Notifications
Clear all

Mixing doxycycline and alcohol

MemberMember
(@paulyd)

Posted : 09/25/2008 4:56 am

With any antibiotic, it's advised not to mix the treatment with the consumption of alcohol. Im on this stuff for a few months and plan to atleast have a few heavy drinking session in the mean time. Has any one experienced bad side affects of doing this or does any one have any facts about drinking while on doxy.

Much appreciated.

MemberMember
(@adam08)

Posted : 09/25/2008 5:12 am

im not sure sorry. up the hawks!

MemberMember
(@adam08)

Posted : 09/25/2008 5:18 am

i can tell you that my brother has been on it for ages and he bingers most weeks...not sure if it's hurting him though

MemberMember
(@paulyd)

Posted : 09/25/2008 7:41 pm

mmmk

MemberMember
(@makeitmakesense)

Posted : 09/25/2008 8:37 pm

If you don't get too many side effects from the medication sober then chances are you probably won't get any if you drink. I was scared to drink when I was taking them because by themselves they always gave me a headache and made me feel dizzy.

MemberMember
(@austinsanity)

Posted : 09/25/2008 8:42 pm

With any antibiotic, it's advised not to mix the treatment with the consumption of alcohol. Im on this stuff for a few months and plan to atleast have a few heavy drinking session in the mean time. Has any one experienced bad side affects of doing this or does any one have any facts about drinking while on doxy.

Much appreciated.

As far as I know and have been told, the only problem that could arise with taking one of the tetracycline derivatives and consuming a lot of alcohol at the same time is the effect it'll have on your liver. It wasn't made to take that kind of abuse.

MemberMember
(@paulyd)

Posted : 09/26/2008 3:59 am

say if i stopped taking the antibiotic 24 hours before drinking, you think that would ease up the strain on my liver?

MemberMember
(@sophiena1143)

Posted : 09/26/2008 9:05 am

just don't drink allll the time.

i was on doxy before and drank a few times but not like every night or even every weekend. made me feel crappy

MemberMember
(@kc01cxt)

Posted : 09/26/2008 12:47 pm

What happens when you take antibiotics is the effectivess level drops. It's not hazardous to drink alcohol with them (only Flagyl is).

MemberMember
(@paulyd)

Posted : 09/28/2008 5:59 am

spanks guys lol. so if i die theyre gonna look here n charge u all with murder haha

MemberMember
(@katrinb)

Posted : 02/15/2009 9:56 am

It looks like it's safe to drink moderate amounts of alcohol with doxycycline. Doxycycline does not interact with alcohol.

"Elimination of the bacteriostatics tetracycline and doxycycline was compared in patients on long-term alcohol consumption to that in healthy controls. The half-life of doxycycline but not that of tetracycline was significantly shorter in alcoholics than in controls and in some patients the serum concentration of doxycycline decreased below the generally accepted minimum therapeutic concentration when dosed once daily. So, the dosing twice daily might be indicated especially if additional inducing drugs are used."

Effect of long-term alcohol consumption on the half-life of tetracycline and doxycycline in man

"Chronic alcohol consumption may enhance the elimination of doxycycline"

Drugs.com doxycycline and Alcohol Interactions

MemberMember
(@sophiedoll)

Posted : 03/05/2009 4:48 am

i did it last night and im fine! usualy find i have an awful hangover from it... doesnt drinking make acne worse? xx

MemberMember
(@tonycoleman56)

Posted : 04/12/2013 12:12 am

There is no danger or hazard when taking doxycycline with alcohol. However, you are correct when consuming large quantities of alcohol mixed with doxycycline will most certainly reduce the effectiveness of the drug.