Notifications
Clear all

Gonna buy a Juicer...

MemberMember
(@deeagony)

Posted : 07/14/2007 8:43 pm

I've never owned one, but I really want one.

Honestly, as far as shopping for one goes, I'm completely clueless. I could really use some help, & practical suggestions.

I got a magazine that has a Jack LaLanne Power Juicer model in it...Is that a good one..? It's priced at a hundred bucks.. Not sure if that's reasonable either..

Please help me out.

MemberMember
(@blackbirdbeatle)

Posted : 07/15/2007 1:10 am

None of the juicers under a few hundred dollars are worth much really. They spin too fast. You might as well use a blender and strain the pulp (or keep it in).

You want one that uses low revolutions. In effect they grind. Of course these cost hundreds more than a Waring Pro or something(And the waring is the best of the fast juicers).

MemberMember
(@deeagony)

Posted : 07/15/2007 1:28 am

Wow, that's really negative.. :(

Ok, could someone tell me what brands are good then, please?

(@Anonymous)

Posted : 07/15/2007 1:30 am

go to amazon.com and checkout other people's reviews

MemberMember
(@heartless)

Posted : 07/15/2007 1:54 am

I've owned several brands of juicers from Philips to the Juice Lady to the Juiceman to Breville. My preference is the Breville [Removed hyperlink] . When on sale, it's about $100 Canadian.

My recommendation is to get one with a large feed tube which can fit a whole apple whereas the ones with small chutes require you to cut up every piece of fruit/vegetable...a pure pain. Other features to look for include a large pulp catcher (tip: line the pulp container with a plastic produce bag...when you're done, just lift out the bag and dispose of the pulp thus saving on having to clean the pulp container) and multiple speeds (the Breville has a 2 speed switch) to accomodate produce of differing hardnesses.

There's more expensive brands like Champion etc., but the $100 versions will do just as nicely; after all, you're not trying to churn produce into liquid gold.

MemberMember
(@deeagony)

Posted : 07/15/2007 2:42 am

Thank you...

Wow, a Breville 800J EXL Elite... seems here they run about :- $300.00 typically.

This juicer would be just for me.. I would probably use it aggressively though.. I wouldn't mind doing some chopping.. Hmm..

With prices and selections like these, may have to go in for smoothies instead.

I'm kinda floored that some of them cost this much. I remember when juicing got really popular in the 80's.. Guess I figured they'd have come along farther for the consumer by now.

I just checked your link, those run about what I was going to spend anyways. Thanks again for your reply!

Hmmm.. The JE95XL Juice Fountain Plus looks nice too.. See if I can find one priced right.. This is an adventure.

Found this site while poking around..

[Edited link out]

*sigh* These kind of monetary decisions have never been easy for me. I found a fantastic factory refurbished deal, but the warranty is limited, nine months..

I just don't know. I'm a stickler for the best deal I can get.

MemberMember
(@deeagony)

Posted : 07/15/2007 2:51 pm

I got studied up on the topic. Seems a masticating juicer is the best for nutrition.

Found a new commercial champion for $225.00...While one part of me knows it's a pretty good deal for a high end juicer.. Has a great warranty.. We could technically afford it..

I'm still not sure.

One of the more common sense issues is whether or not I'll use it everyday. At that price, I'd better!

Does anyone in here own one?

How hard is this thing to clean? Will it do a good job on green leafy veggies too?

I do consider it an investment in my health, but... I'm stressing over the cost.

MemberMember
(@dannyaa)

Posted : 07/15/2007 2:53 pm

Imo the best one is the VitaMix

http://www.vitamix.com/

MemberMember
(@deeagony)

Posted : 07/15/2007 2:59 pm

That's very interesting, thanks!

Unfortunately, they are using an insecure short public encryption key, & I got booted. How much does that thing run? I noticed it comes in different kits. I didn't get to look..

Do you own one? If so, how often do you use it? Ever owned a juicer? Are there other products that are similair to compare it with?

*sigh*

By the time I get around to actually purchasing something, I'll know everything about these machines, & will have gone grey. :S

MemberMember
(@dannyaa)

Posted : 07/15/2007 3:08 pm

That's very interesting, thanks!

Unfortunately, they are using an insecure short public encryption key, & I got booted. How much does that thing run? I noticed it comes in different kits. I didn't get to look..

Do you own one? If so, how often do you use it? Ever owned a juicer?

MemberMember
(@deeagony)

Posted : 07/15/2007 3:13 pm

you can't go wrong with it
MemberMember
(@deeagony)

Posted : 07/15/2007 3:17 pm

http://www.bestjuicers.com/vitamix.html

I hope more folks will get involved in the discussion. I'm going to hold off on any purchase until I'm completely sure about it. Thanks very much for the replies. They are all valued.

MemberMember
(@mineralmel)

Posted : 07/15/2007 3:40 pm

I have a vitamix, and I love it. Another very high quality blender is the K-Tec blender. I think it costs even more though [Edited link out]

Edit: I just realized you're looking for a juicer not a blender. In that case, I'd recommend the GreenStar or a Champion.

MemberMember
(@iceboi)

Posted : 07/15/2007 3:44 pm

Get The Jack LaLanne Juicer the new Stainless silver one they have its about $180USD. Best Juicer I have ever used and a major plus for me they have LIFETIME WARRANTY on the Motor that runs the juicer!!! That's a major bonus for me since most juicers i use the motor always burns out.

MemberMember
(@deeagony)

Posted : 07/15/2007 6:59 pm

... Found an online community of veg head juicers and blender gurus...

OMG! Wow! There's whole entire crew of blender and juicer snobs out there! Who would've thunk it?!

People will find a reason to be snooty about anything!

Wow, just wow...!

I won't let it turn me off of the idea, but I could never be like that. What a bunch of horseshit!

MemberMember
(@blackbirdbeatle)

Posted : 07/15/2007 7:10 pm

Don't listen to anyone else here and buy a low RPM juicer if you want all the nutrients. That other juicer links claims it smashes every particle against the blades as if that's a good thing. Masticating juicer run at high speeds. Well over 1000RPM's and up to tens of thousands.

YOu are going to have to cough up $250-$400 for a good one but it will last you forever. The george forman grill has a long warranty too but it sucks. Warranty just means the product is built soundly or even it's cheap for them to replace it.

If I were to buy another one there woudl be no doubt that I woudl get an Omega 8005 or 8005 series juicer. It runs at 80 RPM not 20,000.

MemberMember
(@deeagony)

Posted : 07/15/2007 8:32 pm

Thanks..

I think we're going to pay the credit cards off and buy a greenstar gold.. I want something that'll do beets, carrots, & green leafies..

Well, I'll keep researching, and might change my mind on brand, but nutrition wise, the juicer is the way to get those nutrients straight to the cells faster.

I believe in living well, but I simply cannot, nor will ever be a snob about it.

Here's a good article that explains the difference in health benefits between those high end blenders and a good solid juicer.. Not that we wouldn't someday enjoy a good high end blender. I understand the draw.

http://www.discountjuicers.com/vitamix.html

what they don't tell you is that because there is pulp in the juice, the nutrients cannot pass directly into the blood stream as does pure juice from a juicer, and thus must go to the stomach and through the digestive process. Because this blended pulp and juice is in a liquid form, it does not get chewed in the mouth where the digestive enzymes would normally be released as when whole raw foods are chewed. And so this "puree" goes directly to the stomach without the digestive enzymes and becomes a difficult substance for the body to deal with. Because of this, very few of the nutrients find their way to the cellular level of the body, which is where nutrients must go if we are to receive any benefit from the foods we eat or the juices we drink.
MemberMember
(@denise2)

Posted : 07/15/2007 8:41 pm

Jack Lalanne without a doubt!!!!!!!!! Motor for life warranty...you don't have to CUT UP the fruit and veggies FIRST.....it's a fantastic product. I've owned a coupla different brands but Jack's is the best.

MemberMember
(@blackbirdbeatle)

Posted : 07/15/2007 11:30 pm

You don't have to be a snob about it. All you have to remember is that the lower the RPM the better. That's it. A 40 year lifetime warranty means nothing if the blades turn at 20,000RPM. All you are getting is a fancy blender. You can have a similar effect by blending it and straining it through a cheesecloth. it will cost you $20.00

MemberMember
(@deeagony)

Posted : 07/16/2007 1:43 am

Point taken. *salutes* ;)

MemberMember
(@dannyaa)

Posted : 07/16/2007 4:15 am

You don't have to be a snob about it. All you have to remember is that the lower the RPM the better. That's it. A 40 year lifetime warranty means nothing if the blades turn at 20,000RPM. All you are getting is a fancy blender. You can have a similar effect by blending it and straining it through a cheesecloth. it will cost you $20.00
MemberMember
(@blackbirdbeatle)

Posted : 07/16/2007 9:43 am

I've never seen a low RPM juicer miss anything(There are only a few though). Maybe a cheap high RPM blender but a proper juicer doesn't do that.

I wasn't saying anything about a low RPM blender. I've don't think I know of any low RPM blenders, just juicers. Make a green smoothie with a normal blender instead of a 100.00 celebrity juicer. Crush ice or whip up stuff with high speed mixer of blender, sure.

I'm just talking about juicers.

MemberMember
(@alternativista)

Posted : 07/16/2007 10:25 am

Wow, that's really negative.. :(

Ok, could someone tell me what brands are good then, please?