemberMember
(@allison12)

Posted : 01/21/2009 11:50 pm

I feel like it's a better decision to not be on birth control if you don't have to be. I am 100 % sure I'll be abstinent until I finish my course of Accutane, so there's no reason for me to take it.

Birth control pills come with side effects too; I don't want to deal with those on top of the ones I already have from Accutane.

MemberMember
(@devendralover)

Posted : 01/22/2009 11:45 am

Before my accutane course my period was all willy nilly and during my course it became regular. During my course my period would last 4-5 days and now that I am off it lasts 2 days max (thank god!) Since I am no longer on the meds my period is showing up whenever it wants again.

MemberMember
(@p-chan)

Posted : 07/26/2009 8:17 pm

I just had my period on the 13th, and now I'm starting again! It's the opposite of what most are saying on here, so I'm going to discuss this with my doctor tomorrow.

MemberMember
(@ocean27)

Posted : 07/28/2009 4:05 am

I just had my period on the 13th, and now I'm starting again! It's the opposite of what most are saying on here, so I'm going to discuss this with my doctor tomorrow.

Mine started earlier than usual too this month and it seemed to go on for longer...

MemberMember
(@supervacaneous)

Posted : 08/13/2009 9:35 pm

Well, I've been on Accutane for 26 days now and I missed my scheduled period. Not sure if it's normal. I also live in Canada and am not on any birth control.

Let's see how this goes :S

MemberMember
(@queen-bee)

Posted : 08/17/2009 10:19 pm

Thank Goodness for this site!!!! I thought for sure i was the only one with an irregular period. Its like a whole month of a period. Its my first month on accuatane and first month on BCP. My Dr. knew but because i am a sunday starter i couldnt start till the week before accutane. Its a weird first month. I guess its fine because i am abstinent now, and will be through this course of accutane, but it still kinda sucks to be on my period this whole month.

MemberMember
(@mert1)

Posted : 08/18/2009 10:24 pm

I'm on bc pills. i have been timely, but very heavy now, which is odd for me.

MemberMember
(@brittbrat4416)

Posted : 08/19/2009 1:47 pm

I was put on yaz last month and got my regular period. I started accutane this month also and I just finished the inactive pills of yaz and still no period. Should I be concerned or is this normal? Oh and I know for sure I'm not pregnant so thats not the issue.......

MemberMember
(@sandra2020)

Posted : 07/30/2010 5:03 pm

I see that mosly the first 2 months are the problem, I think it's normal to miss periods while on accuane, I'm on the second month + of it, and i didn't personally go through this YET, But i'm kinda worried cuz i had to have my period today morning, and stilll nothing, I'll wait for tomorrow, cuz it''s normal, It sometimes doesn't come exactly in the same day! it's not accurate it can be plus minus a day i hope...

But in the first month when i got my period, it was UN-BEAR-ABLE!!!! i got really weird pains and cramps that i never had before accutane.... i was about to faint..... it was rly rly bad..... I'm sure it''s cuz of accutane,cuz I mostly have regular periods with not that bad pains...

MemberMember
(@sglo)

Posted : 07/31/2010 1:53 pm

You and I are int he same boat. I just posted in another thread about this. I am NOT on birth control pills or any type of hormonal birth control (my husband got a vasectomy 2 yrs ago,) and I haven't had my period since JUNE. (That's when I started accutane.)

I read what a few ladies here said about their experience, like the one that didn't have it for a couple months, then it went back to normal....I hope that's what will happen for me.

And when it does eventually happen, hopefully, it won't be as painful as that one individual mentioned. That sounds horrid.

MemberMember
(@sandra2020)

Posted : 07/31/2010 2:53 pm

HEY girls, it's me again.... I'm so sad and worried.... I had to get my period 2 days ago, And stilll nothing....

It's almost my second month on Accutane, My first month period was ok the date was ok and everything was just as usual, but i kind of had wierd pains but it''s ok....

But now it seems like i missed my second month period.... It really drives me crazy, I'm SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO WORRIED...........so what do you think? will It continue like this? or will everything get back to normal after the second month of accutane? or what :'(

(And i'm not on any BCP....and i never had any kind of intercourse or that... :(

MemberMember
(@danahcharlene)

Posted : 10/12/2010 8:04 am

Hey ladies :)

I'm from Australia and we call "accutane" Roaccutaine haha. Anyway.... Periods.. I started my course after my periods.. And I'm due again now, so far I've had 2 weeks worth of period pain and no bleeding, which is weird for me coz I normally only get one day of bleeding and then that night I get my periods.

I also swell and I've been swollen for 2 weeks -__-

I'm not on birth control coz I rarely have sexy times.

Is this coz of the meds?

Xx

MemberMember
(@oooh)

Posted : 10/13/2010 7:59 pm

my period came a little early and last 9 days.

started off super light, then hit heavy, then regular. weird.

MemberMember
(@ellohi)

Posted : 10/15/2010 3:47 pm

hello girls who are on accutane ...i have been taking accutane since january because i am only taking 20 mg , over 20 mg it doesnt suit me and i have been abstinent since july 2009 so basically since a year... my periods have been normal and now all of a sudden when i increased my dose in the first week of september to 30 mg it did work for me for a while but then i started geting headaches then i just did on and off thing skipped the pills for 3-4 days and started taking them again....but i didnt get my periods last month (sep 15), and today is oct (15) still not here yet they are two months delayed i am just wondering what could be the reason i know i am not pregnant because i have been abstinent i am really worried and i feel like i am gonna get periods anytime i just have that feeling what could be the problem i am really worried hopefully i will get them soon

MemberMember
(@whenyougotagoodthing)

Posted : 04/28/2011 6:12 pm

This is my second time on accutane, im three months on it now, and i was on 60 before but my dermotologist bumped me up to 80 last month...and my periods have been comming late, the first time it was 21 days late and the time after was 10 and this time was 2, its going down but its still kinda scary! So is this an effect of accutane or what?

MemberMember
(@raisamiruna)

Posted : 05/02/2011 3:51 pm

This is my second time on accutane, im three months on it now, and i was on 60 before but my dermotologist bumped me up to 80 last month...and my periods have been comming late, the first time it was 21 days late and the time after was 10 and this time was 2, its going down but its still kinda scary! So is this an effect of accutane or what?

Same here, in first month of treatment 20 days late (nothing unusual besides this), now I'm waiting to see the second one. But I think your body is just getting used at the beginning of the treatment and it will be regular again as most of the people here say and as you can see, the delay is decreasing.

MemberMember
(@emilylaessle)

Posted : 05/02/2011 6:00 pm

I have heard a lot of girls saying that there periods were late but has anyone experienced a difference in the flow? I have been on accutane for two whole months now and have not been late really it seems to be coming around the same time as always however, I have had bad cramps and it is a lot heavier then normal. Almost to the point where I thought I should go in. Has anyone had anything like this happen to them?